Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ONLY reason I bought the new Ascent 2019 was for my three grandchildren hence needing three car seats and one or two passengers. We already know the car seats barely work in the third row if you get creative, not sure how safe they are but no choice. I’m sick about it! I’m angry about the money I spent for this third row, captain middle seats (assumed two seats would fit third row) ascent vehicle. Please God in Heaven, I’m praying a brain will figure out how to correctly design seatbelts and the car seat hooks in third row. Whoever did the 2019, has never used a car seat in his life! If you got two car seats secured “correctly” in third row, count yourself one of the lucky ones. I even researched and bought the seats that were supposed to fit?
Lynn

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
The ONLY reason I bought the new Ascent 2019 was for my three grandchildren hence needing three car seats and one or two passengers. We already know the car seats barely work in the third row if you get creative, not sure how safe they are but no choice. I’m sick about it! I’m angry about the money I spent for this third row, captain middle seats (assumed two seats would fit third row) ascent vehicle. Please God in Heaven, I’m praying a brain will figure out how to correctly design seatbelts and the car seat hooks in third row. Whoever did the 2019, has never used a car seat in his life! If you got two car seats secured “correctly” in third row, count yourself one of the lucky ones. I even researched and bought the seats that were supposed to fit?
Lynn
Third row seat has two LATCH points on the driver's side, hidden under velcro attached leather/fabric cover pieces. Are you using those?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Booster seats don't work in the 3rd row. 69yo wife has to crawl over the middle row and sit in the 3rd row, because booster seats are wider than the seat-belt width.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here's the booster seat I have, works great in the 3rd row:
https://www.amazon.com/Hiccapop-Uberboost-Inflatable-Backless-Portable/dp/B07DRLRHB8
They are inflatable, haven't heard any complaints from my kids, its anti-slip surface at the bottom keeps it in place.

I've also used a front facing seat by Recaro on the third row without any issues (other than my own back pain to place it there, it is very bulky and heavy), luckily I'm not using that one anymore, but worked well.

The universal rear/front facing is a reclining one and needs a lot of room to properly rotate so it goes in the second row. Universals tend to be much longer because the small babies are tilted rather than sitting upright. Only the upright ones go well in the third row.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Booster seats don't work in the 3rd row. 69yo wife has to crawl over the middle row and sit in the 3rd row, because booster seats are wider than the seat-belt width.
Greetings,

I always have a booster in the 3rd row, and I sometimes have 2. Yes, the 3rd row drivers side is on the narrow side and is a little more difficult to buckle. But it's simply not true to say boosters don't work in the 3rd row.

You probably know that boosters (and car seats in general) come in a range of widths. I have one that is 17 inches wide and another that is 16 inches wide. As it happens, it's the larger of the two that I sometimes use on the driver's side. Anything larger (i.e., more than 17 inches) would be difficult to use there. The passenger side can accommodate something several inches wider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts