Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Car Seat Chime and Carseat with Latch system

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  wyoswen 
#1 ·
Hi there! We've had our 2021 ascent for three days, and my husband left this morning with three kids for a 12 hour trip. Two boosters and one 5 point harness car seat in the middle bench. We got the car seats in last night, and picked up the kids from childcare to see how they all fit, everything was fine. This morning, they left, and everything was fine for two hours. 150 miles into their trip, the constant car seat chiming is going off. Its saying the back right passenger is not buckled. That passenger is my 4 yr old, who is in a car seat using the latch system, so technically her buckle isn't buckled. Do you just have to buckle AND latch car seats? I did see there was a way to disable the chime, but we don't want to do that permanently. Does anyone know why it didn't go off for the first two hours and just started seemingly randomly? Thanks!

#4 ·
Yeah, we've had the same problem, but with us it was a couple of months of driving without it going off, then randomly it would start chiming sometimes. And only solution for us was what was mentioned above, just buckling the regular buckle as well, just to shut the dang thing up. Seems silly, but didn't know what else to try.

#6 · (Edited)
This is what happened with us. I wonder if there is a weight threshold where it starts to trigger something? We didn't have the chime for the first ~5 months of ownership but we started to notice it over the past month; it's very persistent now. Seats are very snug as I tightened them down with my body weight on the seats.

Interesting thing for us was at first it only happened when going over bumps, dips, etc., however, today it chimed non-stop for a couple minutes on mostly perfectly flat highway. No bumps, pot holes, dips, turns... So I ended up making my daughter run the seatbelt across he lap just to shut it up.

It doesn't happen on my son's side yet, who is about 10 lbs lighter; they're in the same exact carseats too. That's why I wonder if there's a certain amount of weight it takes to trigger the sensor/chime.

#5 ·
I did notice once time it happened the carseat seemed a tiny bit less snug than it should be, which can kind of happen over time sometime as the buckle gradually loosens (or stretches?) So might also be a good time to double check that the carseat itself is as tightly buckled in as it's supposed to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.