Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced a situation where you put your car in Park and the car rolls forward? On a few occasions I stopped my car and put it park. It rolled forward a few feet before I could get back in and apply the breaks. Twice the engine was running, once it was not. I am planning to take it in ASAP but was curious if anyone had this issue. It’s extremely concerning. I’m certainly not happy.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Has anyone experienced a situation where you put your car in Park and the car rolls forward? On a few occasions I stopped my car and put it park. It rolled forward a few feet before I could get back in and apply the breaks. Twice the engine was running, once it was not. I am planning to take it in ASAP but was curious if anyone had this issue. It’s extremely concerning. I’m certainly not happy.
Are you also using automatic vehicle hold? If I press the brake for a long moment with this feature on, the vehicle will automatically continue to apply the brake without me pressing down on it. I then change to park.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
The car should only capable of rolling forward a few feet when in park if the parking pawl in the transmission has snapped, or, if the transmission doesn't know it's in park.

I'd definitely take it in. It's possible that the shift mechanism is damaged or needs adjustment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car should only capable of rolling forward a few feet when in park if the parking pawl in the transmission has snapped, or, if the transmission doesn't know it's in park.

I'd definitely take it in. It's possible that the shift mechanism is damaged or needs adjustment.
Thanks for the insight Robert. It is certainly out of the range of ordinary ‘roll’ when put in park. I had the recall done on it for transmission hydraulic sensor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me today. Park the car, normal kick back from my slanted driveway, started getting kids out and all of a sudden car rolls about 6 inches. Moved car up, waited it did it again. Applied parking break for now. My recall appointment is Friday so definitely will be bringing that up.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
This just happened to me today. Park the car, normal kick back from my slanted driveway, started getting kids out and all of a sudden car rolls about 6 inches. Moved car up, waited it did it again. Applied parking break for now. My recall appointment is Friday so definitely will be bringing that up.
Definitely bring it in. Like I said above:

And, finally, remember, with the Ascent, you are always supposed to use the parking brake, no matter how flat or angled the parking area is, and it should be engaged before taking your foot off the brake pedal.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Park is supposed to hold the car without the brake. Otherwise it's called Neutral.
Not anymore. It's even mentioned in the manual. Since the 1960s, it's actually never been intended as the sole mechanism to hold a vehicle, even though the name implies otherwise.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Agree with SkiPro3. There is no reason it shouldn't be able to hold the vehicle reliably. Apply the parking brake is belts and suspenders.
Alas, the manual, the manufacturer and the regulations disagree with you two about what's the proper use of the car. ?

When people suggest to use it otherwise and others do so, it has cost people a very expensive transmission repair on numerous vehicles from a myriad of brands, where the parking pawl has been snapped from such misuse. ?

·
Registered
561 Posts
No, I didn't say the sole means of holding, but if the car freely rolls in park, what's the difference between Park and Neutral then? And for that matter, a parking brake is NOT supposed to hold a car on it's own either. I can assure you, in San Francisco or other hilly area, a parking brake on a car in neutral isn't gonna always do the job. In fact, the law there says you have to turn your wheel into the curb to hold for just that reason. They patrol and if your tires are not turned, you get a ticket.
Anyways, on a slight grade, in Park, a vehicle should not roll freely as described. I just tested mine on a fairly steep driveway. My Park holds as I would have expected. Meaning; either mine is wrong or the OP's is wrong. No amount of verbage in a manual is going to exonerate the manufacturer if a vehicle in park rolls freely away because the parking brake wasn't set. If Subaru says that the parking brake must be set every time it's put in park, then they ought to make it do so automatically. Why make this a two step process? What possible reason would someone have for putting a car in park and not set the brake if they say it's required?

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Yes, but that's why the instructions say to apply the parking brake, put the car in park, and then take one's foot off the brake. Both are always supposed to be used, and, key thing, the weight of the car is supposed to be on the parking brake, and not the parking pawl.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
If Subaru says that the parking brake must be set every time it's put in park, then they ought to make it do so automatically.
EVERYONE in the country says to. Read my link above. GM (all GMs, not just my example in the link) is just one of every car company in the country that says to. Not Subaru, but literally virtually everyone. ?

·
Registered
561 Posts
This topic brings up something that has disturbed me ever since I realized the EMERGENCY brake is electronic. My training instructed me that, if the primary braking system failed, I could use the E-brake to slow down by modulating the pressure on the E-brake by keeping the button (if it's hand operated) or lever (if foot operated) depressed and riding the brake lever with pressure. The new E-brake doesn't do that. I wonder if the E-brake even can be actuated in Drive position at all. Something else I'll have to test....

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
On that note, I'd love to see an automatic system that truly works. And by that, I mean one that, when the car is shifted into park, it holds the brakes, then applies the parking brake, and then releases the hydraulic brake pressure.

I suspect that automatic parking brakes are going to become a lot more common in the future.

·
Registered
561 Posts
EVERYONE in the country says to. Read my link above. GM (all GMs, not just my example in the link) is just one of every car company in the country that says to. Not Subaru, but literally virtually everyone. ?
Yes, I understand that. But that doesn't preclude that vehicles ought to not roll when in park and the brake not set. It's an electronic brake. What happens when the battery dies? Batteries fail all the time, especially Ascent factory batteries. When it does, the parking brake won't work. What then?
And still I ask; if Parking doesn't hold, then why have it? If it does hold, and mine does, it ought to hold on all Ascents. The parking brake is a secondary back-up system to Park. Maybe manufactures do advise it be used every time, but it should then be mechanical in nature as they were in past years.
Would be an interesting test; set the parking brake, remove the battery and see if the brake is released. If it isn't then what happens if you are towed and the parking brake was set prior to a dead battery? Yea, this ain't good.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts