Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things that nags at me about the Ascent is the uncertainty about having bought a first model year car, which my dad and conventional wisdom always suggested was a mistake.

The rational side of me says it's not that risky due to extensive testing, improved technology and Subaru general quality. Car makers are likely closely scrutinizing repair data for potential trouble spots they can improve, which could mean that odd problems get identified fixes faster than a car later in its model cycle.

But its hard to avoid nagging doubts about serious issues caused by design flaws or initial assembly snafus, especially if you go looking for them.

I'm curious if there's any data or even anecdotal info about what the best first model year cars were. I gotta believe there are some where the stars managed to align and engineering, manufacturing and so on all combined to make a new model extremely reliable.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
From my experience, the 2007 Camry. It was not perfect but it's reliable.

The issue were:
1. V6 tranny shifting problem (fixed w/in a year or less)
2. I4 oil consumption (more prevalent for 100K miles)

Their strong foundation:
1. Proven V6 (very old engine block)
2. Proven I4 (tested since 2002)
3. Body/chassis remain the similar from previous generation

The Ascent is much different in most aspects and we're truly early adopters; every major components implemented are Subaru's first time. They're collecting data as we speak and hopeful that it will succeed based on their design and engineering.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
It's almost universal that first year platforms will have some growing plains and I suspect it would be really hard to quantify and calculate who's had the most success. While some folks consider recalls (for correctable issues) to be a negative, I consider them just the opposite...the manufacturer is acknowledging something isn't right and is providing an organized plan and method to take care of it for owners. I've had a few vehicles that were first model year and my experience has, to-date, been positive. I've had vehicles that had several years experience with a platform that just were not satisfying.

From a platform perspective, Ascent had the advantage that other sister models had already made the transition. (The new Outback for MY20 shares that benefit) The "newest thing" for the Ascent is the 2.4L Turbo engine so one would expect a few things needing to be adjusted early on in the model year. Beyond that...stuff breaks on any vehicle of any manufacturer of any model year. Sometimes it seems like the sky is falling, but it's pretty much a given that folks tend to speak more loudly about issues than they do about things they love--they are just more prone to seek out advise or vent about a problem than they are to be fanbois. Human nature.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I read recently that new models have actually become very reliable, thanks to some feedback loop involving pre-release testing, improved sensors (so the testing provides concrete feedback), and the generally high investment makers have in a new model. Carmakers *need* it to be reliable, and hence successful, because it's not just a one-time bet, it's often a 10 or more year commitment to an entire platform.

·
Registered
764 Posts
When you look at the what is actually in the car, I don't worry at all. The High torque CVT is essentially the same as high torque cvt that has been in the 3.6R outback since 2014, with simple improvements. The engine is very similar to the 2.0 turbo that has been in the Forester and WRX since 2013, again with simple improvements. The suspension is essentially the same that has been on every subaru for years. The head unit was first used in the impreza in 2016. They went through a few glitches and improvements, but its been much better than it was at the impreza launch. The structure (global platform) has received some of the best reviews for any brand when it comes strength, ride, and safety. That was again developed in 2016 for the Impreza.

This car is new, but the parts its made from are not new to Subaru.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am 75 yo and have owned multiple cars. Some Toyota vans were first year models. Went on to own three more Toyota-vans which all performed well. Acura as well and first year Lexus models. I Had no hesitation purchasing my Ascent Touring. It has performed very well and love the car. I have no problem buying first year iteration from respectable automakers

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Subaru is more likely to produce a more reliable car in its first year of production than many car makers can produce after multiple years of production. Take a look at Consumer Reports' vehicle reliability records which to the best of my knowledge is the biggest, best, and most trustworthy database on this in existence. Subaru is currently rated #2 out of 28 in reliability.

Bottom

Facts are facts. I would much rather purchase a first-year product from Subaru than a mature model from say, Chrysler. Odds are the Subaru is going to be far more reliable even if it's in its first year.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The only reason the Impreza scored as the worst is because of the HU issues which have now ben fixed. My 17 has been the most reliable Subaru I have owned. My 2010 Outback the worst

·
Registered
561 Posts
The only reason the Impreza scored as the worst is because of the HU issues which have now ben fixed. My 17 has been the most reliable Subaru I have owned. My 2010 Outback the worst
What were the major issues with your 2010 Outback?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.