Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So they just updated the TCM ECU ( 2 recall) on my 2019 subaru ascent. The car feels smother especially at low speed. I didn’t feel the stuttering issue anymore. However, the car feels sluggish at take off. I don’t know it this is normal. I like the way the car accelerates before the uodate?

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
So they just updated the TCM ECU ( 2 recall) on my 2019 subaru ascent. The car feels smother especially at low speed. I didn’t feel the stuttering issue anymore. However, the car feels sluggish at take off. I don’t know it this is normal. I like the way the car accelerates before the uodate?
It's just softer in the shifting, and, the throttle tip in seems smoother because of how the CVT is shifting, which makes is seem more sluggish.

I timed it, and the 0-60 and 60 foot times were within a hundredth of a second.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yep. The same. Much softer throttle response, almost sluggish feeling by comparison to how it was pre-updates. That initial zip is gone so it feels much less perky. Still the same funky faux shifting. Before the updates (IDK if CVT or ECU updates are responsible) it was almost too responsive requiring a very sensitive touch with the right foot starting from a stop of following other vehicles at moderate speed. It's kind of boring and ordinary now by comparison...and we still have the questionable harness.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Had the TCU update completed about five hours ago. It feels smoother while accelerating, and unlike others, still feels as though it has all of the pep it did before, albeit it's delivered in a smoother fashion. PCV valve is on order as our local dealership had none on hand.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had the TCU update completed about five hours ago. It feels smoother while accelerating, and unlike others, still feels as though it has all of the pep it did before, albeit it's delivered in a smoother fashion. PCV valve is on order as our local dealership had none on hand.
I like how it drives now except for the sluggish feeling during take off. I felt like I need to apply more throttle in order for the car to move like before. I didn’t feel the faux shifting of the Cvt for normal driving. I mean Rpm under 4K.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
^^^ yeah. I was like, "Is the emergency brake on or something?" The zip is still there when I punch it, but response to smaller throttle movements is muted, particularly starting off from a stop or driving slowly.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I went out a drove 20+ miles yesterday spending some time trying to assess the difference since the updates. When I first got the Ascent it took a while to get used to the very sensitive throttle. Driving yesterday I quickly adapted to the more subdued throttle response and actually think it's an significant improvement. It's easier to accelerate behind and follow other cars without surging as much as it used to.

IDK the details, but I believe the ECU updated corrects a problem with the initialization of the throttle position sensor, so there may have been differences between different Ascents caused by this. If this is the case, it's possible some Ascents had touchier throttles than others and that the update fixes these differences.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium Crystal White Pearl
118 Posts
So far I have noticed that if on a slight incline road and engine at 1400 rpm it feels like someone is lightly pressing the brake on and off. Like a pulsing brake. Try this scenario and let us know if you feel that.
I know exactly what your talking about. It can also happen on level ground under light acceleration. The CVT seems to be hunting for a proper fake gear. It feels a little jerky and weird to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know exactly what your talking about. It can also happen on level ground under light acceleration. The CVT seems to be hunting for a proper fake gear. It feels a little jerky and weird to me.
Agree. I’ve felt this as well and can reproduce it. It’s noticeable when between 3rd and 4th gear if you release throttle or ease it the CVT doesn’t know exactly where to go. Feels little uneasy but with consistent throttle and feathering it with the pedal I can keep this from happening. Keep the pedal consistent here or depress slightly and CVT feels connected, firm and predictable. I think we will adjust to this.

I have had recall and ECU performed. I believe overall CVT feels better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went out a drove 20+ miles yesterday spending some time trying to assess the difference since the updates. When I first got the Ascent it took a while to get used to the very sensitive throttle. Driving yesterday I quickly adapted to the more subdued throttle response and actually think it's an significant improvement. It's easier to accelerate behind and follow other cars without surging as much as it used to.

IDK the details, but I believe the ECU updated corrects a problem with the initialization of the throttle position sensor, so there may have been differences between different Ascents caused by this. If this is the case, it's possible some Ascents had touchier throttles than others and that the update fixes these
Agree. I’ve felt this as well and can reproduce it. It’s noticeable when between 3rd and 4th gear if you release throttle or ease it the CVT doesn’t know exactly where to go. Feels little uneasy but with consistent throttle and feathering it with the pedal I can keep this from happening. Keep the pedal consistent here or depress slightly and CVT feels connected, firm and predictable. I think we will adjust to this.

I have had recall and ECU performed. I believe overall CVT feels better.
i think you can only feel the cvt acts like you mentioned when you Baby the throttle I mean with throttle like 4-5%. I like better how the car drives now. The power is there at above 35% throttle. Hopefully, this transmission will last at least 100k. My other car is 187,000 with no issues.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would like to reiterate how great this has been on mine! And of course I wonder why they couldn’t have pulled it off when they initially released the car but at least they addressed it before Toyota did on my Tacoma (took them 3 years to acknowledge how bad the TCM programming was).

where this makes the biggest difference for me: I climb a 100 yard incline leaving my house in the morning. Engine gets to about 2600 RPM and at half way “unlocks” and surges way past 4000 even way past the crest of the hill... felt like driving a stick in 1st Exceeding the ideal shift point. Letting off / applying the gas had no effect... it revved and revved like crazy until it returned to normal RPMs. very unsettling, especially during warmup when I usually try to be gentler on the engine. And you know how they recommend keeping RPMs below 4000 the first 1000 miles? Hah! No way around it except using the paddle shifters.

anyone, even none “car people” would have wondered what the hell was going on and why it seemed “stuck” in first gear.

This is no longer! yay! I just wonder what sort of wear and tear, if any, occurred over the past 4000 miles with that programming and other episodes of erratic shifting (one time the RPMs bounced wildly like an EKG)

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have a feeling some of these are things I’ve never really experienced (to that extreme) in my later ‘19 build MY20.
It is out of scope of the TCM reflash, but did receive the ECU reflash recall.
Good to see the in-scope cars getting some love, finally.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium Crystal White Pearl
118 Posts
i think you can only feel the cvt acts like you mentioned when you Baby the throttle I mean with throttle like 4-5%. I like better how the car drives now. The power is there at above 35% throttle. Hopefully, this transmission will last at least 100k. My other car is 187,000 with no issues.
At the price these CVTs are going for it better last at least 200K! At $8K to $9K for replacement I want more than 100K miles, matter of fact it better never fail again for as long as I own it. I can understand if you're beating the crap out of it driving up mountain roads towing 4,000+ pounds that the CVT will degrade faster. If not this thing better go way longer than that.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
At the price these CVTs are going for it better last at least 200K! At $8K to $9K for replacement I want more than 100K miles, matter of fact it better never fail again for as long as I own it. I can understand if you're beating the crap out of it driving up mountain roads towing 4,000+ pounds that the CVT will degrade faster. If not this thing better go way longer than that.
I plan on easily passing 200,000 miles, and I do worse than that. I pass 50,000 in a couple weeks. 100,000 by the end of 2020. Mine deals with crazy levels of abuse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would like to reiterate how great this has been on mine! And of course I wonder why they couldn’t have pulled it off when they initially released the car but at least they addressed it before Toyota did on my Tacoma (took them 3 years to acknowledge how bad the TCM programming was).

where this makes the biggest difference for me: I climb a 100 yard incline leaving my house in the morning. Engine gets to about 2600 RPM and at half way “unlocks” and surges way past 4000 even way past the crest of the hill... felt like driving a stick in 1st Exceeding the ideal shift point. Letting off / applying the gas had no effect... it revved and revved like crazy until it returned to normal RPMs. very unsettling, especially during warmup when I usually try to be gentler on the engine. And you know how they recommend keeping RPMs below 4000 the first 1000 miles? Hah! No way around it except using the paddle shifters.

anyone, even none “car people” would have wondered what the hell was going on and why it seemed “stuck” in first gear.

This is no longer! yay! I just wonder what sort of wear and tear, if any, occurred over the past 4000 miles with that programming and other episodes of erratic shifting (one time the RPMs bounced wildly like an EKG)
I am SO VERY HAPPY to hear you say that the update corrected your experience. I have the same issue of a 1/4 mile long steep incline to leave my neighborhood and it truly does kick in and sound as if I am driving up the hill in 1st gear. Nothing can be done once I am on the hill and the RPMs have passed 4000 - I have tried the paddle shifters (it momentarily drops down but only pops the RPMs back up higher), taking my foot off or pressing harder on the accelerator - both only make the engine work harder, nothing works until I finally get to the top of the hill and approach the stop sign there. I am almost to 9000 miles and have also wondered what sort of wear and tear this may have caused. When I heard of this recall, I wondered if it would help on this particular hill. Looking forward to the change once the update is applied!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts