Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I got a dent in front of my bonnet and our local paintless dent shop didn't do very good job I think. Paint is a bit cracked and ther's still minor dings.

Is there better way to improve it? How should I ask the shop? I paid $200. Top is before and below is after.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Not real easy to see the problem in these photos, but you will have to visit a body shop that does paint work to make it look like new.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,311 Posts
Paintless dent repair isn't always the best solution, particularly when the dent is "sharp" and the paint if physically damaged. They do best with the dents that allow the existing paint to flex. If there's cracking, I agree with Sparkland that a paint shop solution will be necessary to restore completely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not real easy to see the problem in these photos, but you will have to visit a body shop that does paint work to make it look like new.
Dear Spakrland

Thank you for your reply. I actually went to a body shop in town (twin cities) and got a quote from $430 ~ $760. All says 3 days job without taking off the hood.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paintless dent repair isn't always the best solution, particularly when the dent is "sharp" and the paint if physically damaged. They do best with the dents that allow the existing paint to flex. If there's cracking, I agree with Sparkland that a paint shop solution will be necessary to restore completely.
Jim, thank you for your reply. Yes, true. PDR is not the best option all the time but, I was not informed of possible paint crack during PDR, but the PDR owner made mistake. He graciously returned the PDR fee (He took $200 for the job with 3-4 hours of work.)

I also went to Bloomington Suburu and the service advisor told Subaru paint is thin and he recommended me with repaint option.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,311 Posts
Aluminum hoods have become quite common because of weight savings. The 2012 Grand Cherokee I drove before my Ascent had one, too. There's nothing wrong with that, but it does come into consideration for body work sometimes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aluminum hoods have become quite common because of weight savings. The 2012 Grand Cherokee I drove before my Ascent had one, too. There's nothing wrong with that, but it does come into consideration for body work sometimes.
I see Jim. Thank you for your comment!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts