Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm likely switching from a Lexus CT-200 to this car, so I'm definitely going to feel the fuel economy blow up. My CT-200 (glorified Prius) gets about 42mpg mixed highway/city.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm likely switching from a Lexus CT-200 to this car, so I'm definitely going to feel the fuel economy blow up. My CT-200 (glorified Prius) gets about 42mpg mixed highway/city.
Remember this was figures that were from 140 miles of driving in Oregon while reviewing, photographing, video shooting inside and outside, slow driving, fast driving, idling, off road perhaps, etc....combine mileage figures given by Subaru I believe 23...so I don’t find this any different than what could b e expected.

·
Registered
245 Posts
They gave it a 4/10 for fuel economy? I mean, I don't expect it to rival a Prius for fuel economy.
I'm only getting about 17/22 City/Hwy (on a really good day) on my Pilot so this will definitely be an improvement should we decide to pull the trigger on the Ascent.

That being said...I was expecting better fuel economy for a 4-cyl engine; but as long as it's capable enough to do the same as the V6, then I'm OK with it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
They gave it a 4/10 for fuel economy? I mean, I don't expect it to rival a Prius for fuel economy.

This is more baffling as the Traverse and Durango both of which do not get as good fuel economy got a 6/10. How is that possible that a FWD vehicle that doesn't get as good MPG gets a higher rating??

Never been a big fan of these guys...

I think I agree as they seem to have an agenda and rate on different scales

Wow yes that would be rough. I'm going from an Xterra 12-14MPG city and 18-20MPG highway. So this will save me a lot per year!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Not sure why it received such a poor fuel economy score. i thought the Ascents fuel economy numbers are pretty efficient!
It's an ideologue perspective. They don't speciate the different types of drivetrain types, it's requires more knowledge in automotive that way.

·
Registered
492 Posts
This is more baffling as the Traverse and Durango both of which do not get as good fuel economy got a 6/10. How is that possible that a FWD vehicle that doesn't get as good MPG gets a higher rating??

I think I agree as they seem to have an agenda and rate on different scales

Wow yes that would be rough. I'm going from an Xterra 12-14MPG city and 18-20MPG highway. So this will save me a lot per year!
I followed the link they give that tries to explain how they do the ratings and it actually does sound like they rated the Ascent against hybrid and electric vehicles for fuel economy.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/how-we-rate
"Green: Cars are assigned a rating based on their EPA-estimated highway and combined mileage ratings. Plug-in and battery-electric vehicles start at 8. Electric-only cars with a range of more than 250 miles; plug-in electric cars with an EV range of more than 50 miles; or cars with a combined equivalent MPGe rating of more than 100 mpg earn a perfect score."

Which, to me, makes no sense whatsoever. I don't know why anyone trying to give an accurate review would rate two completely opposite vehicles against each other... If they do that to show a rating for fuel economy, I wonder what other crazy way they rate the other categories.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I followed the link they give that tries to explain how they do the ratings and it actually does sound like they rated the Ascent against hybrid and electric vehicles for fuel economy.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/how-we-rate
"Green: Cars are assigned a rating based on their EPA-estimated highway and combined mileage ratings. Plug-in and battery-electric vehicles start at 8. Electric-only cars with a range of more than 250 miles; plug-in electric cars with an EV range of more than 50 miles; or cars with a combined equivalent MPGe rating of more than 100 mpg earn a perfect score."

Which, to me, makes no sense whatsoever. I don't know why anyone trying to give an accurate review would rate two completely opposite vehicles against each other... If they do that to show a rating for fuel economy, I wonder what other crazy way they rate the other categories.
It is fine if they do that but they need to stay consistent. The Traverse and Durango should be rated against the same thing hybrid vehicles then. The Traverse was new in 2018 so it isn't like it is an old rating pulled forward.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
“I followed the link they give that tries to explain how they do the ratings and it actually does sound like they rated the Ascent against hybrid and electric vehicles for fuel economy.”

At the front of the review they list in the Pro’s and Con’s of the Ascent....On con....no hybrid powertrain.yet.....surely they are evaluating it as though that’s a negative for fuel economy....duh? who said they were suppose to be making a hybrid...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts