Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
I usually warm my car up for five minutes via the MySubaru remote start every morning.

About ten minutes after that I go out, start the car and put it into reverse down my drive way. The E-brake is off at this point.
The issue is when I put it into drive I hear a chirp. I think it is from the tires. I don't hit the gas or anything. It happens as soon as I take my foot off the break.
I have tried tapping the break to lock the tires and then release them but still the chirp.
Anyone else experience this? It seems to only happen after the car has been sitting.

I couldn't find a mention of this issue. If it is posted please redirect me.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
HI,
I usually warm my car up for five minutes via the MySubaru remote start every morning.

About ten minutes after that I go out, start the car and put it into reverse down my drive way. The E-brake is off at this point.
The issue is when I put it into drive I hear a chirp. I think it is from the tires. I don't hit the gas or anything. It happens as soon as I take my foot off the break.
I have tried tapping the break to lock the tires and then release them but still the chirp.
Anyone else experience this? It seems to only happen after the car has been sitting.

Thanks,
Ben
I get it too. It's definitely not the tires as they would not be chirping under these conditions. I read in another thread here that it is from the CVT but I cannot recall if any explanation was given.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
The chirping sound is totally normal. The pulleys that drive or are driven by the CVT chain are hydraulically filled. This is totally normal on both high torque CVTs (the one mated to the Outback 3.6R's H6 and to the WRX's equipped with a CVT, as well as to the one mated to the 2.4DIT in the Ascents.

From Subaru:
"...the CVT (filling) up both primary and secondary pulleys (causes) this chirping noise and at times a surging until pressure equalizes. Noise is considered normal."
Because of the way the system works, and how long it takes for pressure to drop when the car is off, and the temperature and a variety of other factors, the car may or may not chirp when shifted from Park to Drive. That too is perfectly normal since it's those very conditions that determine if it chirps or not.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My 2010 Outback does this some also. Hasn’t been a problem for 109,000 miles. I also had a belt tensioner around 90,000 that would chirp when throttle changes happened. I simply had it replaced during my 100,000 timing belt service. Which the Ascent doesn’t have a tb service given its chain driven.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phew! Thanks for the replies. Glad it isn't anything to be concerned about.
Reminds me of when I had my Acura TL. It used to make a mechanical hum sound when putting it in gear after it had been powered off. The sounds was brief and only once a few seconds after the car had been put into gear. It turned out to be part of the anti lock brake system initialization. Similar in that it is by design and not a problem.

Thanks!
Ben

·
Registered
978 Posts
HI,

Thanks,
Ben
As a side note idling modern cars in the morning is asking for trouble. Its the worst thing to do for emissions systems. And horrendous on average gas mileage. Just get in it and go! Use the heated seats, and the defoster.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm curious...

I wonder if you take a break between R and D, and hold in N for a few seconds? Enough for the RPM's to kick up into Neutral, and then drop it into D? See if that chirps!

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
And the automatic electric heater.

As a side note idling modern cars in the morning is asking for trouble. Its the worst thing to do for emissions systems. And horrendous on average gas mileage. Just get in it and go! Use the heated seats, and the defoster.
And use the built in electric heater that heats the cabin while the car hasn't yet warmed up. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
On my Outback, the chirp is non-existent or lessened, if I let the car run for a few seconds BEFORE I shift into reverse or drive. That way the CVT is not shifting when the engine has high RPM's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh! Good to know about the idling. I figured letting it warm up and the idle calming down was a good thing. Good point about it killing my average miles per gallon.
I still may use it in the dead of this coming New England winter. I like to be toasty :)
Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
@Robert,

Do you think this electric heater and excessive condensation on the inside of the windows during cold weather have any correlation?
I don't know. I haven't seen that yet, even in high 40's and low to mid 50's when I traveled up Mount Marcy to the trail head.

I do know that I've had condensation problems with my Outback when, for one reason or another, it got humid in it and of course the windows were sealed when I wasn't (and usually when I was) driving, so, I wonder if it's specific to something individual.

I have seen a lot of condensation on the outside, but besides pouring here, it's also been so humid that we've been driving through fog banks and low clouds the last couple of days. I am wondering if I will see condensation inside tomorrow. I'll let you know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts