Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru is asking for me to complete a survey for the car buying experience. I am curious how much these impact the sales/finance team. I had multiple people mention the survey to me when i bought the car and they told me to not say that on the survey. Couple questions, does the survey greatly help or hurt the team at the dealership? Had a good experience with the sales person but the finance person kept me waiting and then told me i had to get the warranty within a week of buying the car, hoping to force the sale. I want to be honest on the survey and posrep the sales person but also dont want anyone to get punished for either telling me about the survey or the finance guy not being my cup of tea. Any experience on this?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I did not complete the survey since I went through a broker, but I would have if I had gone through a dealer. Subaru has an interest in a positiive experience and they have a certain set of expectations from dealers. The only way for positive change to happen is for the upper echelons to understand what is going on in the field. Remember the industry is evolving to more online and even possibly direct sales. Little profit is made on the vehicle itself and much more on the add-ons and financing. My suggestion is to complete the form.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Carl has been a huge help on most of the Subie boards. His parting message is a data point. When we bought our 2010, I filled out the survey - mostly praise, but I dinged the finance experience. Two weeks later the finance person was gone. I live in a relatively small town (17,000) but we do have a Subaru dealer and like most small towns, word gets around. The next dealer is three hours away, so when we bought our 2021 Outback I disregarded the survey.

[IMG alt="Carl Abrams"]https://www.subaruoutback.org/d1/avatars/m/208/208001.jpg?1563031927[/IMG]
Carl Abrams
· Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
Joined Jan 23, 2015
·
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 5 mo ago

This is going to be my farewell post to this forum.

I'm not leaving the Subaru brand, by any means. I'll still continue to drive my Impreza, and when my wife's Forester lease comes up next fall, I'll be replacing it with another Subaru Forester.

I am, however, leaving the Subaru sales side of things, after 8 years. And similar to @KEVIN, not voluntarily, albeit not for the same reason.

Under the rules, Subaru salesmen are not allowed to mention the survey at all. They can ask for five star reviews, they can tell the customer that if there was anything at all about the purchase process, to please call them about making it right. But you can't say that if you get bad surveys, for things are completely out of your control as the salesmen (like you felt finance was pushy, or you didn't like the way the dealership was responding to Covid), that when you mark NOT the salesman specifically, but the overall experience as poor ... that can cost the salesman his job. Even after 8 years.

Please note that this is NOT just Subaru that does this. It's the auto industry in general. You're correct, it's not right. However, it is what it is, and there's not a darned thing anyone can do about it. The automakers tie money to the dealerships on CSI scores. So, keep that in mind next time you buy a new car, of any brand.. If your salesman did a good job, mark your OVERALL experience as perfect. Otherwise, you could cost him his job.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
I filled out the survey and was honest and specific. The sections that are specific to the salesman were all 10s and the written commentary specific to the salesman were likewise positive. Totally legitimate. He was very product knowledgeable, straightforward in the negotiation and generous with his time as needed to guide us through the process and ultimately the delivery.

The finance guy and the facility left a lot to be desired and the ratings were made accordingly. Not sure if the finance guy is still there but the dealership broke ground over the summer on a new sales and service facility. Maybe the dealer was already on notice by SOA that they needed to improve the facility but maybe the surveys gave them the push needed to do something about it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Subaru is asking for me to complete a survey for the car buying experience. I am curious how much these impact the sales/finance team. I had multiple people mention the survey to me when i bought the car and they told me to not say that on the survey. Couple questions, does the survey greatly help or hurt the team at the dealership? Had a good experience with the sales person but the finance person kept me waiting and then told me i had to get the warranty within a week of buying the car, hoping to force the sale. I want to be honest on the survey and posrep the sales person but also dont want anyone to get punished for either telling me about the survey or the finance guy not being my cup of tea. Any experience on this?
I don't think the sales and finance teams are a monolith group. They have different duties/responsibilities. The sales team are guaranteed to make all the sales, obviously, while the finance team is never guaranteed to bring in any money.

That's the frequent tactic, to put pressure on the warranty deal. I think the best way to face it is to engage in the conversation and ask a bunch of question, then decline for the warranty. i.e. play along so the finance guy think you're into his/her game. For me the guy said, "I almost got you; so close", but he didn't realized..... LoL

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's the frequent tactic, to put pressure on the warranty deal. I think the best way to face it is to engage in the conversation and ask a bunch of question, then decline for the warranty. i.e. play along so the finance guy think you're into his/her game. For me the guy said, "I almost got you; so close", but he didn't realized..... LoL
I suspect the commission rates are much higher on the stuff the "Finance Guy" tries to sell you. When we were in the process of deciding whether to buy our 2019 Touring, I made it explicitly clear to the sales manager that we didn't want the "Finance Guy" to do anything other than take our check and complete the paperwork.

But, no. The "Finance Guy" insisted on going through a litany of "extras" he wanted to sell us. Finally, I told him, "Take our check now and complete the transaction, or we walk." He paused a moment and said nothing. I then said, "I think we'll go talk to the general manager about you." That ended the conversation.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
I think the best way to face it is to engage in the conversation and ask a bunch of question, then decline for the warranty. i.e. play along so the finance guy think you're into his/her game. For me the guy said, "I almost got you; so close", but he didn't realized..... LoL
The "Finance Guy" insisted on going through a litany of "extras" he wanted to sell us. Finally, I told him, "Take our check now and complete the transaction, or we walk." He paused a moment and said nothing. I then said, "I think we'll go talk to the general manager about you." That ended the conversation.
Actually, I tell the finance guy, I'll respect your time by telling you up front that I'm not buying anything I haven't already agreed to with the salesman and the sales manager right here on my deal terms. Haven't had one yet that tried anything further, just gave me the stack of papers to sign.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts