Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery voltage in my 2019 (bought 4/2019) Subaru Ascent seems too often low. I have checked it several times recently and it seems to be at 11.2-11.5V after a couple of days sitting. Today after a 2x20-minute ride in an 11.9V. We drive at least half an hour or more every 2-3 days. Drawing in standby car mode <0.1 Ampere. It all started when I was working on a trailer hitch and the doors and tailgate were open for about 3 hours. When I went to start the car, it wouldn't start. There wasn't enough juice to push the starting relay. It seemed odd to me that it happened in such a short time. (By the way, although at first I panicked thinking I'd spoiled the work, the wiring to the trailer connector was fine. I even unplugged it for a couple of weeks to rule it out)). I recharged the battery, but I had a feeling it was weak, especially since it was so new. It just didn't seem right. So I asked the dealers to test the battery, and they said, "The battery is tested fine. Who knows what test they actually did. You don't talk to tech anymore, only to a nice woman at the table. When the generator's charging normally, the voltage goes about 14.2 V or so. I think the charging is normal, and I think there's no noticeable discharge in the car.

What criteria can I use with my dealer to convince them that the battery may not be "as new" as it should be?

·
Registered
690 Posts
1 OEM battery can test fine but still weak
2 tailgate on 2019 kills battery
3 If you did not change all bulbs to LED with doors and tailgate open you have 11 bulbs @5-8watt each >>55-88 watt load + 13watt BCM , 8 amp constant load , so yes in 3+ hours your OEM battery can be below starting power

step 1 change bulbs (interior) to LED you get 7-12 hours
step 2 get better battery you self (and test yours not at the dealer its free like at NBT etc...)
step 3 call SOA and ask to refund you ...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You can go to almost any auto parts store and have then check the CCAs of your battery to see if it is weak. I have a battery tester and check mine every time I change the oil. There have been a lot of bad batteries but mine has been good so far.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 2020 Touring started having issues with electronics and slow starting within 4,000 miles after purchase. Took it in to dealer who told me I had a bad cell. I asked for the replacement to be an AGM or at least a heavier-duty type, but...they replaced it with stock. Has worked fine since, but, am still concerned that it's underpowered for the car.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
My 2020 Touring started having issues with electronics and slow starting within 4,000 miles after purchase. Took it in to dealer who told me I had a bad cell. I asked for the replacement to be an AGM or at least a heavier-duty type, but...they replaced it with stock. Has worked fine since, but, am still concerned that it's underpowered for the car.
you could have insisted and or contacted SOA and you would haved been able to get reimbursed for a more robust battery. Plenty of postings on this topic through the site search engine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
you could have insisted and or contacted SOA and you would haved been able to get reimbursed for a more robust battery. Plenty of postings on this topic through the site search engine.
NOW I know that, but, at the time I wasn't totally aware of all this. But, if something similar happens again, can be sure I'll demand a far better battery...<G>

·
Registered
852 Posts
All good recommendations on how best to save the OEM battery .What I started doing was I manually turn on & off the headlights instead of using the AUTO setting.The aftermarket LED’s I use have a fan so if I use AUTO setting the fans will stay running for a few seconds after the motor is shut down.Now if I manually turn OFF the headlights the fans go quiet.Whether this procedure is helping the battery (or hurting the LED’s) I honestly can’t say because I haven’t done any testing.All speculation on my part so take it for what it’s worth.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
LEDs draw significantly less current than the halogen lamps, including the LED's fans. IMO, their running for a few minutes would be inconsequential.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts