Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Premium, with second row bench seating. One of the reasons I got an Ascent was that I would be able to put the rear two rows down, and sleep in the back. When I'm on weekend road trips, I'm rarely stopped for more than a few hours, so paying for a hotel is a waste. I went on my first mini trip, from MA to southern NJ last weekend. The back was fine, save for not being totally flat. Does anyone, who has used them before, have any SUV mattress suggestions. Only real requirement is durability, as my large dogs will come on some of the trips. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I have a Premium, with second row bench seating. One of the reasons I got an Ascent was that I would be able to put the rear two rows down, and sleep in the back. When I'm on weekend road trips, I'm rarely stopped for more than a few hours, so paying for a hotel is a waste. I went on my first mini trip, from MA to southern NJ last weekend. The back was fine, save for not being totally flat. Does anyone, who has used them before, have any SUV mattress suggestions. Only real requirement is durability, as my large dogs will come on some of the trips. Thank you.

@Janner is probably the best person for this question.

I've seen people use carpeted covered plywood boxes in the Outback in order to get a flat surface. I had suggested a Paco pad in another thread. (really thick padding sleeping mat basically) They aren't cheap though.

Lots of the #VanLifers seem to use memory foam mattresses cut to size. But it's going to be hard to fold that up generally.

Reactions: Trey T

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't do air mattresses, I do foam mattresses (not memory foam) that I customize to size. If it's only one person, I found some foam mattresses at Costco with a cover and strap and case. Rolls up pretty easily. Also can use this on a large cot while camping. Probably not available this time of year, only at the start of summer. If it is two people, I used 2 of these mattresses. I do plan to customized foam mattresses to fit the area better in the future. (I received my car 2 days before my first camping trip so had to find a simple solution). I also have stiff (green craft) foam inserted between the gap between rows 2 and 3. One other thing I've seen at Costco and online is the foam bed that folds into thirds. Stores smaller but opens to a 3" flat mattress. With dogs, I'd probably just use a simple foam mattress I could roll/fold up and then I wouldn't be worrying about dog claws ruining something. I lost my dog before I got my Ascent and will deal with this issue in the future if I get another friend.

I have also done the platform option in my Outback if you really want it flat. I used plumbing pipe for the legs and had the front two legs shorter than the rest to account for the elevation. I don't see myself doing that for the Ascent - I don't mind having my head elevated a little and prefer that over the loss of headroom you get with a platform. Only if I REALLY needed the storage would I go that route.

I know Coleman makes a single bed air mattress for a car, I have used that in the past. I just don't find air mattresses all that comfortable. I've put about 5 nights in my Ascent in the last two months. Still looking to get the best setup so if you find any good options, please post!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't do air mattresses, I do foam mattresses (not memory foam) that I customize to size. If it's only one person, I found some foam mattresses at Costco with a cover and strap and case. Rolls up pretty easily. Also can use this on a large cot while camping. Probably not available this time of year, only at the start of summer. If it is two people, I used 2 of these mattresses. I do plan to customized foam mattresses to fit the area better in the future. (I received my car 2 days before my first camping trip so had to find a simple solution). I also have stiff (green craft) foam inserted between the gap between rows 2 and 3. One other thing I've seen at Costco and online is the foam bed that folds into thirds. Stores smaller but opens to a 3" flat mattress. With dogs, I'd probably just use a simple foam mattress I could roll/fold up and then I wouldn't be worrying about dog claws ruining something. I lost my dog before I got my Ascent and will deal with this issue in the future if I get another friend.

I have also done the platform option in my Outback if you really want it flat. I used plumbing pipe for the legs and had the front two legs shorter than the rest to account for the elevation. I don't see myself doing that for the Ascent - I don't mind having my head elevated a little and prefer that over the loss of headroom you get with a platform. Only if I REALLY needed the storage would I go that route.

I know Coleman makes a single bed air mattress for a car, I have used that in the past. I just don't find air mattresses all that comfortable. I've put about 5 nights in my Ascent in the last two months. Still looking to get the best setup so if you find any good options, please post!
Thank you very much. Yes, I don't see myself doing a platform setup. If I need the storage, I'll get some sort of skybox. I'll definitely post if I can find a good work around. I'll have all winter to tinker. Probably just one more trip this year.

·
Registered
70 Posts
How about puzzle exercise mats? They are cheap and sturdy enough for dogs to walk on.
https://www.amazon.com/ProSource-Pilates-71-inch-Exercise-Carrying/dp/B01N16GHJD/

I'm going to try them to see if they will even out the variations in surface when Behemot gets here. They are 24" wide, so the pack of six should fit well as a 2x3 set-up, and if they work well enough for a base layer, I will be willing to use more to get an exact fit. (Personally, I'll be rolling out a 2" memory foam on top of it because hips....)

·
Registered
334 Posts
How about puzzle exercise mats? They are cheap and sturdy enough for dogs to walk on.
https://www.amazon.com/ProSource-Pilates-71-inch-Exercise-Carrying/dp/B01N16GHJD/

I'm going to try them to see if they will even out the variations in surface when Behemot gets here. They are 24" wide, so the pack of six should fit well as a 2x3 set-up, and if they work well enough for a base layer, I will be willing to use more to get an exact fit. (Personally, I'll be rolling out a 2" memory foam on top of it because hips....)

I've actually used them. I have a set of 4 that I cut to size to fit the back storage and 3rd row. I did this before I bought the cargo tray - to protect the area before I figured out what I want. They are perfect for dogs but I need more than that to sleep on! :tango_face_surprise:smile_big: I'll probably put them back in for just running around town. I think I got mine at Costco or Home Depot - they are plain gray which I prefer to the kids version.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Are you solo? Check out “backpacking” cots.

They sit about 3 inches off the ground. Don’t need to be blown up and pack small. Plus it leaves the rest of the floor open for a low slung beach chair.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. Lots to look at. When I'm sleeping in the back it's just me, so I can make it suit just me and the dogs. I was hoping to get one more trip in this weekend, but the weather's not going to be great. Oh well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We use Modway for car-camping (just last week in fact).

The rolling into each other thing isn’t too much of a problem if you keep it well inflated (or get a fancy dual chamber one).

The bigger issue is that the air in the bed is cold and stays cold. We usually insulate the bed from the ground with a couple of old school roll mats, then add a fleecy blanket under the bed sheet.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I was wondering if you had any updates on your Ascent I was thinking going the pvc pipe route

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was wondering if you had any updates on your Ascent I was thinking going the pvc pipe route
Sorry, haven't been here in a while. I've modified my setup a bit - different mattress and the like. I never did a platform for the Ascent. I just didn't want the loss of headroom so decided I just have to pack more efficiently. Guess it depends on the diameter of the pvc pipe because it will bend given enough weight. Certainly more customizable than metal pipe, though. I think it is a realistic option if you go large diameter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts