Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for you guys. Have any of y'all ever locked your Ascent and then come back later and it was unlocked? I feel like this has happened to me a few times recently, either that or I'm getting scarily forgetful about locking the doors. A couple of times, though, I was absolutely sure I'd locked it, only to come out later and find it unlocked. What's the range of the key fobs? Is it possible that I'm accidentally pushing the unlock button when I'm inside? In which case, it would be nice if the fob itself beeped or something. Frustrating, and getting worried something will happen to our car.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Haven't unlocked accidentally but I have found the hatch open a couple times. Put a sleeve over my key fobs and have not seen the hatch accidentally open again. I suspect the other stuff in my pockets must have pushed the hatch button without me knowing it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We pulled into a shopping center and when I got out & hit the lock button an older Subaru that was two spots away flashed its lights. I looked around & there was no one nearby & nobody in the subi. Makes me wonder how unique our fobs are.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Touring
6 Posts
Quick question for you guys. Have any of y'all ever locked your Ascent and then come back later and it was unlocked? I feel like this has happened to me a few times recently, either that or I'm getting scarily forgetful about locking the doors. A couple of times, though, I was absolutely sure I'd locked it, only to come out later and find it unlocked. What's the range of the key fobs? Is it possible that I'm accidentally pushing the unlock button when I'm inside? In which case, it would be nice if the fob itself beeped or something. Frustrating, and getting worried something will happen to our car.
It's happened to me often enough that I take the keys out of my pocket when I come in the house. I'm toying with getting one of the fob covers that others have talked about, to see if it fixes the problem. I wish that the mySubaru app had a button on its homepage that showed the status of the door locks.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like there would be a way to make the fob itself beep anytime you pressed it.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
It's probably tough with the physical design and watertight seal, but it would be nice.

·
Registered
682 Posts
First check that it's not other stuff in your pocket (or whatever else you're carrying the fob in) that's causing the problem. :)

Next check how the fob may interact with the cut of the clothing you've put it in - maybe there's a tighter stretch across your pants that's forming a harder crease that forms as you walk/kneel/squat? or maybe there's an overlaying button or zipper pull that presses in as you make a certain movement? No joke - there's one pair of sweatpants that I own where I can get the fob to do *something," just by low-squatting.

I usually wear jeans (Duluth Ballroom Flex), and hang my fob down the inside of the outseam corner of my front pocket, using a special hook/clip (BigiDesign TCP). I can press the buttons on my jeans through the pocket on-purpose, but I can't activate it otherwise, no matter how I contort, and regardless of what other stuff I carry in that pocket (typically $2 in quarters, plus a dime), above it in the coin pocket (a small Leatherman multitool), on that particular hook/clip (there's also a small flashlight, a couple of actual keys, a multitool Phillips/flat bit as well as a iPhone USB charge adapter). My fob is "naked," no aftermarket covers, etc.

Something like this is actually much more individual-related than many may realize it to be, and it can take quite a bit of playing around to really figure out what's going on, and how to best avoid it. Thorough troubleshooting can cost quite a bit of time and effort, particularly if you have an extensive wardrobe.

Until you figure out exactly what your fix is, if you're not averse to the extra steps, trigger the door-lock from the MySubaru App once you're out of range of the fob. That'll insure its locked, as it will give you confirmation of completion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That unlock button is pretty easy to activate. I don’t put the key fob in my pocket any longer and have not had a problem since doing so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.