Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm going to be ordering a 2020 Ascent very soon :grin:

I've been reading older posts about Touring vs Limited/Bench vs Captain's chairs with dogs and was hoping for some longer-term insight now.

Our current car is a 3-row SUV with a bench seat. We have 2 greyhounds that ride in the cargo area (third seat down). When we travel with them, we put actual cargo on the bench seat and floor, +/- rooftop carrier.

I had been planning on a Limited so we can get another bench seat, but I do like some of the other features a Touring would come with.

The options I've considered include one of those sling-type seat covers on the 2nd row, filling the space on the floor between the chairs if needed, and putting both dogs there for longer trips. Or a full cargo cover in the back, that spans the empty space between the chairs to keep the dogs confined to the back.

So.... for those of you with dogs that have captain's chairs, how are things working out?

thanks!
CB

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
814 Posts
Hello!

I'm going to be ordering a 2020 Ascent very soon :grin:

I've been reading older posts about Touring vs Limited/Bench vs Captain's chairs with dogs and was hoping for some longer-term insight now.

Our current car is a 3-row SUV with a bench seat. We have 2 greyhounds that ride in the cargo area (third seat down). When we travel with them, we put actual cargo on the bench seat and floor, +/- rooftop carrier.

I had been planning on a Limited so we can get another bench seat, but I do like some of the other features a Touring would come with.

The options I've considered include one of those sling-type seat covers on the 2nd row, filling the space on the floor between the chairs if needed, and putting both dogs there for longer trips. Or a full cargo cover in the back, that spans the empty space between the chairs to keep the dogs confined to the back.

So.... for those of you with dogs that have captain's chairs, how are things working out?

thanks!
CB
If you go with a sling type second row seat cover I can vouch for this one:

https://www.amazon.com/WINNER-OUTFITTERS-Zipper-Pockets-Covers/dp/B07GCW4RZV

It's very well made with heavy duty material, straps and snaps and some nice features.

We have a Limited with a bench seat in the second row so not exactly what you are considering but it worked great on an 8,000 mile trip last winter with 2 dogs.

Reactions: Riley

·
Registered
233 Posts
Can't you do this in the Ascent as well? Fold the 3rd row down and have them hang out back there?
Our Aussie either lays in the aisle between the captain chairs, or gets comfy on the floor in front of the captain chairs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Late to the discussion, but I also have two greyhounds. I found this post because I was searching for some way of bridging the gap between captains chairs. I currently have a two-row SUV in which I fold the second row down and my dogs have the entire rear of the SUV. The new SUV I am getting has captains chairs. I plan on folding both rows down for them, but am trying to figure out what to do about the gap that will remain between the seats. It will be like a pit for my awkward, clumsy greys!!!

Hello!

I'm going to be ordering a 2020 Ascent very soon ?

thanks!
CB

·
Registered
791 Posts
Our golden ( yes, I know), can't get comfortable with the second-row captain's chairs, or in between them. so he ends up usually hanging out in the third row. We had thought the captains chairs would be a convenient place for him to lay in between the kids, but he doesn't like it. It would have been much easier to get a car with a bench seat, at least with regards to our dog, but then we would give up too many features that the touring model has that we like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't you do this in the Ascent as well? Fold the 3rd row down and have them hang out back there?
Our Aussie either lays in the aisle between the captain chairs, or gets comfy on the floor in front of the captain chairs.
You might want to consider securing your Aussie with a safety harness instead of leaving them loose. This minimizes distractions for the driver and keeps the pup secured in a crash - and even more importantly, prevents her from becoming a projectile flying through the car in a crash, injuring or killing other passengers. I read on a safety crash site that an unsecured 60 lb. dog can exert 2,000 lbs. of torque in a 60 mph crash. Yikes!

You might want to Google the Center for Pet Safety, they are the only folks who put currently marketed pet safety harnesses to the test using one of those crash test dummy sledges (they used dummy dogs, btw). Wow, the videos are eye opening!

Unfortunately, the #1 recommended harness fits dogs 60 lbs. and under, that won't work for my 90 lb. Akita. So I went with the #2: Klein All Metal harness instead. It's made in Germany, not cheap (about $100), but it is solid! People stop me all the time to ask me about it. I pass the seatbelt through it and my pup can go nowhere. She actually doesn't like that part, but I feel better knowing she is secured. I unhook her while running errands so she can be more comfortable, then rehook her before driving home (rest assured, I only take her out on cool days, keep windows down an inch and use a shade to keep the car safe for her). I just wish the All Metal had the side straps to prevent rotation in a crash like the SleepyPod has.

One more thing: for those who plan to crate their dogs in the cargo area. I initially planned to do just that, but after researching, I learned the cargo area is a crumple zone, designed to crush in an accident to absorb and lessen impact on passengers. Only the passenger area is reinforced, so my furball rides in the back seat with my daughter. If I had more kids, I would have to crate her in the cargo area (securing the crate with tie downs), but it wouldn't be my first choice. Although... there are some insanely expensive dog crates you can buy, made of German steel, which are supposed to be able to withstand a crash. One is the Variocage (my sister who competes in agility trials with her dogs uses these, $1,000) and I saw one on Amazon called 4Pets Proline ($340) which looks pretty good, but research for yourself. I think there was one more called Gorilla cage or somesuch but don't quote me.

Hope this information is of help to you. All the best. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a late follow up, we have a GSD, and when we really need the cargo space, we put a rolled up bagged sleeping bag between the 2 captain's seats, put a seat cover over top and then put a duffle bag between the back of the 2 seats. She lays down in pretty much the same spot across the full width for what are generally 3+ or more hour trips. If we're lighter on cargo, she's happy in the 3rd row with the same car seat cover. Altough i think we will look into the harness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello!

thanks!
CB
I have a 2020 Ascent Touring with Captains chairs I use a sling and bridge from DogShell (add a .com). high quality materials and sturdy bridge. I have two large dogs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!

thanks!
CB
I just bought the ascent and love the captains chairs but not with my dog. Ugh, I didn't even think about it. I had a honda pilot and when all seats were down it was all flush. Now you have the space between the chairs he can fall and the space behind the seat b/c it isn't flush with the 3rd row being down. I pulled my yoga mat in this space tonight but he still fell. I'm glad I read your comment on the sling seats covers. I will have to find one. Any other suggestions would be awesome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The sling covers and bridges are for when the captains chairs aren't down. I really don't want my 60 lb dog on my seat and was thinking more about something to fill in the middle gap but then it would have to be taller. Hmmm....otherwise, the suggestion by someone of the Dogshell.com sling might have to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey all! can i get your opinion on this?

i like the one that GarylnMI suggested as well, i just want to see the different options

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just bought the 2021 Subaru Accent Touring with the rear captains seats. I saw someone mentioned "Dogshell.com" so I sent them an email asking a few questions about thier product. Since I added my phone number in the email, Bob Smith from Dogshell.com called me about 10 minutes later. He explained everything I wanted to know about thier product and ordered the standard SUV model with the optional captains seat bridge. It arrived a few days later. It's very well made and easy to install/remove after setting it up. It removes in seconds with a four headrest clips, folds and stows away. Highly recommended

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
We just bought the 2021 Subaru Accent Touring with the rear captains seats. I saw someone mentioned "Dogshell.com" so I sent them an email asking a few questions about thier product. Since I added my phone number in the email, Bob Smith from Dogshell.com called me about 10 minutes later. He explained everything I wanted to know about thier product and ordered the standard SUV model with the optional captains seat bridge. It arrived a few days later. It's very well made and easy to install/remove after setting it up. It removes in seconds with a four headrest clips, folds and stows away. Highly recommended
Nice! Can you take pics?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts