Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

We r looking at a Premium Ascent. I like the captain seats for accessibility but am wondering if the captan seats recline, so that the headrest goes back toward the third row...so someone in the seat could lay back and sleep.

I have two kids and if we got the 2nd row in the bench seat style, each child could have a bench to sleep on (the 2nd row and 3rd row.) I'm trying to figure out if the captains seats could somehow accommodate this - by one child sleeping in a captains seat with it fully "extended" and the other in the 3rd row.

Thank you!
Marjan

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Hi -

We r looking at a Premium Ascent. I like the captain seats for accessibility but am wondering if the captan seats recline, so that the headrest goes back toward the third row...so someone in the seat could lay back and sleep.

I have two kids and if we got the 2nd row in the bench seat style, each child could have a bench to sleep on (the 2nd row and 3rd row.) I'm trying to figure out if the captains seats could somehow accommodate this - by one child sleeping in a captains seat with it fully "extended" and the other in the 3rd row.

Thank you!
Marjan
Hi, in the seven seater, all four captain's seats can recline. The fronts recline almost all the way flat (the driver's can recline pretty flat if it's as high up as it can go), and the 2nd row can fold almost all the way forward, but only 35-40% recline.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Hi -

Thank you!
Marjan
In my Ascent Premium the second row captain seats do not recline back but will only collapse forward, almost flat but not quite, to increase rear cargo space with the third row folded down. If someone has captain chairs that do recline, please tell me how you get them to do that.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Oops, you're correct. About 35-40%. Fixing my reply.

Hi -

Thank you!
Marjan
In my Ascent Premium the second row captain seats do not recline back but will only collapse forward, almost flat but not quite, to increase rear cargo space with the third row folded down. If someone has captain chairs that do recline, please tell me how you get them to do that.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I stand corrected, the second row captain seats do recline, but not much. This is a one-person vehicle, so after 7,000 miles I sat in the captain chairs for the first time and "discovered" the lever that allows them to recline, but as I said not by much. Not anywhere close to being flat for a good night's rest. Why did I buy the Ascent if not for the passenger carrying capacity you might ask - purely for the towing capacity, and because it's a Subaru.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I stand corrected, the second row captain seats do recline, but not much. This is a one-person vehicle, so after 7,000 miles I sat in the captain chairs for the first time and "discovered" the lever that allows them to recline, but as I said not by much. Not anywhere close to being flat for a good night's rest. Why did I buy the Ascent if not for the passenger carrying capacity you might ask - purely for the towing capacity, and because it's a Subaru.
Same here. My son and I did not need 8 seats. But we replaced a truck and an Outback with one vehicle.

Ironically after buying the vehicle I now have a girlfriend who also has 2 children so being able to comfortably seat 5 is a big plus now too!

·
Registered
2021 ascent
27 Posts
Can the second row captn seats fold down? i was loading a dresser in the back and could not seem to fold them down very far juts at a angle and would slide back and forth,i used the dresser to stop them from sliding but thought i would be able to make the rear completely flat?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,853 Posts
Can the second row captn seats fold down? i was loading a dresser in the back and could not seem to fold them down very far juts at a angle and would slide back and forth,i used the dresser to stop them from sliding but thought i would be able to make the rear completely flat?
There are two levers on the side of the seat facing the door and they are labeled #1 and #2. You have to use them in order to fold the captain's chairs down. Please note that they do not fold completely flat, unlike the bench seat in the 8 passenger.

·
Registered
2021 ascent
27 Posts
There are two levers on the side of the seat facing the door and they are labeled #1 and #2. You have to use them in order to fold the captain's chairs down. Please note that they do not fold completely flat, unlike the bench seat in the 8 passenger.
Thats what i thought kinda sucks that it does not go flat,its really taking up alot of space that could be used if flat.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,853 Posts
I don't disagree as I do a lot of hauling, buy that's the compromise that comes with the more comfortable captain's chairs seat design

·
Registered
2021 ascent
27 Posts
I don't disagree as I do a lot of hauling, buy that's the compromise that comes with the more comfortable captain's chairs seat design
Agree before purchasing i got in and out of the rear with both styles and sat down the captain chairs not only felt more comfy but was easier to get in& out of,I could slide the seat forward for more clearance or back to use the center and get out maybe later they will fix it and make it flat or able to remove

·
Registered
16 Posts
It does go pretty close to flat. From the way you are describing it, it sounds to me more like you were only operating the control to allow access to the rear seat. You need to pull a second lever to lower the back of the seat further down into the "almost flat but not quite" position.

See here at about 1:20

·
Registered
2021 ascent
27 Posts
Im pretty sure i did but will make sure i do it the correct sequence if i need to do it again that video was pretty handy thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts