Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One week old Ascent. At least five times I've not been able to get out of park. I apply the brake, press the start button and attempt to shift into reverse and nothing. I have to shut the vehicle off and restart it before I can shift out of park.

Any others?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like your park safety switch may be bad. My sister just had this go bad on her Forester, the dealer told her it happens all the time. I'm sure the dealer has one and can swap it out for you.

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
58 Posts
One week old Ascent. At least five times I've not been able to get out of park. I apply the brake, press the start button and attempt to shift into reverse and nothing. I have to shut the vehicle off and restart it before I can shift out of park.

Any others?
I have had this happen too, several times over the past few days (I took delivery a little over 2 weeks ago). From what I can tell, it looks like the parking brake engages and if I tap the release in the center console it will then drive. I don’t know why it is happening but I haven’t had a chance to look through the manual yet, either.

I will have to take my Ascent into the shop in the next couple of weeks because they are replacing the turbo actuator in it, so I plan to ask them what is going on then, if it is still doing it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have had this happen too, several times over the past few days (I took delivery a little over 2 weeks ago). From what I can tell, it looks like the parking brake engages and if I tap the release in the center console it will then drive. I don’t know why it is happening but I haven’t had a chance to look through the manual yet, either.
When I had AVH enabled and parked in completely flat garage after slightly inclined driveway, Parking brake would engage by itself. Not sure why. I don’t really use AVH

·
Registered
201 Posts
When I had AVH enabled and parked in completely flat garage after slightly inclined driveway, Parking brake would engage by itself. Not sure why. I don’t really use AVH
There is an awful lot of details contained in the operating manual that may pertain to this situation...for example page 349

“When the electronic parking brake has not been used for a long period of time, the electronic parking brake may operate automatically after the ignition switch is turned to the “LOCK”/“OFF” position. This occurs due to checking the proper operation of the electronic parking brake and does not indicate a malfunction.”

Being new to Subaru and the Ascent, I am amazed at how much detail...and very important detail...is contained in the manual. Being out of country for awhile and not being able to drive the car has given me an opportunity in my spare time to actually read it carefully. I’ll probably be the only one on the forum to have the car for 2 1/2 months and only drive it 126 miles ? By the way, STARLINK does not work from Europe.

·
Registered
932 Posts

I will have to take my Ascent into the shop in the next couple of weeks because they are replacing the turbo actuator in it, so I plan to ask them what is going on then, if it is still doing it.
So you're using the manual override to allow yourself to shift out of park?

·
Registered
58 Posts
So you're using the manual override to allow yourself to shift out of park?
Yes, I push the park button on the console and then the brake will disengage and the car will reverse for me. The red light is lit on the Park button when this happens, so I know that the brake has been engaged, but I didn't do anything to engage it. It also works to turn the car off and back on again.

I would love to know if I am doing something to cause the brake to engage (hence, I need to look at the manual, but I haven't had time to do that yet). Since I am already having to take the car in for a repair I'll also talk to the dealer about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wasn't there a recall on the legacy a few years ago for a software glitch that cause the parking safety lock to remain engaged?

Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I swear the service guy said “turbo actuator” but I admit I know nothing about auto mechanics. I took it in at around 400 Miles because the check engine light came on and they first said that the error code was either a leak of some kind at the turbo, but they couldn’t find a problem so sent me home, and then later told me that they ordered a turbo actuator and would call me when it came in.

Do you mean boost controller?

I swear the service guy said “turbo actuator” but I admit I know nothing about auto mechanics. I took it in at around 400 Miles because the check engine light came on and they first said that the error code was either a leak of some kind at the turbo, but they couldn’t find a problem so sent me home, and then later told me that they ordered a turbo actuator and would call me when it came in.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

Would that be prudent to drive the vehicle with the turbo actuator malfunctioning? I guess it must be okay, the dealership sent you home without a fix.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Which Forester, Touring or below?
She has a 2.5x (base model). It is out of warranty based on her mileage, but the dealer still replaced it for free.

Reactions: Trey T

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hope so...they told me as long as the CEL wasn’t blinking I could drive it, and I specifically asked whether I could take it on a short road trip as I had planned and they said no problem. In fact the only reason I found out that they ordered that part for my car is that I happened to stop in the dealer for my Love Encore appt...when I took it in for the CEL being on they just told me to bring it back if it happened again, so they must have decided to replace the actuator later, but hadnt notified me about that decision.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Any others?

Out of curiosity, did you start with the remote start app?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
When parking the car, always apply the parking brake before taking your foot off the brake pedal, even on flat ground. I've never had a problem with moving the shifter since I've started using the above method.

For me, it was a pretty easy habit to get into since I was moving from a stick to the Ascent and always engaged my parking brake.

I reported this to SoA and my dealership in early July. It is already being checked into, though I would still suggest anyone experiencing it to report it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts