Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy folks, just a note today, that may already common knowledge; but we just picked up our ascent from its first service. while at the dlr, i had them check an
intermittent glitch that caused all the warning lights to stay on after engine start. they checked it over, re-flashed the brain and cleared the problem. then came the
warning. they said they had found rodent poops in the engine compartment, and confirmed something i wondered about. subaru, in their effort to be green/enviro
friendly, is coating all their wiring with soy based insulation. they might as well use peanut butter instead. in the high-desert area here, north of l.a., our rodent friends
run rampant. it will be a full time job to try to prevent my entire car from being eaten to the nub. the dlr said they had a customer with less than 1000 mi on their new
model; and had their airbag wiring destroyed to the tune of $1500+ for repairs. they said suby knows about this, but being green prevails over everything else. sounds
like a class-action situation in the making to me.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
This is sadly a problem for various cars from various companies.

Here's some solutions that may help prevent it from happening again. Sorry you had to go through such ordeals.

Here's an article. People tried a Class Action against Toyota, btw. It was dismissed. So was the one against Honda.

“Rodent damage to vehicle wiring occurs across the industry, and the issue is not brand or model specific,” Toyota said in a statement.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hopefully, the tips in preventing it (the rodent spray perhaps?) may help it from happening again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the response. Will give a try to some of the items recommended in the articles. One thing interesting, how the mfgs try to blame the suppliers for the problem. Subs would never design or choose anything on their own. They will surely have to have explicit info from the mfgs before they make a move. Too bad the mfgs are so slippery.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
So thoughtful of Subaru when making an adventure vehicle. If we are in a survival situation we can just eat the wiring. Just wish the seats were made of marshmallows.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
~ 8 years ago a bunch of warning lights went on in my 1 year old Lexus RX350. Took it to the dealer to find mice were building a nest and had eaten some wires under the decorative plastic cover over the engine. It got totaled in a collision a few months ago so I now have an Ascent.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm considering buying one of those personal oc sprays and blasting the engine area. the suby tech might not like it much, but maybe it will work.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
i'm considering buying one of those personal oc sprays and blasting the engine area. the suby tech might not like it much, but maybe it will work.
You might want to put a warning under your hood like they have for remote starters!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Mice will chew through anything they can, not just soy-based insulation. I live in the country and have had mice chew on/through my vinyl boat seats, my plastic fertilizer spreader, all my lawnmower starter ropes, my nylon generator cover, my wood shed doors, some hand soap, and a variety of many other materials you would never think they would chew. Mice have been chewing on wires well before the soy-based insulation came out. This is one of the reasons why armored cable and later Romex replaced early house wiring.

I've been fighting the little devils for decades. What I've found works best is peppermint oil. Rodents have very sensitive smelling and peppermint drives them crazy. So now, when I put away my boat for the season, I put drops of peppermint oil in it. I've never had a problem since I've started doing this.

If you're concerned about your car, try a few drops of it in the engine compartment or anywhere else you may think mice may be able to get to. You can get it here. Try it, it works!

·
Registered
8 Posts
howdy folks, just a note today, that may already common knowledge; but we just picked up our ascent from its first service. while at the dlr, i had them check an
intermittent glitch that caused all the warning lights to stay on after engine start. they checked it over, re-flashed the brain and cleared the problem. then came the
warning. they said they had found rodent poops in the engine compartment, and confirmed something i wondered about. subaru, in their effort to be green/enviro
friendly, is coating all their wiring with soy based insulation. they might as well use peanut butter instead. in the high-desert area here, north of l.a., our rodent friends
run rampant. it will be a full time job to try to prevent my entire car from being eaten to the nub. the dlr said they had a customer with less than 1000 mi on their new
model; and had their airbag wiring destroyed to the tune of $1500+ for repairs. they said suby knows about this, but being green prevails over everything else. sounds
like a class-action situation in the making to me.
Despite this forums administrators downplay of this significant safety problem you should file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission that your warranties, and your implied warranties of fitness for use are violated by Subaru's failure to fix this problem which if not fixed could leave you stranded in the desert somewhere out of cell phone range. In addition, you should file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (800) 424-9153 that your car as is is unsafe and could be disabled anywhere there are hungry rodents, which is anywhere you drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mice will chew through anything they can, not just soy-based insulation. I live in the country and have had mice chew on/through my vinyl boat seats, my plastic fertilizer spreader, all my lawnmower starter ropes, my nylon generator cover, my wood shed doors, some hand soap, and a variety of many other materials you would never think they would chew. Mice have been chewing on wires well before the soy-based insulation came out. This is one of the reasons why armored cable and later Romex replaced early house wiring.

I've been fighting the little devils for decades. What I've found works best is peppermint oil. Rodents have very sensitive smelling and peppermint drives them crazy. So now, when I put away my boat for the season, I put drops of peppermint oil in it. I've never had a problem since I've started doing this.

If you're concerned about your car, try a few drops of it in the engine compartment or anywhere else you may think mice may be able to get to. You can get it here. Try it, it works!
Here is another attempt by this Forums Administrator to downplay the safety issue and imply that Subaru should not have to fix the problem it created that could leave you stranded somewhere with your family out of cell phone range to call for help.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
@Arther, pro10s is not a forum administrator. Please be careful how you respond about the forum members. Stick to the subject, not the people who posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts