Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Canadian (L/KM) - Touring Model - 15+/L per 100KM

Hi,
Purchased a new 2019 - Ascent - Touring in February.

Currently at 2800km.
Over the past two months, I have had horibble gas mileage.

Full Tank - 275KM (1st tank)
- Subsequent Tanks have been around 350-400 km ONLY.

Mind you the winters have been in the -30, -40 range with 10-15 cm average this past winter.

Driving within city 50-75 km per day hardly any highway.

Do I have a defective product or does the mileage get any better?

I don't think I ever had any issues before on my other vehicles and this is my first Subaru.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am hoping some of the Canadian drivers will chime in on this as I am finding it really hard to accept these numbers. I know the US models are different and have features that are not the same as the Canadian models but is there something I am missing in terms of turning "ECO" mode on which I haven't really found or could there be a certain time before I see acceptable numbers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am hoping some of the Canadian drivers will chime in on this as I am finding it really hard to accept these numbers. I know the US models are different and have features that are not the same as the Canadian models but is there something I am missing in terms of turning "ECO" mode on which I haven't really found or could there be a certain time before I see acceptable numbers.
I found the ascent much more fun to drive than my minivan so I waste more gas for sure. long highway drives on cruise get decent mileage

one thing to note is that if you use the adaptive cruise a lot it comes default with the most aggressive acceleration profile (to show off). you can use the steering wheel controls to go through the menu to make it more eco

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I found the ascent much more fun to drive than my minivan so I waste more gas for sure. long highway drives on cruise get decent mileage

one thing to note is that if you use the adaptive cruise a lot it comes default with the most aggressive acceleration profile (to show off). you can use the steering wheel controls to go through the menu to make it more eco
Much appreciate your feedback and I am glad I found a resident of Ottawa ... If you don't mind me asking how was your mileage so far on a full tank of gas this past winter and towards the last week of March?

I have made the changes for ACC to ECO mode but I am pretty sure it won't make much a difference in the city driving that I do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Much appreciate your feedback and I am glad I found a resident of Ottawa ... If you don't mind me asking how was your mileage so far on a full tank of gas this past winter and towards the last week of March?

I have made the changes for ACC to ECO mode but I am pretty sure it won't make much a difference in the city driving that I do.
The only time I've paid attention to how far a tank gets me is when I head out on a roadtrip and hit the 401 for 6h and a tank has gotten me well past toronto
With cruise on the L/100km as measured by the car itself stays under 10 unless I'm doing a lot of passing, and I've seen it below 9 on occasion if I reset the counter in a flat section for a while

Around town can be all over the map depending on traffic and driving mood and sometimes it feels like there's a hole in the gas tank :)

Keep in mind that any mileage stats don't account for having to hit the brakes for traffic and then speed back up, or other things like that
Also since I have the remote start now I let it warm up more in the morning than I otherwise would have, and using gas to go nowhere is really bad for the statistics

·
Registered
35 Posts

Hello,

I am from Napanee and mostly drive secondary roads (rural) and the City of Kingston. My avg is about 9L/100km combined.

Not as much as Subaru's data, however my dealership as seen the same numbers with others.

Changing settings has not provided me with any noticeable differences.

Alain

·
Registered
79 Posts

I am in Ottawa as well. As you found the temperature is one main factor. The idle time is also a mileage killer. I drive up from Riverside south to Kanata for work. I drive 2/3 on highway and 1/3 on Stranherd (70 - 80 km) and congested March rd at Kanata. But no way I am hitting busy areas like Huntclub, downtown or St.Laurent. But I do a few stops ( drop wife and kid). My winter mileage average was around 470 kms/ full tank. As of today it is around 550 kms and I expect that to go up to 650 kms on summer( don't know if the AC would reduce it down).

You will find out if drive to Toronto or somewhere far on highways you would reach more than 600 kms or even 700 - 800 kms on full tank easily, provided you are not going too aggressive. If you don't get that, then you have some problem

I think your mileage is normal. You may be hitting more traffic congestion than me. My suggestion is
- Increase highways in your drive even if adds 5 - 10 kms more to your journey.
- Avoid busy time( go early/ late)
- Try reduce quick accelerations and hard breaking( some times when I drive my Ascent on decent speed like 60 - 100 km/h, and I see a red light as far as way 600 to 1000 meters, I wont accelerate at all. With Ascent, I found that goes smoothly with sufficient speed without slowing down too quickly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
from saskatchewan here. i got 9-10 L/100 during summer on long drives. around city, it managed about 12-13. when winter hit especially the first couple of weeks of december where it dipped to -20ish, it was consuming 16-17L/100 with city driving!

·
Registered
21 Posts

Hi
I live in the region as well and planning to purchase a Subaru ascent touring soon to be able to tow my camper (+/- 3000lbs)
That said, have you tow anything yet? How’s it and how’s the consumption ?

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Check out the Towing section of the forum for all sorts of commentary and advice on towing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This has been a great thread, 1 for finding other Canucks (our models are set up different from the US ones...) and the mileage conversation has been useful too.
I’m at 2500KM so far and I’ve been getting 480-510km/tank with mostly city driving. I live just outside of Toronto.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.