Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted my local Subaru dealer and they do not carry any 'steelies'; according to them Subaru still doesn't have them. I'm looking for a set for winter use that will endure a lot of abuse (hello pothole insanity).

So I headed over to Costco and they offer a hub-centric steel wheel, item number 1288091 which is an 18" rim with the same OEM specs with the exception of the offset which is +44mm (vs. stock 55). My guess is they will fit fine, I don't think the 11mm difference in offset will matter.

Has anyone else purchased these? If not, can anyone chime in on the offset issue?

Screenshot_2019-09-20-18-38-56.png
hi

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,311 Posts
What is the load handling rating for those wheels...it's important.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
I am thinking that 44mm offset is still fits. Robert is driving in his rims with 40 mm offset and hi didn’t mentioned any problems with his alloys.
I was looking in this steelis myself but at the end retired idea to have the winters on Ascent. Will carpool with my wife during blizzard condition on her Forester on the winters Bridgestone Blizzaks WS 80. In case you still looking to buy rimes I will consider black alloys. Yes they are CAD$ 45 more but they looks way better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So far I found this for steel rims

DTD part number 851405
Steel Wheel, 18 X 7.5, 5-114.3, 56.1 CB, 38 Offset, Black, 2380 pounds rating

I found them online for about 80.76$cdn each on many canadian websites.

I also contacted the manufacturer/distributor to make sure they really fit on the ascent (as specified on the dtd2009.ca website). The guy told me that they sold many of them to dealers and garages specifically for ascent and everything turned ok. Only wish I could test for real before buying

Since I took a 3 year rental for my ascent, I will probably go for this with Cooper discoverer True North, Toyo observe G3 or Yokohama IG51v for around 1200$cdn, installed and balanced, Federal + provincial (QC) taxes included + mail-in rebate if available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did these rims end up fitting properly? I had caliper issues with ones I bought from Costco. What website did you order yours from?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would appreciate getting Canadian websites that sell steel rims which fit 18" factory tires for 2019 Ascent Touring edition. Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
Costco sold out but I just ordered the same model from here: https://www.partsengine.ca/X48556-vp-RTX-150.aspx

The seller confirmed fitment but now you have me concerned they won't fit... I'll find out in a few weeks...
The specs are fine, other than offset, but that's within the range of what people are running.

Test fit on the front first. It is all a matter of if it clears the front calipers. Steel rims have a bigger well, which may rub.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did these rims end up fitting properly? I had caliper issues with ones I bought from Costco. What website did you order yours from?
i ordered from pneusarabais.com (https://www.quattrotires.com/)

the delivery is scheduled for friday oct. 11,

both the seller and the distributor told me that it fit the ascent, but i'm getting nervous as I read too many problems

a subaru dealer around Montreal offered me steel rims and tires, but his pricing was very uncompetitive and way too high. He did'nt want to tell me the rims model.

will test this week-end to confirm fit.

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
beware, the DTD part number 851405 doesn't fit...

the calipers are rubbing
Sadly, that's been the result with every 18" steel rim so far. :(

Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are the rims you got at Costco the same ones pictured at the beginning of this thread?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tried a second set of steel rims from Costco tonight - same issue with calipers as first set of rims I bought from Costco....this after talking to distributor before I bought that there had not been any issues ....not happy ...wasted time purchasing and installing at Costco two times now...Ascent touring Canada 18” rims

·
Registered
1 Posts
I contacted my local Subaru dealer and they do not carry any 'steelies'; according to them Subaru still doesn't have them. I'm looking for a set for winter use that will endure a lot of abuse (hello pothole insanity).

So I headed over to Costco and they offer a hub-centric steel wheel, item number 1288091 which is an 18" rim with the same OEM specs with the exception of the offset which is +44mm (vs. stock 55). My guess is they will fit fine, I don't think the 11mm difference in offset will matter.

Has anyone else purchased these? If not, can anyone chime in on the offset issue?

View attachment 1571 hi
I purchased these only to find out they interfere with the front brake calipers.

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
Yes, sadly there are now a dozen attempts, with rims purchased from a variety of vendors who claim they'll fit.

End result to date is that there a zero 18" steel rims that clear the front calipers. ?

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
Hi, so what black alloys did everyone get ?
Some options that are load rated high enough to carry the Ascent's weight:
  • Liquid Metal Shadows are nice (looks delicate, yet load rated high enough to carry the Ascent). That's what I run.

• For a beefier look, the Method Rally MR502's are nice.
  • People are also using the KMC Bully 708s.
  • A gorgeous wheel (IMO) is the TSW Ascent - no joke, that's their name.
They all come in other colors as well.

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
One more note:
  • The MR502's and Liquid Metal Shadows fit at 17" (meaning a stock size matching tire of 245/65R17 for same circumference and width).

Gives bigger sidewalls for those getting something all terrain aggressive. Not much purpose to downsize otherwise though.
  • The rest (in 17" size) will scrape on the front calipers or not fit over them.
  • For simply winter tires, 18" is fine, IMO. And for summer, 18" or 20" is fine.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts