Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy is it to just ask to trade down our tires? We would like the smaller tires for mileage but we want the leather. I'm not sure if we're able to find one but, can you get the leather without the moonroof? So many questions! We're just trying to narrow down what we actually want. We might possibly go with cloth and just do good seatcovers. Opinions are welcomed. thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
Our dealer wouldn't...might affect window sticker MPG.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
236 Posts
How easy is it to just ask to trade down our tires? We would like the smaller tires for mileage but we want the leather. I'm not sure if we're able to find one but, can you get the leather without the moonroof? So many questions! We're just trying to narrow down what we actually want. We might possibly go with cloth and just do good seatcovers. Opinions are welcomed. thanks
No factory built option includes the 18" wheels and leather. You may be able to find someone selling a set of factory 18" wheels (or buy aftermarket from Discount Tire, Tire Rack, etc.) if your dealer can't make something work for you there.

And yes, you can get leather without the moonroof. The Limited trim (assuming you are in the US) comes standard with leather and no moonroof as long as you do not select the optional package with the Moonroof and HK Audio.

Reactions: Discount Tire

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
833 Posts
The Limited trim level comes with leather trimmed seats and the moon roof/technology package is optional. It could be hard to find one without the moon roof though unless you order it.

As far as the mpg, your driving style and driving environment will have a much bigger impact than which wheels you have.

I'm willing to wager that I routinely get better gas mileage with my Limited than most people do with their Premium Accents.

I'd suggest spending more time looking at the differences between the trim levels to make sure you know what you will be getting and not be surprised.

Also do comprehensive test drive, not just around the block.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,590 Posts
We would like the smaller tires for mileage
Just to clarify one thing...the tire diameter is identical whether or not you have 18" or 20" wheels from the factory. Any very, very, very slight difference in fuel economy related to wheel size would be purely about weight differences. Some folks think that the 18" wheel combination is "more comfortable" because of the taller sidewall, but that's honestly a very subjective thing. The one real advantage to 18" wheels for the given tire diameter that's OEM for the Ascent is more choices for aftermarket tires.

I doubt that a dealer will swap out 20" wheels for 18" wheels unless they actually have another customer who wants the opposite trade at the same time you are buying.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Some folks think that the 18" wheel combination is "more comfortable" because of the taller sidewall, but that's honestly a very subjective thing. The one real advantage to 18" wheels for the given tire diameter that's OEM for the Ascent is more choices for aftermarket tires.
Is the 18" wheel/tire combo more durable in terms of absorbing bumps and potholes? I would think it might be.

It's definitely something I've been thinking about should I have to replace tires.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,590 Posts
Is the 18" wheel/tire combo more durable in terms of absorbing bumps and potholes? I would think it might be.
That's what many folks say...as I noted the taller sidewall provides a ride that is "more comfortable" for some folks. I've been on 20's since 2012 so nothing has changed with my Ascent in that respect except the tire diameter is slightly smaller. The singular thing I'm not liking about this is that my favorite tire (Michelin Defender LTX) isn't available in the 245/50-20 but is available in the 245/60-18. So if I want to go to that tire when the OEM tires are done, I either have to slightly upsize to the 255/50-20 or replace my wheels with 18s to stay at OEM size. I don't prefer upsizing tires, but...

Reactions: Sparkland
1 - 7 of 7 Posts