Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see in the manual anything about this compartment other than that it contains the tools and has the release point for the spare tire.

Is it possible to remove the plastic tray? If so how does it come out? What's under there?

The reason I'm asking is because if it is possible to remove the tray, I'd love to build a subwoofer that fits in its place. The tray itself is about 11" in the fore/aft dimension, 27" wide before the tool kit compartment, and 5.5" tall. Only the smallest subwoofers can fit in that tray.

I'd like to be able to fit one or two 10" subwoofers in there in a custom MDF box, and then have the compartment lid cover everything. I would take off the existing fabric that's on the lid cover, drill a bunch of holes in it to let the sound pass through, and then recover it with acoustic cloth.

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
Here’s a pic from the trailer hitch installation... kinda vague. There are blue plastic clips holding the rear seat back carpet down that just pop out and then the tray comes out pretty easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's got to be the rear AC stuff. The fuel lines usually won't be inside the cabin.

Could be. I just know on other vehicles I have, that the fuel pump access is under the back seat, so was guessing based on location, but agreed, struck me as odd as well. probably wrong side as well too, since at least the gas fill port is on the passenger side on an Ascent, which is different than most other cars I've had.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Could be. I just know on other vehicles I have, that the fuel pump access is under the back seat, so was guessing based on location, but agreed, struck me as odd as well. probably wrong side as well too, since at least the gas fill port is on the passenger side on an Ascent, which is different than most other cars I've had.
The fuel pump and lines for the imprezas (or at least on my 03 and my 08) is under the passenger rear seat as there is an access panel under the seat or right behind the seat in the trunk. The lines and wiring however are not in the cabin.

Reactions: WebSnyper

·
Registered
92 Posts
Kids lost something under that back seats and I lifted it up to find it.
How hard was it to lift out and put back?

I wonder how long it will take for some clever person to figure out how to make a new rear deck with access lids to the other areas....
Not hard. I did this in August or so but I think the only tool I used was to get the blue clips out of the tray from the seats. The tray itself just clips in.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Good enough area to put some batteries for future hybrid .... wishful thinking :dunno::dunno:
Read an article that said the new Subaru global platform is ready for hybrid/EV vehicle models, so that could very well be the intention of the large area!

When I got my Subaru Survey and they asked what I would be looking for in my next vehicle, all electric was my vote.

I'd love an electric crosstrek or even "just" an impreza! :D

Reactions: Trey T

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Read an article that said the new Subaru global platform is ready for hybrid/EV vehicle models, so that could very well be the intention of the large area!

When I got my Subaru Survey and they asked what I would be looking for in my next vehicle, all electric was my vote.

I'd love an electric crosstrek or even "just" an impreza! :D
In terms of performance alone, it should be very well compete directly against the defunct BMW X5 plug-in hybrid (2.0L 4cyl w/ a single motor, 308hp and 332ft-lbs combined). However, in 2020, BMW (US market) will replace it with a high performance setup, using the I6 3.0L instead w/ larger battery. Hopefully, Subaru can aim their hybrid to sits between the 2018 and 2020 x5 plug-in hybrid. I wouldn't want the hybrid to use another engine setup though and that would be a sad news if they did. I care for more combined power than MPG.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I need to temporarily remove the under-floor storage compartment in my 2019 Subaru Ascent put I can't see the photo in this thread and can't figure out how to do it.
Here's what I did...
  1. Open it and flip the cover onto the third row.
  2. Empty it - this includes the side compartment to the right.
  3. CAREFULLY pull off the cargo area plastic lip that goes over the latch (without damaging the weather seal).
  4. Lift out tray (it's clipped, so, I had to pull hard enough to unclip the clips), taking extreme care to not damage the sound/vibration deadening panels attached to its underneath and sides.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's what I did...
  1. Open it and flip the cover onto the third row.
  2. Empty it - this includes the side compartment to the right.
  3. CAREFULLY pull off the cargo area plastic lip that goes over the latch (without damaging the weather seal).
  4. Lift out tray (it's clipped, so, I had to pull hard enough to unclip the clips), taking extreme care to not damage the sound/vibration deadening panels attached to its underneath and sides.
I just took it out without much thought. Hopefully I didn't damage anything in so doing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts