Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-
So I already have unlimited data on my cell phone. Can I setup the Ascent to use my phone’s data connection as the WiFi hot spot when plugged in via usb?

Thanks in advance.

~Jeff

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Hey all-
So I already have unlimited data on my cell phone. Can I setup the Ascent to use my phone’s data connection as the WiFi hot spot when plugged in via usb?

Thanks in advance.

~Jeff
If you have AT&T cell service you can add the car as another phone to your plan for $10 a month, that's what we did. If not, it's $20 a month unlimited and only through AT&T.

The advantage is the stronger radio and larger antenna on the car gives you much better coverage in marginal areas, we had data coverage in places our cell phones had no signal when crossing the desert Southwest.

Reactions: ATXV18&Ascent19

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,877 Posts
The advantage is the stronger radio and larger antenna on the car gives you much better coverage in marginal areas, we had data coverage in places our cell phones had no signal when crossing the desert Southwest.
I can confirm this...i originally thought that StarLink remote start would not work in our driveway because we are in a near-dead spot for cellular where our house is located. But the cellular radio sensitivity in the Ascent clearly is excellent and the feature works fine. (I don't need nor am I paying for the hotspot capability but it's the same radio)

Reactions: ATXV18&Ascent19

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hey all-

Thanks in advance.

~Jeff
If you plan on using your phone anyway, why would you even set up the car to try and use it? The AT&T service is the only option available for the hotspot. It does work great with the larger antenna and coverage.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Is there an advantage of using the car vs. using the phone as a hot spot?
Much bigger cell antenna that manages to get a stronger signal in areas where AT&T phones get a weaker one.

In my case, it means I have dual coverage (my phone is T-Mobile) and can rely on either of them as needed, such as on my recent road trip, where I ran into areas where one or the other (but not both) provided coverage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts