Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
For the Fumoto, I used the F108S on both my Subies including the Ascent.

Ramps are always easier especially if someone can tell you when you are on. Just pull in, place ramps and drive up.
I also have the Fumoto F108S (short nipple and lever clip) to which I attach the Fumoto SL-10 Elbow with tubing that goes straight into my used oil collector. No spill nice and easy.

I second the ramps + 4 chocks for rear wheels to prevent over-shooting the ramps and rolling backwards

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sometimes I wish they'd use neon paint and block letters on the vehicle to say "JACK GOES HERE" and "JACK STAND GOES HERE". Those thin ridges are fragile-looking that they keep me quite on edge. Making matters more difficult, my jack is only 14" high so I have to use a makeshift extension before lowering it on the jack stand.

Could someone with a kind heart and a little time on their hands go out with a cell phone, take a snap of the area under the passenger door (if it makes a difference, that's where I jack it up from) and use paint to say "jack goes here" and "stand goes here"? It'd take quite a load off the nerves.

Thanks~
IMHO, get an oil pump. Much easier, much safer, much faster and much cleaner. Arguments over sludge in a modern car are unfounded (and if you believe in them that much, then use the traditional methods). Subaru puts the oil filter up top in most all of their cars; hot oil circulates everything. I've done both a traditional oil change on our Ascent and an oil pump and got ~0.1 qt the same amount of oil out.

Getting the oil to the recycler is even easier too. Just set the tank/pump in the back and take it wherever you dispose of used oil. Since switching to the pump, I have no more accidents, spots and spills. Less cleaning is also good for the environment.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Sometimes I wish they'd use neon paint and block letters on the vehicle to say "JACK GOES HERE" and "JACK STAND GOES HERE". Those thin ridges are fragile-looking that they keep me quite on edge. Making matters more difficult, my jack is only 14" high so I have to use a makeshift extension before lowering it on the jack stand.

Could someone with a kind heart and a little time on their hands go out with a cell phone, take a snap of the area under the passenger door (if it makes a difference, that's where I jack it up from) and use paint to say "jack goes here" and "stand goes here"? It'd take quite a load off the nerves.

Thanks~
Ideally, they're not designed for floor jacks, but for the e-jack or post lift, unless you have special adapter. The floor jack behaves differently than a post lift, because one has a "curl" motion and the other has a straight up-down motion, respectively. The curl motion of floor jack pull the thin ridges laterally against the other three wheels, potentially bend it.

Has it bend on me while using floor jack? Yes (on a Honda) and I stopped using those points w/ floor jack. Now, I have Quick-Jack and I can use "those thin ridges" w/o hesitation.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Okay, I had it up on ramps for the first time and it was actually a little tricky. I pulled into the garage, parked the car, put the ramps right in front of the tires. When I tried to pull onto them, I got an "obstacle detected" warning on the dash display and the throttle would not respond no matter how much more I pushed down the pedal. Backing up a foot to get a bit of momentum got the job done. It was just a weird "hack" to have to do. Off to consult the manual...

·
Super Moderator
2,589 Posts
Okay, I had it up on ramps for the first time and it was actually a little tricky. I pulled into the garage, parked the car, put the ramps right in front of the tires. When I tried to pull onto them, I got an "obstacle detected" warning on the dash display and the throttle would not respond no matter how much more I pushed down the pedal. Backing up a foot to get a bit of momentum got the job done. It was just a weird "hack" to have to do. Off to consult the manual...
Try turning off the pre collision throttle management.

I’ve done this a handful of times, enough so that I chuckle at myself every time I forget to do it when going up on ramps.
I wouldn’t recommend using momentum to override the pctm. You can easily overshoot your ramps and cause damage.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thanks, I'll give that a try next time.
I was not really happy about using the momentum. I was gentle with it though and still gently placed the tires into the cradles. I can see how that could go south quickly though.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,290 Posts
The other "workaround" is to just keep on the throttle. It'll beep and beep but will eventually (after 4-6 seconds) give you power back.

This is, however, also sketchy as you wouldn't be able to modulate it well as you climb up the ramp.

·
Registered
927 Posts
IMHO, get an oil pump. Much easier, much safer, much faster and much cleaner. Arguments over sludge in a modern car are unfounded (and if you believe in them that much, then use the traditional methods). Subaru puts the oil filter up top in most all of their cars; hot oil circulates everything. I've done both a traditional oil change on our Ascent and an oil pump and got ~0.1 qt the same amount of oil out.

Getting the oil to the recycler is even easier too. Just set the tank/pump in the back and take it wherever you dispose of used oil. Since switching to the pump, I have no more accidents, spots and spills. Less cleaning is also good for the environment.
This is exactly what I do. After parking the car I pop the hood (so the oil is still warm) and start pumping it out. While that is going I change out the filter. Once pump is done slurping, refill with oil.

It's so darn simple.... then just take the whole pump to the auto store to dump out the old. That's actually the longest part of the whole process.

No tools, no ramps/jacks, no laying on the floor..... well worth the investment.

Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
This is exactly what I do. After parking the car I pop the hood (so the oil is still warm) and start pumping it out. While that is going I change out the filter. Once pump is done slurping, refill with oil.

It's so darn simple.... then just take the whole pump to the auto store to dump out the old. That's actually the longest part of the whole process.

No tools, no ramps/jacks, no laying on the floor..... well worth the investment.
What pump do you own? If it's pneumatic pump, how long does it takes to evacuate the oil?

·
Registered
927 Posts
What pump do you own? If it's pneumatic pump, how long does it takes to evacuate the oil?
EWK Plus ver. 6.5L Pneumatic / Manual Oil Extractor Pump for Automobile Fluids

This is the one I bought. If you don't have an air compressor, you can get a hand only pump a bit cheaper. In the end I don't even use the air compressor hookup.

It takes about 10 mins to suck the oil out. I make sure the oil is warm so it flows freely, then stick the tube into the dipstick as far as I can and pump up the pressure. Then I start changing the oil filter and give it a couple pumps off and on to keep the oil flowing. After about 5 mins, the tube is warmer and more pliable, so I can push it down a little farther (but if it bottoms out, the oil flow will slow to a trickle... if so back it out a tiny bit.). Once the filter is changed I wait until the tube starts slurping tons of air and then I'm done.

Put the new oil and off we go. No mess, no cleanup and no jacks/jack stands or ramps. Take the oil pump to the auto store and dump it there, then store until the next usage.

Reactions: Trey T and Titanrx8

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just changed the oil and added a Fumoto drain valve, when I realized that I had some long scraps of 2x8 pressure treated lumber. Stacked short on top of long I screwed them together to make a 3” tall ramp which is perfect for me. I didn’t even bevel the ends because I was in a hurry. Only had to disable the collision avoidance or else she wouldn’t move up the ramp.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

Sat and sat on this idea for a few months afterwards. Watched video after video, read comparison after comparison and eventually gave this manual/pneumatic fluid extractor a chance. It was insanely easy to use (and for my first time I wasn't around my compressor so don't yet know how much easier it will be without manually pumping it). No need for jacks, no shimmying, no effort whatsoever. Not that the old way of changing oil is all that much of an effort, but this was ridiculously simple. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sat and sat on this idea for a few months afterwards. Watched video after video, read comparison after comparison and eventually gave this manual/pneumatic fluid extractor a chance. It was insanely easy to use (and for my first time I wasn't around my compressor so don't yet know how much easier it will be without manually pumping it). No need for jacks, no shimmying, no effort whatsoever. Not that the old way of changing oil is all that much of an effort, but this was ridiculously simple. Thanks!
How far past the length of the dipstick do you have to push the intake tube? I just tried my first oil change with a similar pump (2021 Ascent), and I could only ever get about half the oil (a little over 2 quarts) out.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts