Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in buying a 2011 Palomino Stampede S-195SD hybrid trailer that I found locally. The one I would buy has double axle and a GVWR of 5762 lbs. but doesn't that just mean that it could if being towed by a larger vehicle potentially carry additional cargo up to that weight. The total dry weight is 3467 and the tongue weight is only 271. Am I correct in thinking that the Ascent shouldn't have a problem towing this?
Thanks

Since this is my first post it won't let me link to a specs page sorry.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
With the dry weight you can definitely tow it, with the understanding that you CANT load the trailer to its gvwr. I’m assuming you’ll want to take more than an empty trailer with you so be careful how you load it so as not to exceed tongue weight or 5000lb. Those fresh water tanks and propane tanks really add up quickly.
I towed a similar trailer this summer. It weighed a little less than this one but had a higher tongue weight and the Ascent pulled it just fine. I don’t know how many people you’re sleeping in there but we had 6! Those fold out tent ends are awesome!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I regularly tow 4,500 lbs with my Ascent with no problems.

One thing to remember..... the gear adds up quick. Think of all the things you might put in there. Camping chairs, pots & pans, food, even sleeping bags and clothes all add up. Propane tanks are heavy and definitely don't travel with water in the tanks.

It's very easy to put 1,000-1500lbs of gear in a camper. So with a camper like that, you'll have to be more careful. My pop-up is 3,200lbs dry and I'm probably towing 3,800lbs as I pack light.

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
294 Posts
On a recent 6 day trip the items that I put in the trailer and that remain there totaled 315.7 lb. You can see a list of those items here:

The weight of the food and clothes and personal items currently listed on that page is 162 lb., but on our second trip, which was longer it was 211.8 lb. (Yes, I do weigh everything).

Everything added for this trip was 528 lb. That does not include the 6 gallons of water in the water heater, at least 1 gallon of water in the water lines, the 40 lb. single battery and 20 lb. of propane, as the trailer is kept like that all the time.

Our Coachmen 187RB weighed 3745 lb. when we pulled out of the drive with a 411 lb. tongue weight.

Thought you might appreciate some "real world" numbers.

Ken

·
Registered
574 Posts
Our trailer (2016 jayco jayflight 7 22-bhm) weighs in well above yours and the tongue weight is at least 400 lbs according to the weigh safe hitch, I had planned to weigh it, but am not seeing the point now it tows just fine.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just to add to this conversation and update my information. I weighed our camper, ready to camp with all the tanks full it came in at 4960 lbs with 400 lbs of tonque weight. With 81 gallons (3-25 gallon tanks and 6 gallon water heater) of water on board. So removing the water weight we are at 4285 lbs roughly as equipped for camping, minus food.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
400 lb on the tongue is a little light, but not too bad. I go for 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight.

·
Registered
574 Posts
400 lb on the tongue is a little light, but not too bad. I go for 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight.
With the tanks empty the TW will go up some, but it pulls just fine. At 400 lbs it is pulling 160 lbs off the front tires, at 500 lbs it would be nearly 200 lbs. Maybe more. I'm not convinced that would help anything, but every trailer is different. Subaru specs 8-11% of load on the hitch weight. For our rig it tows pretty good as is. Ive towed it over an hour tanks full and about the same with just the fresh tank full and it was a night and day difference, the latter had the tongue weighed down considerably and I could feel it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,877 Posts
That's an important thing, Ruben...making sure it feels right relative to balance, etc. You can also shift a little weight once you're down the road if you feel the need and/or weather conditions start to change how things are feeling, too. Towing isn't a static operation. :)

Reactions: Ruben Marin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread but I am looking at an 21 foot Escape trailer with double axle and dry weight of 3365 lbs with GWVR of 5000. Hitch weight 350 lbs. On the surface everything seems to check out with what the Ascent can do. Picking up our 2020 Ascent with tow package in just a little over a week. Is this trailer too big? Just worried about taxing the engine even though in prowling the forums seems people are taking bigger trailers out and not having any problems.

There's also the 19 foot Escape trailer which weighs in at 3150 dry weight, GWVR 5000, and hitch weight 290lbs.

Thoughts? I know all this is subjective but just curious.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You really need to hitch up the trailer and test it out. Depends alot on the trailer balance and width as well. My trailer is longer and heavier than those, but is only 7 feet wide which makes a big defference.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread but I am looking at an 21 foot Escape trailer with double axle and dry weight of 3365 lbs with GWVR of 5000. Hitch weight 350 lbs. On the surface everything seems to check out with what the Ascent can do. Picking up our 2020 Ascent with tow package in just a little over a week. Is this trailer too big? Just worried about taxing the engine even though in prowling the forums seems people are taking bigger trailers out and not having any problems.

There's also the 19 foot Escape trailer which weighs in at 3150 dry weight, GWVR 5000, and hitch weight 290lbs.

Thoughts? I know all this is subjective but just curious.

Thanks everyone.
These specs look to be well within the Ascent's limits even after the trailer is reasonably loaded. Just check the tongue weight after you're fully loaded to ensure it's within around 10% of the total gross weight and under 500 lbs.

I wish I could find a trailer I liked with these specs. May I ask the model?

·
Registered
574 Posts
These specs look to be well within the Ascent's limits even after the trailer is reasonably loaded. Just check the tongue weight after you're fully loaded to ensure it's within around 10% of the total gross weight and under 500 lbs.

Here is the product page, there are only a few models so easy to figure out whats available, based on looks they seem like they would be a great fit for the ascent.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well it is close.. if you add up all the tanks being full this adds 690.52 Lbs and food, bedding, equipment etc is at least 600 Lbs. Together this all weighs 1290 + 3365 = 4655 Lbs. It would't be difficult to get to 5000 Lbs. As long as you are aware of this you should be ok.

·
Registered
9 Posts

If you are looking for specs in the Escape 21 C range, also consider the Geo Pro FD 19 FD with a Murphy bed which gives you a lot of space or the other "19" configurations.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you are looking for specs in the Escape 21 C range, also consider the Geo Pro FD 19 FD with a Murphy bed which gives you a lot of space or the other "19" configurations.
After over a year of intense research, I've tentatively decided to purchase the Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106DS. I really wanted a dual axle trailer and this one is just about perfect for me. It's made with high-quality materials from a highly respected manufacturer which was a requirement for me, yet unlike many other premium quality trailers, the price is still reasonable.

I would have owned one by now, buy Covid has delayed my retirement plans until 2021.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts