Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m 99% sure it’s user error here but I can’t figure out how to get the in car WiFi to work. I’ve signed up for the free trial from AT&T and in settings I have WiFi on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
334 Posts
So the WIFI settings allow you to connect to your home network and do things like download updates. You need to look for WIFI HOTSPOT. That's where you configure the WIFI for use in the car. If you look at the HOTSPOT settings, you'll see you can configure the name of your hotspot and the password.

Reactions: gsctht

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the WIFI settings allow you to connect to your home network and do things like download updates. You need to look for WIFI HOTSPOT. That's where you configure the WIFI for use in the car. If you look at the HOTSPOT settings, you'll see you can configure the name of your hotspot and the password.
Thank you! Is that in general settings?

·
Registered
232 Posts
You want to also check what signal the wifi is sending, either 5ghz or 2.4ghz, it's in the menu. The tablet, or phone, you are trying to connect may only be able to pick up 2.4 and the Ascent is doing 5.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not seeing a hotspot menu either. I've rebooted the radio twice; no change. Wifi is turned on and working (I'm connected to my home router). I've checked for software updates, and there are none found.

I've got the AT&T one-month trial account, but it doesn't provide any info about what to do next.

Possibly related: the StarLink menu is messed up also: it says that bluetooth is disconnected (it's not) and smartphone data connection is poor (it's not), and "please turn off wi-fi and try again" whether or not the wifi is actually on.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
You need to pay for a subscription

I rember seeing hotspot menu but now its not there. Anybody experienced this issue?
I am not seeing a hotspot menu either. I've rebooted the radio twice; no change. Wifi is turned on and working (I'm connected to my home router). I've checked for software updates, and there are none found.

I've got the AT&T one-month trial account, but it doesn't provide any info about what to do next.

Possibly related: the StarLink menu is messed up also: it says that bluetooth is disconnected (it's not) and smartphone data connection is poor (it's not), and "please turn off wi-fi and try again" whether or not the wifi is actually on.
The Ascents come with 30 day/1GB (whichever comes first) of free AT&T LTE connection with in vehicle hotspot. That's ONE item, not two different items.

In order to keep the hotspot functionality, you need to convert the AT&T trial into a full account. Existing AT&T customers can get it cheaper (the site will walk you through it).

In the event you gave a valid email address at the time of purchase, you should have gotten an email explaining all of this shortly after your vehicle purchase was completed. If you lost that email, deleted that email, the email went to your junk or spam folder, you did not provide an email address, or did not provide a valid email address, then go to the link below if you're interested in keeping or re-enabling in vehicle hotspot:

The wifi/hotspot from AT&T comes with "unlimited" LTE to WIFI hotspot (unlimited meaning "capped at 22GB, at which time it slows down, but you won't be charged more").

With the Ascent's FAR larger LTE antenna (than the tiny antenna in my massive Note9), I get far better reception through the car, and am happy I got it. Your needs may vary.

And, in case someone was about to ask: no, you cannot enable the in vehicle hotspot any other way. You need an AT&T vehicle LTE account that you will find via the link above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought I made it pretty clear that I'd signed up with AT&T, etc. The problem is that there is no wifi hotspot button in the setup menu. MySubaru thinks I'm enrolled. AT&T thinks I'm enrolled. I've got my AT&T account all set up. But there's no way to turn it on hotspot.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
I could have said this shorter... let me try again...

I thought I made it pretty clear that I'd signed up with AT&T, etc. The problem is that there is no wifi hotspot button in the setup menu. MySubaru thinks I'm enrolled. AT&T thinks I'm enrolled. I've got my AT&T account all set up. But there's no way to turn it on hotspot.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. The one month trial expires at 1GB (it's whichever threshold is passed first), which might be your problem. When you log into the AT&T account, how much data does it show you used?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. The one month trial expires at 1GB (it's whichever threshold is passed first), which might be your problem. When you log into the AT&T account, how much data does it show you used?
It says I've used zero, which I assume is because I've never been able to use the hotspot because there's no menu entry to turn it on.

And if I had used 1G, then it would automatically start using my regular data plan, which I've already signed up for, as mentioned previously.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found this forum because I had the same problem with my brand new Crosstrek. The WiFi hotspot control was visible in General Settings. I successfully toggled it on and off several times and utilized the AT&T free trial. After the free trial was over I toggled it off for several days but continued to see it as an option in the menu. Suddenly yesterday I noticed the WiFi had disappeared from the menu system entirely. I restarted the car several times and it did not reappear. I rebooted the radio as suggested above and still the option did not appear. When I started the car to go to work this AM, I checked again and the WiFi toggle reappeared. I was able to turn WiFi on and off as before and connect my phone to the car using WiFi. I am not sure what the problem was and am glad it appears to have resolved itself, but I think this is a software bug.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Followup from this morning: I stopped by the local Subaru service center, told them about the problem, and they updated the software, and now the button is there. Hooray! It says it's on, and the settings all look plausible, etc.

(It's a little odd that my software was out of date, even though the "Update Software" button told me that there weren't any updates, but maybe the software was just generally messed up.)

I had to get to work, so I didn't have time to try it. Hopefully I'll still be saying "Hooray" after that.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts