Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Camping this weekend was great, the tent installs in 5 minutes.
A couple things to have a good experience.
A carabiner for the rear hatch, the car thinks the hatch is closed when open.
Put your key Fob's into sleep mode, the car thinks the Fob is not in range.
Zero battery drain=Good times.
Don't forget the battery candle for ambiance.
I'm not a service tech so don't do these if you are not comfortable with it.
20200926_085055.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice info, would you mind elaborating on the carabiner for the rear hatch? I am going camping this weekend and would like to avoid a dead battery.

Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sure, keep in mind this a 2021, I am not a tech, I know where the manual hatch release is.

Open the hatch, place a carabiner about eight inches away from the latch in the direction the hatch will travel.
Press the close button on the hatch and let the closing hatch catch the carabiner.
Be sure that it latches completely, two catches, the car will do a long beep.
Check the dash and you will see the hatch open indicator is out.
One time I had to use the manual catch release for the carabiner, behind the cover on the inside of the hatch near the latch.
It would be nice to know if this works on all models and years as long as your comfortable doing it.

EDIT: We now use a hatch catch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sure, keep in mind this a 2021, I am not a tech, I know where the manual hatch release is.

Open the hatch, place a carabiner about eight inches away from the latch in the direction the hatch will travel.
Press the close button on the hatch and let the closing hatch catch the carabiner.
Be sure that it latches completely, two catches, the car will do a long beep.
Check the dash and you will see the hatch open indicator is out.
One time I had to use the manual catch release for the carabiner, behind the cover on the inside of the hatch near the latch.
It would be nice to know if this works on all models and years as long as your comfortable doing it.
Thanks for the info. I have a 2021 as well. Appreciate the info and will relay that this works for me as well.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
104 Posts
I was hoping the '21s would have the new electronics in them to shut down the power draw after so long.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hoping the '21s would have the new electronics in them to shut down the power draw after so long.
I know, my hope was dashed after I waited 40min and the screen between the speedo and tach that shows which doors are open did not go out.
My meter does not go low enough to measure the amp draw, I'm hoping someone will measure it on a 2021.
My wish list would also include a single button that overrides and shuts off all lighting for camping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We ordered the "Hatch Catch" from Nick Blackman. He sells them through 'etsy'. BF Innovations.
We camped for three days with the hatch open the whole time. No problem. Works great. This also makes the car think the back harch is closed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice work. I'm planning some outdoor fun and am curious about the tent. I would be happy to avoid using my old ground tent.
Which tent did you install and would you recommend it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This a great post. I've been concerned when camping as I've killed my battery a couple of times inadvertently. Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We ordered the "Hatch Catch" from Nick Blackman. He sells them through 'etsy'. BF Innovations.
We camped for three days with the hatch open the whole time. No problem. Works great. This also makes the car think the back harch is closed.
Thanks for the reminder. I looked at that catch a few months ago before we got our ascent.
I like the color, cant lose that thing and won't forget it when closing the hatch.
Sold. Will add it to my trunk supplies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So many thanks for suggesting this product, I ordered it immediately after reading your post and in now resides in my car full time. Had one instance of dead battery over the summer and bu luck I found someone to give me a jump.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice work. I'm planning some outdoor fun and am curious about the tent. I would be happy to avoid using my old ground tent.
Which tent did you install and would you recommend it?
Thanks!
I would recommend this tent but..
It was bought over 20 years ago along with one for a full size truck which I used on our tailgate suburban.
Was bought online at campmor and can't find where they still sell it.
It has been on a grand cherokee, two foresters and a ascent, it fits perfectly, no gaps on the ascent.
It installs in 5 minutes and on the ascent I can run it at 2 different hatch levels.
Hatch high it fits snug under the bottom of the hatch gasket no gaps as shown in pic.
Hatch low it fits under the bumper tucked in around the tailpipes no gaps.
The explorer 2 at amazon looks like the same tent but cant be sure, and wow the price 3 times what I paid.
If your outdoor fun is sleeping in your ascent, or any car, the number one priority is VENTILATION.
Does not really matter how you achieve it just make sure you do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 'Napier - Sportz SUV Tent with Screen Room 84000'. New they are $399. We found one locally used for a lot less. We used it with our 2016 Outback and it was great. We are now using it with our 2020 Ascent. It still fits the bigger back fine. Using our 'Hatch Catch' we were able to keep the back tailgate up for 3 straight days and nights with no problems. The main room was big enough to keep our camping table, chairs, a folding shelf, and a couple storage crates. The screen room is where we kept our other crates and the rest of our 'stuff'. The only negative is that the screen room has no floor. But a blue tarp works fine.
Of course we like the extra room in the Ascent for more comfortable sleeping. We splurged and bought a 'Luna Life' air mattress. It is expensive but well made and is made to fit the Subaru. With the mattress comes two air filled blocks that fill in the space between the seats. We also bought 4 Universal Car Window Sun Shades which fit over the windows. We put the windows down and put these shades on so that we get a lot of air through the car. Or keep a couple up on cold nights.
Finally, we love our 17" Blackstone grill. We can cook anything we want and clean up is easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have a 'Napier - Sportz SUV Tent with Screen Room 84000'. New they are $399. We found one locally used for a lot less. We used it with our 2016 Outback and it was great. We are now using it with our 2020 Ascent. It still fits the bigger back fine. Using our 'Hatch Catch' we were able to keep the back tailgate up for 3 straight days and nights with no problems. The main room was big enough to keep our camping table, chairs, a folding shelf, and a couple storage crates. The screen room is where we kept our other crates and the rest of our 'stuff'. The only negative is that the screen room has no floor. But a blue tarp works fine.
Of course we like the extra room in the Ascent for more comfortable sleeping. We splurged and bought a 'Luna Life' air mattress. It is expensive but well made and is made to fit the Subaru. With the mattress comes two air filled blocks that fill in the space between the seats. We also bought 4 Universal Car Window Sun Shades which fit over the windows. We put the windows down and put these shades on so that we get a lot of air through the car. Or keep a couple up on cold nights.
Finally, we love our 17" Blackstone grill. We can cook anything we want and clean up is easy.
did this one provide an extraroom of sorts off the trunk?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since the thread got a bump, a couple questions. Has anyone had a chance to measure the amp draw of a open hatch on a '21 and the draw cutoff times? Did anyone else get this sticker free in their hatch catch order? Thanks.

catch.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
32 Posts
We just purchased a Rightline Gear SUV tent. It seems to fit the back of the Ascent just fine. I need to practice with the car attachment straps to minimize the mosquito entry areas but we are really looking forward to trying out the new toy in a couple weeks
88767CF6-4339-4954-BD05-5F5285B71B48.jpeg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lake Superior camping with the popup.

Muskallonge State Park

Superior sunset.

Towing 800lbs you forget it's back there. RAB actually turns off as intended with this trailer.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
174 Posts
That is the most adorable little popup trailer I've ever seen.

It's also not big enough to accommodate our dogs, let alone us.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
32 Posts
Nice, fo you find the soft canvass top less durable than the more popular fiberglass pop up camper?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is the most adorable little popup trailer I've ever seen.
We thought the same thing, and for us very comfortable. LivinLite made these for a dozen or so years. Aluminum frame, floor and box. This model is the Quicksilver 6.0 they made a 8.0 and a few others. They kinda have a small cult following. The craftsmanship and quality materials are top notch. They also made a off road version for the overland crowd. Queen bed, AC/DC and a inverter, that is about it. I rebuilt the electric panel/converter area so it has the AC/USB outlets and added two more 12v outlet/USB combos. The deep cycle is in the box on the front. Spare tire underneath the frame. I built a couple hanging shelves for the laptop and gear. We have 2 folding rocking chairs and a potty for comfort.
find the soft canvass top less durable than the more popular fiberglass
I would say less durable. However it is a 2010 and is showing zero signs of wear. We take the canvas completely off each year, (just velcro) clean it and store it in the house for winter. Extreme downpours have never penetrated the canvas. It is like marine grade vinyl and canvas. Top quality material. We love this popup! We also sleep in the Ascent and or a converted cargo trailer, depending on the outing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts