Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for California, there are times when we need to carry/install a chain even on the cars that are not equipped for chain installation. And I saw a few posts about the Cable Chains suggestion for Subaru cars. Have anyone purchased a cable chain type/brand/model that is suitable for Ascent Touring? There is no site that said they have one suitable for Ascent, but there are brand/model that can fit the 245/50R20 size tires. I just want to know if anyone had tried any brand/type on this car. We are going on trips in December and we need to buy one to at least have it in the car. Thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
Again, as I am sure you are aware, the manual states something like, hey no chains, but like Class S type thingies are OK. Perhaps these could work?
https://www.truckntow.com/super-z-lt-light-truck-suv-cable-chains-4701.html

If you are in California, I would see what Les Schwab has. At least there, you can return them if you don't use them. I need to exchange the ones from my F150 for ones that fit the Ascent. I have never had to chain up on any of my vehicles, and I don't expect to on the Ascent either. Then again, I have Blizzaks going on next Monday.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Long time Subaru owner, CA / Sierras skier here. Get cables in a soft sided bag. You will never ever use them on open roads. I have only used cables once for about 20ft on my Legacy climbing up an iced over steep driveway to the road at a ski rental. Once on the street I removed them. Only open roads you might use them is Yosemite if your there during a heavy snow.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I am surprised there's not an exception to the chain rule with regard to Subaru's because they never get stuck, according to Suby owners. Just messing with you.

Are you putting the chains over dedicated snow tires? Here in Colorado, we must have "snowflake" tires, AWD, or 4WD.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you are driving an AWD Subaru, and the tires are M+S or higher, you simply have to have chains with you when "chains are required" in Washington. The only time you are required to put them on is if Law enforcement is stopping all traffic and only letting certain vehicles through. I think this is called a Class C road closure, or that's what it was called in Oregon

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I am surprised there's not an exception to the chain rule with regard to Subaru's because they never get stuck, according to Suby owners. Just messing with you.

Are you putting the chains over dedicated snow tires? Here in Colorado, we must have "snowflake" tires, AWD, or 4WD.
You'd be surprised. I have a friend in Canada with a Subie who regularly gets waved past chain check points. I know someone in one of the other forums (Outback I think) who said one time the guy cursed at him. "Why the f are you stopping?!?! You've got a f'ing Subaru!!!" - that was probably Vermont, lol!

:grin:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was once in Yosemite at the 6,000 foot elevation during an unexpected spring snow storm. I was in a rental rear wheel drive Thunderbird. Let's just say that thrill rides at Disney are nothing like white knuckle roads with 200+ foot drops and no guardrails. Unless there is a FLY option, don't go there.

·
Registered
35 Posts

In Washington state, the reality is they usually close the highway before requiring chains on AWD/4WD vehicles. However, they do still require that you carry them so you can get yourself out of trouble if things ice up suddenly.

Mt. Rainier National Park also requires that you carry chains, even for 4WD...you'll get questioned at the main entrance.

·
Registered
978 Posts
You'd be surprised. I have a friend in Canada with a Subie who regularly gets waved past chain check points. I know someone in one of the other forums (Outback I think) who said one time the guy cursed at him. "Why the f are you stopping?!?! You've got a f'ing Subaru!!!" - that was probably Vermont, lol!

:grin:
That was me in Tahoe many yrs ago. Yes got a good rookie chewing from the chain control. Over the yrs I have made escapes from Tahoe on closed roads during lulls between storms. Never used the cables. Granted the Sierras are not the same as ice country like say Michigan but there no one uses or carries chains and they all think they are trying out for NAS CAR.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live in the mountains of Southern California (6,200') and we are required to have chains in the vehicle if it's snowing. I carried around heavy, bulky chains for 32 years and have never used them. Two years ago I found Auto Socks, literally fabric socks for your tires. They are accepted by most, if not all, states as traction devices. They are much lighter and pack in a compartment much easier. Like others have said, I just get waved through when they see the Subaru emblem so haven't had to show the Auto Socks yet either. I got mine for all three Subaru cars on Amazon or from the manufacturer. I see now that some auto parts stores carry them.

https://autosock.us/

·
Registered
978 Posts
Don’t go crazy on really pricey stuff and stick with known items like cables so if you do need to show them the chain monkey will see your good vs stop and scratch his beenie then need to call management over to figure out if your socks fit. Lol

I have never had any open road require me to cable up in the Sierras. I even drove out under closed roads highway 80 was shut down had 10 inches of snow covering it. That was in my Legacy GT half the clearance of the OB or Ascent on stock Bridgstones. Not an issue. The CHP Officer parked across the highway was shocked when I pulled up and asked if he wanted his coffee topped off. Ha ha. Got home in 4 hours two days later co workers spent 10hours trying to get home.

The only place I know Subarus ie everyone even with snow rated tires have been told to chain up on open roads was Yosemite.

All the typical ski routes youll never used the cables except maybe to claw your way out of a ski rental down off the main road. Thats the only time I ever strapped up my Subaru. It was also the only vehicle in our group of 15 people that was able to get out. The rest had to wait till the sand and Salt had melted the ice off the driveway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought the the super z6 cable tire chains and installed them on my 18” rims. They didn’t have any clearance issues after I installed them and drove about 100’.

We are getting 30” of snow tonight in the Salt Lake mountains. I will try out the stock tires and possibly the chains in the morning. I am also heading up on Sunday to do some off road exploration to find a tree. I’ll let everyone know how the car handles in deep snow.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I bought the the super z6 cable tire chains and installed them on my 18” rims. They didn’t have any clearance issues after I installed them and drove about 100’.

We are getting 30” of snow tonight in the Salt Lake mountains. I will try out the stock tires and possibly the chains in the morning. I am also heading up on Sunday to do some off road exploration to find a tree. I’ll let everyone know how the car handles in deep snow.
Some long time Subaru advice don’t run any traction devices unless someone makes you do it. They are brutally hard on awd systems and I have never come across the need for anything on the Subaru outside of the one time 15yrs ago we were iced in. Talking clear glaze ice over the driveway that was a steep climb up to the main road. In that case my Legacy with cables was the only vehicle out of 4 that made it to the street. Then we stripped the cables off and 40 miles on closed roads with 10-15 inches of snow with zero issues. Other storms we had snow up over the hood piling up against the window wipers which case it was the window wipers ability to scoop snow off the window that slowed us down not the cars ability to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did not need to use the chains.

I tried the ascent out in the snow and it worked quite well. We drove up and down roads that had 30” of snow fall on them and were not plowed. The snowmobiles did pack it down which helped. My friend brought her 2018 Impreza which did ok but had to keep the momentum due to lack of ground clearance. The Impreza had replaced the stock tires which looked to make a big difference.

The stock falken tires were definitely the weak point. A 4 Runner parked next to me and got stuck and needed pulled out by a truck. My Ascent and the Impreza did not get stuck which I found interesting. I’m keeping the stock tires until they are wore out but will definitely buy different all season tires next time.

X-mode seemed to a big difference when I engaged it. The car seemed to have more traction and remain more under control.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all,

Just bumping this thread up a bit. Anyone actually buy cables that they've used and can recommend (happy to read about ones you don't recommend too)? No Les Schwab near me, and yea yea yea, I know we don't "need" them, but law requires it, so hoping someone has used some this season already.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Hi all,

Just bumping this thread up a bit. Anyone actually buy cables that they've used and can recommend (happy to read about ones you don't recommend too)? No Les Schwab near me, and yea yea yea, I know we don't "need" them, but law requires it, so hoping someone has used some this season already.

Thanks!
Here's what I have for our Ascent (18" wheels). Use the same thing, but a different size, on our Forester.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H9GQ5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Have you actually used them yet on the Ascent in snow?
Have not used them in snow yet, however, I installed them to ensure they fit. Others on here have stated similar cable chains don't have a clearance issue, but I will say that the clearance is pretty tight, at least on my car. Not a clearance issue with the fender well, but between the inside top of the sidewall with the strut tower. When you slide a finger in there I find no more than a half to 5/8" of clearance. After installing the Z-Chains I found there is very little room to play with. I did drive the car back and forth several feet to tighten them as well as listen, with the window down, for any noise indicating they were rubbing against the strut tower, but didn't hear anything.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the Z Chain as well, and sized for the 20" wheels on the Limited. Haven't used them yet though and I just have the stock tires. I just carry them in case I get stopped and asked since you're suppose to carry cables/chain on you during chain control/restriction.

I'm in the Bay Area and go to Tahoe pretty regularly during the winter season (killer storms we've been having lately!!) but I've never had any issues being stopped at control, either with my Ascent, or previous SUV. They see an SUV, good tread on your tires, and let you go through. Don't think I've ever experience any situation where they actually check your tires to see if they are snow tires. Has anyone?

The Z Cables wore out pretty quick though and the chains/links got pretty rusty after a couple of use when I used them on previous car. It broke off at one point as I was driving (and I was only going less than 30 mph on chain control). Not sure if it was a bad batch but it was poorly made. Probably didn't need to use the cables, to be honest, but it was just piece of mind driving in chain control areas. They are, however, super easy to put on though.

The stock tires are decent in snow, without cables. It's fine getting you out of snow, but horrible with grip. Just keep distance because it takes some distance to come to a stop.

Also - it's crazy how many Subaru's are up in the Sierra/Tahoe. =)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts