Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I tried to tag onto an existing thread in the Interior sub forum, but no replies there as yet.

We are coming up on the second oil change on my wife's Ascent, and I wanted to save a few $ and change the cabin filter myself since I see it is part of the 12,000 mile service and I do this in all our other vehicles without issues. I removed the glove box like normal, but I cannot seem to find easily engage tabs for the cover of the cabin filter itself. The top of what I believe to be the cover seems to be a bit obstructed/covered by the black plastic outer frame of the housing, and I don't see an easy way to engage any tabs to remove or flip down the cover.

I've reviewed some videos for other Subarus but can't find one specific to the Ascent, and I also don't know if it is different for the first time replacement (i.e. I have seen that on some vehicles there is some additional plastic to be removed/cut out by the dealer for example, and then follow up cabin filter replacements are easy).

Any pointers? I'd prefer not to have the dealer do this even the first time if it is truly an easy replacement. I've done this on multiple vehicles (Hondas, Toyotas, etc) with no issues in the past, so not new to this, but haven't done one on a Subaru and definitely not on an Ascent.

Thanks in advance, especially for any references with pics, videos, etc. I can post a picture of what I am seeing if needed.

Thank you

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
814 Posts
I replaced mine about a month ago and had trouble figuring out the cover also.

It unclips from the bottom using the 2 square-ish clips. Then pull it out from the bottom first and the top will release.

I’ve always used STP filters from Auto Zone for all my cars and they fit well and cost less than $15.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. I just got into it again and now that I know I am supposed to pull it from the bottom, the cover basically dropped open as soon as I touched each of the bottom clips.

The forum and its members comes through again.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
It is a bit different than the other Subaru vehicles (at least the ones that have YouTube videos on-line. The manual offers a good description and along with the YouTube videos it is fairly straight forward. The difference appears to be in the two clips that need to be squeezed in order to release the filter cover. The filter seems to be too high for easy removal and care needs to be taken in order not to dump whatever debris might be on the top of the filter. I placed a magazine under the filter as I squeezed it and pulled it out. I changed mine at 12000. It wasn't in too bad condition, but as a proactive step I was glad to change it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts