Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the cabin air intake is located in the Accent?

Yesterday, when I was driving I turned on the air and the fan sounded like my Vitamix blender as it chopped up all of the peanuts and bird seed a mouse had packed into the fan after chewing through the cabin air filter, and blew it all out the air vents into my face.

I'm going to put a piece of metal screen on top of the new air filter but I'd really like to keep those suckers out of the car by screening off the air intake source wherever that is.

I didn't see anything under the hood or at the base of the windshield that looked like an intake that a mouse could get into. I didn't see any obvious signs of mice under there so I don't know how or where they are getting in.

My wife keeps bird seed and peanuts in the garage and forgot to put the bags into the mouse proof bins.

The good news is there was only food in there and not a nest full of babies like I had in my Ram a few years ago when I had to find the nearest baby mouse rescue and rehab person (not joking and not my idea).

Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Behind your glove box. I will do a video this weekend. It's a breeze to change. The hardest part was emptying my glove box.

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
HeHe. I read 'moose' instead of mouse for some reason. changes the whole story!
@Robert.Mauro does the external air also come from that location or just the recirc?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
HeHe. I read 'moose' instead of mouse for some reason. changes the whole story!

@Robert.Mauro does the external air also come from that location or just the recirc?
Brilliance Subaru says both.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Actually, it's very similar to how one would do it in the Outback, so, you could follow this vid.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Robert - Thanks for the info, however that's not what I was asking. I know how to change the cabin filter. I'm looking for the source of the air coming into the filter, the hole to the outside world that the moose or mouse is coming in from.

Any idea about that?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Robert - Thanks for the info, however that's not what I was asking. I know how to change the cabin filter. I'm looking for the source of the air coming into the filter, the hole to the outside world that the moose or mouse is coming in from.

Any idea about that?
Gary, got it. The vents are located in front of your windshield, after your hood. I think. I can't find the appropriate parts diagram (image is broken on the parts site), so I can't confirm it or link the image here.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gary, got it. The vents are located in front of your windshield, after your hood. I think. I can't find the appropriate parts diagram (image is broken on the parts site), so I can't confirm it or link the image here.
Ok Robert, thanks. I'll look around there some more. I didn't see an obvious entry point when I looked earlier today.

I don't know how much a mouse can carry at one time but he must have been a busy little guy because I took at least a full cup of nuts and seeds out of the fan plus what blew out of the vents. Maybe it was a moose...

·
Registered
816 Posts
I check both filters myself every 6 months.Servicing the filters at the dealerships is ridiculously overpriced for the work that goes in.Both filters can be swapped in less than 5 minutes.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I check both filters myself every 6 months.Servicing the filters at the dealerships is ridiculously overpriced for the work that goes in.Both filters can be swapped in less than 5 minutes.
Yep, it took me longer to do a video of the air intake filter swap than it would for me to swap both filters twice each, lol!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is the cabin intake location below the windshield, in the cowl where the wipers are ?

The grill there seems pretty fine for a mouse to get through.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The grill there seems pretty fine for a mouse to get through.
Yes, too small so that's why I think there is a mouse sized opening somewhere at the top of the fender into the cowel.

I now switch the air from fresh to recirculate when I park in the garage plus my wife keeps her critter food in steel trash cans so the mice can't get to it.

No more problems so far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts