Super Moderator
6,394 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Does anyone make a charcoal filter? I find they are of some benefit in reducing outside odors from making their way in.

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
Does anyone make a charcoal filter? I find they are of some benefit in reducing outside odors from making their way in.
Not that I've been able to find, but, if one pops up for the 2018-2019 Forester or Impreza, it will fit in the Ascent as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi all, did the video ever get posted? I can get the glove box out of the way (works just like my Toyota and other cars), but I am having issues getting the panel covering the cabin filter itself removed. This is the first time it will have been replaced in the Ascent. It seems like part of the cover that I would remove is somewhat obstructed at the top, but I don't easily see or feel tabs that are allowing me to easily press and remove the cover like I have experienced with other vehicles, or the videos I see for other Subarus.

Let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes. I will have a video posted on how to do it in 10 days. It's very easy to do.
Robert, did you ever post this video?
I've watched a ton of YT videos on how to replace CAF in Subarus... and the Ascent seems slightly different. I was able to remove the glove box... but there are no "clips" that I can see, to push/squeeze to remove the CAF cover. In fact, the cover seems slight bigger or offset from the plastic molding outside of it, so I can't quite open it. I'm hoping that a video of an actual Ascent replacement will help me figure it out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We are close to changing ours also. I haven't had time to check to see if it's similar to our Crosstrek which took less than 10 minutes to change. The dealer quoted me $130 to change both the engine air filter and in cabin one for the Crosstrek. Tried to get me during our oil change. I changed both under 20 minutes. I paid 33.50 total for the Subaru filters.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi all, did the video ever get posted? I can get the glove box out of the way (works just like my Toyota and other cars), but I am having issues getting the panel covering the cabin filter itself removed. This is the first time it will have been replaced in the Ascent. It seems like part of the cover that I would remove is somewhat obstructed at the top, but I don't easily see or feel tabs that are allowing me to easily press and remove the cover like I have experienced with other vehicles, or the videos I see for other Subarus.

Let me know.

Thanks
The square clips at the bottom hold the cover on, pull them out then swing it up and the top will release. This is from memory changing it 3 months ago.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Filter FYI: I've been using STP cabin filters in all my vehicles for several years, they are good quality and cost less than $15 at Auto Zone here in Michigan.

At first, AZ didn't stock Ascent cabin filters so I took a chance with what they had and discovered 2018 Outback filters are the same (and presumably newer ones).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m doing mine for the 2nd time this coming weekend so if you can wait that Iong I’ll post a video. It’s pretty quick and unless you don’t care about money it’s worth saving the $40 at the stealership!
Hey, that would be great if you could post a video! I don't mind waiting as I just ordered the filter and it will take some time to receive. The dealer quoted $60, unreal.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Robert, did you ever post this video?
...I'm hoping that a video of an actual Ascent replacement will help me figure it out.
Hey, that would be great if you could post a video!
I lied. I'm doing my cabin air filter today not this weekend. @Robert.Mauro makes much better videos than me so keep your expectations low here! This is very easy to do though, and if you have any questions or comments I'll be following. Click the youtube link below:

Ascent Cabin Air Filter DIY

·
Registered
127 Posts
I lied. I'm doing my cabin air filter today not this weekend. @Robert.Mauro makes much better videos than me so keep your expectations low here! This is very easy to do though, and if you have any questions or comments I'll be following. Click the youtube link below:

Ascent Cabin Air filter DIY
Awesome, pretty much the same as the Crosstrek except two side clips in addition to the front two. Thanks for the video.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Thanks a ton for doing this. I was trying to open the door from the TOP, not squeeze the clips at the BOTTOM. Makes a lot more sense. I'll be doing mine tomorrow afternoon now. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
617 Posts

Thanks, this should really help those first timers!

One note on the arrow on the filter:
On Subaru filters the arrow indicates the top so should be installed with the arrow pointing up as you did.

On non-Subaru filters the arrow usually indicates the airflow direction, which is top to bottom, so the arrow should point down.

Good job!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts