Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased 2020 touring last week. The day after purchase I started periodically hearing a loud buzzing noise coming from the front dash. It sometimes happens when the car is on and then continues once it’s off. Car has been back at the dealership for the last few days and they can’t reproduce the sound. So frustrating! Any ideas? (including link to video of issue)

Video - Buzzing noise from dash

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
What is the desler's response to the video? I wasn't expecting that constant loud buzz. With the engine off, how long does it last? Does it buzz while driving or only when stopped?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We’ve show the dealer the video of the buzz, but they haven’t been able to reproduce at the shop. They can’t tell what it is from the vid. Buzz happens while driving and when stopped and lasts a couple of minutes after car is off.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
We’ve show the dealer the video of the buzz, but they haven’t been able to reproduce at the shop. They can’t tell what it is from the vid. Buzz happens while driving and when stopped and lasts a couple of minutes after car is off.
If you drive for an hour it would remain buzzing the entire hour?

When it buzzes , what is the hvac status?

With what frequency does it occur for ypu?

Have codes been checked?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buzzing usually stops after a few minutes.

it doesn’t seem to be tied to HVAC status. It’s occurred when HVAC was both on and off.

I’d say it happens about every other time I drive it.

I don’t know if the dealer has checked codes.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
It is POSSIBLY one of the head unit's cooling fans...
Heat up the car to max interior temperature, and then listen to the head unit. The head unit is never ever off on these cars (unless you disconnect the battery cable). It will cycle on its cooling fans when its temps rise when driving. The fans will stay on for a brief period after you shut the car off. When a FOB approaches the car, the head unit transitions from "sleep" mode to "mostly awake and pre-booting" mode, and may or may not cycle on the fan depending on environmental conditions.

It's easiest to hear through the air vents next to the head unit if it's a head unit fan.

If it is the head unit, it could be a bad fan bearing, or something somehow making its way into the fan (bug, debris, dust, something).

·
Registered
55 Posts
The dealer could never hear mine when I took it in. It only happened in winter months and starts at about 2000 rpm but is coming back now. It's coming from the drivers side vent closest to the door. I found that I could reach under the dash and wiggle the vent pipe to make it go away. I plan on using some felt tape that I have left over from my buzzing overhead console to correct it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.