Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that it looks like a few used Ascents are popping up, I’m considering buying a slightly used one. Are there any specific things I should look out for? I’m looking at the Limited and Touring trims, thanks!

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Now that it looks like a few used Ascents are popping up, I’m considering buying a slightly used one. Are there any specific things I should look out for? I’m looking at the Limited and Touring trims, thanks!
Mostly all the service and recall records which should be readily available. Review issues that have popped up for others and see what the experience was for that soecific vehicle. Try to get one with the factory warranty in place and consider the gold plus service contract.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I considered a slightly used Touring but found that there's really not enough price savings to justify used over new, especially with 0% and a $1,000 coupon floating around for new (combined worth a few thousand dollars). Also, with new you may get two years of service depending on your region (worth a few hundred dollars) and possibly some savings on Starlink service. Also you get more warranty. I prefer to buy slightly used but it just didn't make sense in this case. Got our new one on Thursday.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you might be right. The used Ascents are not much cheaper than new, especially given the fact that there should be some good deals due to covid

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,160 Posts
In some cases, especially with vehicles that suffer high depreciation, "slightly used" can make a lot of sense. We found this was not the case for us with the Ascent. Demand was relatively high (at least back in March when we bought ours) and it's only the second model year, so used inventory was not plentiful. We wanted a specific color and model (white Touring) and the free money financing on new models made "slightly used" pretty much a non-starter.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Another reason to pass on a pre-owned Ascent is that the vehicle may have been traded in prematurely for any number of reasons, but not the least of which could be issues with the car. That certainly is not always the case, but most people unload them quickly if they have reoccurring issues.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
In some cases, especially with vehicles that suffer high depreciation, "slightly used" can make a lot of sense. We found this was not the case for us with the Ascent. Demand was relatively high (at least back in March when we bought ours) and it's only the second model year, so used inventory was not plentiful. We wanted a specific color and model (white Touring) and the free money financing on new models made "slightly used" pretty much a non-starter.
Same here. Couldn't justify a very nominal savings on a 2019 cash deal vs new 2020 @ 0%

1 - 7 of 7 Posts