Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know my next vehicle will be an Ascent. I'm debating if I should purchase one now or wait until the next model year? Does anyone have any idea of what upgrades or changes might be coming in next year's models? Do you anticipate any changes in option availability for different models? Right now i'm focused on the touring model but would rather have cloth seats and not a big fan of the sun roof. Looking forward to your input. Thanks

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't think there will be much of a upgrade from 19-20 there may be some changes in the MY 21.

If you waiting for the tech that is in a Touring but want cloth seats you might as well buy now because I would doubt that will ever happen. Subaru saves their better options for the high trims.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
764 Posts
I know my next vehicle will be an Ascent. I'm debating if I should purchase one now or wait until the next model year? Does anyone have any idea of what upgrades or changes might be coming in next year's models? Do you anticipate any changes in option availability for different models? Right now i'm focused on the touring model but would rather have cloth seats and not a big fan of the sun roof. Looking forward to your input. Thanks
I would not be surprised if they made zero changes to the Ascent for both 2019 and 2020. Subaru runs their vehicles in a 5 year cycle. 3 years then a minor refresh, 2 years then full redesign. The Ascent should follow this same game plan but they have made exceptions in the past. The last generation WRX for example when 2008, 09, 10, minor refresh, 11, 12,13, 14, then full redesign. But pretty much everything else has been the same 5 year cycle.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you waiting for the tech that is in a Touring but want cloth seats you might as well buy now because I would doubt that will ever happen. Subaru saves their better options for the high trims.
I don't foresee that you will ever get the clot option without sunroof and get the top level features. I am sure that these will continue to be grouped together.

I however do get the feeling (I have not inside line, just guessing and gut feel) that if production issues and some of the little challenges and software glitches/complaints get worked out, they may offer some different configuration options for the 2020 model. This is a NEW car in one of, if not the most popular automotive segment. In addition, this came out earlier than any other 2019 in their line up, really giving it nearly a year and a half. If things don't smooth out, they may hold to the same configuration list.

Personally, I am with you. I am about 95% sure that the Ascent will be my next car. I am just hoping that some new configuration may come out that I would prefer. I am also hoping that if the Hype and demand drops some, I can score up a better deal than our dealership is currently offering. Keep in mind that a new model year will most likely increase 3-5% and that is if the tariffs are not imposed.

I think right now, the option is to wait to see if you can get what you want, or closer to, in a year when the 2020s roll out or possibly save a little money and get a 2019. For me, I am going to wait, I would rather spend more and get what I want then settle and most likely trade and take a bigger hit then holding onto the car longer since it is what I want.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think right now, the option is to wait to see if you can get what you want, or closer to, in a year when the 2020s roll out or possibly save a little money and get a 2019. For me, I am going to wait, I would rather spend more and get what I want then settle and most likely trade and take a bigger hit then holding onto the car longer since it is what I want.

That is the single reason we went with the touring, I would rather get what I want and not settle than be unhappy, we do have a touring now in our outback for the same reason to get the options we wanted.

I think the demand for these cars will stay high until spring of next year, I don't think it will be like what we have now although I doubt you will see 20 of them at your dealer for a long time.

Reactions: Dandy

·
Registered
70 Posts
I dont think they will change in the next 3 years..

I also dont think offering a lot of customization is a good business for subaru. Production lines are setup on a way that is very cost effective to do "some" changes. Adding way more options will be just a PITA.

I like how subaru handles the pacakges and things. if you look for a chevy traverse and options is just an awful buying experience..too many things to choose and compare.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was going to wait only for the reason if there are issues that need to be fixed. But there can always be issues. I can't imagine adding anything , it seems to have everything...lol. I ordered one now because I didn't want to wait. I waited for Subaru to make this type of vehicle. You have to decide of it has what you want. ?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Demand will be high until the next Outback comes out next year with 2.4 dit option. The new Forester does not seem to be anything special although it could hurt Crosstrek sales a little.

·
Registered
412 Posts
They are handling the issues that have arisen with the Ascent rather well (turbo bolts, welds and other small issues). I for one was skeptical of a a 1st generation from Subaru, but since everything isn't 100% brand new and untested, I am not too worried. I would order now if you really wanted to. If the desire to "wait for something better" comes out, you may be waiting a LONG time.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Demand will be high until the next Outback comes out next year with 2.4 dit option. The new Forester does not seem to be anything special although it could hurt Crosstrek sales a little.

You think the new outback will go turbo with the retiring of the 3.6 ?

If there was a way to keep our outback we have now I would in a heartbeat I really love the car just be kind of silly to have 7 cars .

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You think the new outback will go turbo with the retiring of the 3.6 ?

If there was a way to keep our outback we have now I would in a heartbeat I really love the car just be kind of silly to have 7 cars .
The 2020 Outback will certainly be replacing the 3.6R with the 2.4T currently in the Ascent. The real question is whether any other engine will even be offered in the Outback besides the Turbo.

I will be waiting for Subaru to remove those obnoxious white rectangular blocks from the dash and doors before I make the switch from the Outback, no matter how long it takes.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Outback is one of their bread-and-butter car for Subaru and I would certainly believe that they would provide an option with higher power/tq as they move forward. Since the Ascent is using the 2.5L turbo, it would only make sense that the engineers would consider it as an option over the ancient 3.6L H6. It's highly unlikely that they will make the H6 w/ direct injection for better fuel economy (and a little more power).

Now it would be a dream to get a H6 direct injection w/ turbo, making 400hp+, which is a Porsche 911 territory.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I will be waiting for Subaru to remove those obnoxious white rectangular blocks from the dash and doors before I make the switch from the Outback, no matter how long it takes.

You know, when I first saw them at the auto show, in the Touring trim, I HATED them. I obsessed over finding options to recover them. When we finally got our crystal white, with slate interior, I don't even notice them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Are you guys referring to the slots in the dashboard? I love those things. The first thing I do on a test drive is put my phone/wallet in there and most people are like "Oh, that's so convenient!"

I haven't had any objections yet on them being in ivory; personally I've never really thought it to be an eyesore.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I am surprised no one has mentioned the possibility of the Ascents going up $5800 if the tariffs go through as predicted..That will mean a lot less Ascents on the road...and more Explorers.
That is all conjecture, speculation, and fear mongering! Something will be worked out between the countries before a $5,800 increase via tariffs ever comes to pass.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The 2020 Outback will certainly be replacing the 3.6R with the 2.4T currently in the Ascent. The real question is whether any other engine will even be offered in the Outback besides the Turbo.

the 3.6 is like the 2.5 ej great motors with their flaws but way way over due to be changed out for something better, that is more efficient and has more power.

I would like to see them keep the 2.5 in the outback and legacy and then offer the 2.5t as a upgrade, would be really nice to see another GT legacy in a manual.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Are you guys referring to the slots in the dashboard? I love those things. The first thing I do on a test drive is put my phone/wallet in there and most people are like "Oh, that's so convenient!"

I haven't had any objections yet on them being in ivory; personally I've never really thought it to be an eyesore.

No, not the slots, which are cool, just the ivory. And I have the Limited, so it is the soft surface faux leather or whatever, from what I understand, the trims below have a hard ivory covering.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.