Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my ascent and drive home about 12 miles. Car started with 5 miles when I bought it. When I got home it has a very strong burning smell that is both from the exhaust tail pipes and if I smell by the hood it has it too. I could smell it in the cabin Is this normal new car burning off? The gauge didn’t show overheating. The car drove fine What do you think

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yep that is normal. The exhaust and I believe the other engine metals have chemical coatings from the factory that burn off over the first 500-1000 miles.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
First few times you use the car on a cold morning and turn the heat on, you will smell it as well. There's an electric heater that comes on until the car is warm, which will also burn off the factory coatings.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Factory coatings?? That's BS!
No such thing should happen. I just took mine to a 200mile trip up to the mountains and I noticed particularly when idling that the burned rubber smell was more prominent coming through the vents. Even if this was due to coatings being burned that can't possibly be good for your health, especially my little ones. I'm taking mine in to replace the audio amp and will tell the dealer about this as well. My car is past 5k miles. Any coatings should have been "burned" off by now.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Alas, it's a real thing across all brands that don't do extended burn in

Factory coatings?? That's BS!
No such thing should happen. I just took mine to a 200mile trip up to the mountains and I noticed particularly when idling that the burned rubber smell was more prominent coming through the vents. Even if this was due to coatings being burned that can't possibly be good for your health, especially my little ones. I'm taking mine in to replace the audio amp and will tell the dealer about this as well. My car is past 5k miles. Any coatings should have been "burned" off by now.
And yet every manufacturer suffers this. A simple Google search will show you that. Yes, it's a real thing. For instance, just a few of the thousands of examples I found via Google:

Is it healthy? I have no idea. I wonder if there's ever been a study done. Probably. Alas, my car has burnt off its coatings, and I don't have kids... so, I understand your concern is different.

I guess the alternative is to have the factory rack up miles on the car.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
There's an electric heater that comes on until the car is warm
Robert - I've seen the electric heater mentioned in several posts but I don't see any information about it in the owners manual Climate Control section.

Is there some other place where it's documented? I've always thought it would be cool to have but wasn't sure if it was real or not.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
I *THINK* I can confirm for you

Robert - I've seen the electric heater mentioned in several posts but I don't see any information about it in the owners manual Climate Control section.

Is there some other place where it's documented? I've always thought it would be cool to have but wasn't sure if it was real or not.
Inside of the entire heater core assembly (eg: fans, chambers, flaps, liquid heater cores, etc), is a heater "core" PTC unit. I presume it is an electric heating element, in some ways similar to other electric radiant heat heaters (like what's used in seats, warmed floors, and wire electric heaters, etc).

It is part number 72130XC00A, which does not have a name that adequately designates what it really is. On the parts site, it is simply denoted as "Heater Core". In the service manual, it is more descriptively listed as "Heater ASSY PTC" that has an electrical harness connecting to it as opposed to hoses.

PubNo: G3200BE Version: 003, p134-138
5. Remove the heater assembly PTC.
(1) Disconnect the connector.
(2) Remove the screw and remove the heater assembly PTC.

6. Remove the harness sub assembly.
(1) Disconnect the connector and remove the screw.
(2) Remove the harness clip, and remove the harness sub assembly.
Initial testing for a defective one is with a circuit tester, also indicative of it being an electric heater.

You can find it here, denoted as 72130 (no letters):

You can find the regular coolant "powered" heater cores (for the front - there's others elsewhere in the car) denoted by sub-numbers 72130B and 73523.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Thanks for the info! Funny its not mentioned as a feature anywhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts