Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my new Ascent (touring model) on it's first long road trip. Ride down was fine. Ride back leads me to 2 questions-has anyone had problems with their heated seat "burning" them? I have a bad back so my seat is always on 2 or 3. Ride yesterday was 10 hours and I only made one stop. When I got home I noticed my "butt" hurt/tender to touch-when I looked I had 2 red areas on each side where my backside meets the seat. This morning one side is gone but one side has a fluid filled blister. I was wearing Bermuda shorts so area touching seat was covered. Trying to figure out if it could be from the seat before I call the dealer to ask. Also, this trip was the first time I had car out in a good rain and noticed while driving that I had something dripping on my R foot (gas pedal area) Liquid did not smell like any kind of fluid and was clear-looked like water. No issue when not raining-tried turning up A/C to full to see if it could have been related to that but nothing happened. Again, want to ask before I call dealer. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
Mine has the cloth seats and the heater can get warm but never burning hot. You might be the only one running the seat heater this time of year! Just a question, does the heated seat bottom usually help with back pain?
I would have the dealer check out the water near the driver pedal. It could be a clogged/detached AC drain. They may be able to check the temperature of the seat heater while it’s there.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have not really tried the seat heaters much but i dont remember them burning me. My last GMC pickup had heated seats where you could just turn on the seat back heater and leave the seat bottom heater off. That was great for my aching back. I have wondered if the seat bottom heater can be disconnected on the Ascent and then we would have just the seat back heated. This is just an idea rattling around in the back of my mind. Has anyone tried it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just took my new Ascent (touring model) on it's first long road trip. Ride down was fine. Ride back leads me to 2 questions-has anyone had problems with their heated seat "burning" them? I have a bad back so my seat is always on 2 or 3. Ride yesterday was 10 hours and I only made one stop. When I got home I noticed my "butt" hurt/tender to touch-when I looked I had 2 red areas on each side where my backside meets the seat. This morning one side is gone but one side has a fluid filled blister. I was wearing Bermuda shorts so area touching seat was covered. Trying to figure out if it could be from the seat before I call the dealer to ask. Also, this trip was the first time I had car out in a good rain and noticed while driving that I had something dripping on my R foot (gas pedal area) Liquid did not smell like any kind of fluid and was clear-looked like water. No issue when not raining-tried turning up A/C to full to see if it could have been related to that but nothing happened. Again, want to ask before I call dealer. Thanks
I would definitely take it to the dealer. I have the opposite problem! The seats do not get hot enough. Mine are lukewarm at best. They just replaced the switch and it is still lukewarm. Same goes for my steering wheel. I was also told that the seats "cycle." Meaning they get warm then cool down for awhile. Don't know if that is true. Overall, the Ascent definitely has problems with their heated seats & steering wheel. Don't hesitate to report it to your dealer and to Subaru of America.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Definitely have that looked at ( the seats, that is).

On mine, it takes a while for the seats to heat up, but they do get pretty warm, so after maybe 40 minutes I will realize how toasty my backside is.. Maybe try keeping them on med or low on your next trip.

Also, the seats on my touring are pretty firm, maybe that by itself (separate from the heat), could be a factor. I find them great for about an hour and a half, after that I feel it bothering me.

You might need/want to get a thin cushion for your derriere on your next road trip. And try adjusting the thigh extension, that helps for me.

Hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
814 Posts
Last winter, I used the heated seats for pretty much the entire trip to California and back, probably 6,000 of the 8,000 miles we drove on that trip. I was scheduled for spine surgery upon our return to Michigan and I was in constant pain.

I found the heated seats in our Limited, both front and second row, to be very helpful with my back pain. I usually started out on High then dropped down to Medium. There was plenty of heat but I doubt enough to cause a burn, especially through clothing unless someone has very sensitive skin.

At first, I thought the heaters were weak compared to our other cars but with use they got a lot warmer.

I have no complaints about the steering wheel heater, it feels pretty good on my arthritic hands although I wish the entire wheel was heated. I understand why Subaru choose to do this with their focus on safety.

It can't hurt to ask your service department to take a look.

Reactions: ctpreviti

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
814 Posts
Question cuz I hadn’t even thought about it till now: Do the touring/limiteds have heated seat bottoms AND backs?
Yes, front and second row are heated on the bottom and the backs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's not a burn from the heat You would have felt that while it was happening. It is what is euphemistically referred to as a 'bed sore', or pressure sore or shear wound. You gotta get up and move around more often than every five hours. A little sliding in the seat or too much concentrated contact over several hours will cause the tissue to break down.
If it doesn't clear up quickly, see a doctor or wound care center.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would definitely take it to the dealer. I have the opposite problem! The seats do not get hot enough. Mine are lukewarm at best. They just replaced the switch and it is still lukewarm. Same goes for my steering wheel. I was also told that the seats "cycle." Meaning they get warm then cool down for awhile. Don't know if that is true. Overall, the Ascent definitely has problems with their heated seats & steering wheel. Don't hesitate to report it to your dealer and to Subaru of America.
I feel the same way about the seat warmers. The Ascent seat warmer is not as warm as the Forester's were.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The front seat heaters on my Touring can get quite hot. I do use them to soothe my back, so they are on a lot. "3" is hotter than I can take depending on what I'm wearing and the starting cabin temp, so I use 2 or 1. Or maybe 3 to get it going, but if I leave it on for more than a few minutes, I will be saying Ouch Ouch and yes it will probably leave a mark if I don't turn it down.

But I think that's my problem to use it well, not Subaru's problem to limit the heat. I prefer a seat that can get hotter than my skin can stand, just like I prefer a seat that can slide forward farther than my knees can take. If Subaru made the seat so that no one could ever crush their knees, they'd be leaving me with several inches of un-adjustability, and I'd be pissed. I will slide the seat so that I don't hurt my knees, and I will adjust seat heat so I don't burn my butt or back. If it can burn me on a hot day, then maybe there's plenty of heat capability when I'm in the mountains in sub-zero at the first start of the day.

IMO.

F.S.

·
Administrator
11,121 Posts
I find that change in my back pockets, or metal buttons on the back pockets, or rivets on the seats of my pants heat up a lot when the seat heaters are on, and those do get hot enough to burn.

The solution is to turn off the seat heater before it gets uncomfortable, or wear clothing without metal fasteners and with no change/keys/metal/heat conductors in one's back pocket(s).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts