Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much to my chagrin, I have managed to rub the lower plastic trim of the front bumper on a terra-cotta planter in the garage which left a white-ish scuff mark. My first inclination is to try a Mr. Clean eraser to remove the scuff. But, before I try , I thought I'd check here and see if there is a recommended way to remove scuffs from that trim. It appears to be made of hard plastic, so I'm not even sure it's possible to get scuffs out.

All ideas welcomed!

-Scott

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Are you speaking of the unpainted portion? The dark colored plastic once scratched is basically scratched for good. I’ve found magic erasers to be fairly abrasive so they may actually make it worse. I use griots clear coat sealant on my car with decent/easy results. I don’t apply it directly to the plastic trim but use the micro fiber cloth after wiping it off the paint on the trim to make it look nice.
If your scuff is on the painted portion you may be able to get it polished out if it hasn’t gone all the way thru the paint.

Picutres?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback on not using the magic eraser. Unfortunately, the scuff is on the unpainted plastic trim at the bottom of the bumper that wraps around the side to the wheel well. I'll try to post a picture later this evening.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The unpainted surfaces are difficult to repair. The raised textures on the Ascent makes it even harder since any sanding will make them flat with the plastic looking shiny afterwards. I've seen Youtube videos where a heat gun is used to restore scratches by leveling (essentially melting) and that also leaves a shiny spot. My best thought is to see if you can dyed them back to originally color (if possible) to hide them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2020 was delivered to me with scratches on that plastic part. The dealer could not buff it out due to the pattern. The manager told me he has complained a number of times because of this plastic. Since it was a brand new vehicle, they went ahead and replaced the whole bumper. Kind of extreme, but that's what they wanted to do. I felt bad but on the other hand, I want to be the one who makes any marks/scratches/dents on the ascent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For scuff, like the ones that catch your nail if you go across them, can not be fixed. You will need a new part. There is no way to repair it. For surface scuffs. The kind that don't catch the nail. Usually a trim conditioner or a product for trim parts will clean it up. Without damaging it. Wife hit a bucket on the freeway once and scuffed the passenger lower trim. I had to replace it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If there was a transferred of material onto your car, then you can use a polisher w/ textile pad like wool or microfiber, wool being more aggressive, to buff it out. Tape/mask the surrounding panels first.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Much to my chagrin, I have managed to rub the lower plastic trim of the front bumper on a terra-cotta planter in the garage which left a white-ish scuff mark. My first inclination is to try a Mr. Clean eraser to remove the scuff. But, before I try , I thought I'd check here and see if there is a recommended way to remove scuffs from that trim. It appears to be made of hard plastic, so I'm not even sure it's possible to get scuffs out.

All ideas welcomed!

-Scott
I have the same marks on the inside of the rear lift gate. Items I store in the back sometimes slide against the rear panel and scuff it up. No deep sratches but I do see the white-ish marks that I am working on cleaning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.