Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With only 350 miles on the Ascent, I touched the stucco side wall around the garage door and scuffed and chipped the very corner of the right front bumper. Serves me right for not waiting for the front camera to paint the screen.

I could probably fix it myself but really want it to be undetectable. There's an inch long chip (no gouge at all just missing paint) and about 3" x 6" of scuffed clear coat.

There are shops and mobile services that specialize in this type of repair. I am going to get some estimates and will go that route if it's reasonable cost and the work is high quality.

Has anyone used one of these services?
They mostly seem to be national franchises so any to recommend or stay away from?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've gotten quotes from a local body shop and also a franchised mobile repair outfit called Car Body Lab (carbodylab.com). They were in a reasonable ballpark cost. They haven't answered all of my questions yet regarding their materials and process.

Has anyone used this service and how did the work turn out?

The body shop wanted to remove all of the trim and bumper. I always hate removing anything needlessly fearing it will never be aligned or as tight as original. The mobile repair will mask and blend.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Subaru bumpers come off and go back on very easily. I wouldn't be worried about that. As to the work involved in fixing the scratches, I can't help you with that. That's not an area I have any real experience with (or patience for).

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Subaru bumpers come off and go back on very easily. I wouldn't be worried about that. As to the work involved in fixing the scratches, I can't help you with that. That's not an area I have any real experience with (or patience for).
Unfortunately, they didn't just want to remove the bumper, they wanted to charge for disassembly and reassembly. They had an hourly rate for removing the fog light from the trim, removing the fog light surrounds, removing the wheel housing trim, removing the mud guard and on and on. The other shops were just quoting masking, draping, prepping, painting, clear coating and blending. White is the most forgiving color to match so I'm less worried about a blend than a body shop worker accidentally damaging something that didn't really need to be removed.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Unfortunately, they didn't just want to remove the bumper, they wanted to charge for disassembly and reassembly. They had an hourly rate for removing the fog light from the trim, removing the fog light surrounds, removing the wheel housing trim, removing the mud guard and on and on. The other shops were just quoting masking, draping, prepping, painting, clear coating and blending. White is the most forgiving color to match so I'm less worried about a blend than a body shop worker accidentally damaging something that didn't really need to be removed.
Wow, those take under ten minutes.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, those take under ten minutes.
2 hours labor for disassembly, 2 hours labor reassembly, 4 hours labor for smoothing and painting.

I asked them if they were really sure that that's how they want to go. :rolleyes:

Claim they want to paint the whole bumper is their paint booth. :LOL:

Might be true, but unneeded for a 1" chip and some light clear coat scuffing.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
Do keep in mind that the "white" isn't really "white"...it's a "sparkly pearly thing" so it is a little more challenging to mask and blend. I'm not suggesting you need the full body shop treatment at high cost; just saying that it's not as simple of a fix than something with a non-metallic/non-pearl finish would be.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do keep in mind that the "white" isn't really "white"...it's a "sparkly pearly thing" so it is a little more challenging to mask and blend. I'm not suggesting you need the full body shop treatment at high cost; just saying that it's not as simple of a fix than something with a non-metallic/non-pearl finish would be.
I've asked for clarification of their 100% color match guarantee. Specifically, will they be matching the base color + the metallic tone and intensity + sheen.

I have a pretty critical eye having worked in a body shop way back and painting cars with single stage enamel. Talk about unforgiving! One chance to get it right unless we had signoff from the owner that they were getting a make-it-all-one-color job.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
36 Posts
Bumping up an old thread. I had the pleasure of having a child close the garage door and it scuffed the front bumper. Took a decent sized chip out of the paint, as well. I'm now exploring fixing via a body shop, or simply replacing the front bumper. Did you explore this route @Titanrx8 ?? What was the outcome of the work you did?

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@whatdude17
Body shops were all 3 x or more expensive. The body shops wanted to remove and reshoot the bumper cover. I could have bought a new bumper cover and had it shot for less than the body shops. Of course that would mean I take it off and back on myself but that wasn't an issue. The touch up was great. Undetectable, if anything too good because the factory paint has orange peel and the touch-up is buffed mirror smooth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts