Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you in Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado who are wondering why the great reduction in the bug population, I have them. They are all over the front end and windshield on my Ascent.

I did get them off, mostly, this morning. What I was not able to do was get them off the radiator. It is very hard to access and that is essentially only thru the lower part of the grill. Any suggestions on how to get them off? I could get my power washer wand in the slots somewhat but I'm afraid that would only push them further into the fins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am currently having a screen fabbed up at a local glass/window shop to slide in front of the rad behind the grille. Found some beefier screen that should be able to absorb small rocks. Also trying to fab screens for the bug vacuum (aka intercooler air intakes). Will post pictures when complete.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had some fiberglass window screening that I slipped in just in front of the radiator.
I removed the black plastic part just behind the top of the chrome grill. It's held in with a bunch of snap fasteners.
It would be better to remove more of the front to get that piece out but with a little carefully applied force it will come out.
I removed the two top brackets that hold the top of the radiator and pushed it back just a bit to tuck the screen in on each side and lifted the radiator just enough to tuck it in on the bottom.
The screen was left long on top. I folded it over towards the front then put the black plastic part back with the screen going in front of that piece. That covered all the intakes for the intercooler.
I just pushed the fasteners through the screen.
Seems to work but time will tell. Only put 40 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any pictures or the video for the process of adding the windows screening ? I was planning to take off the grill, but looks like i need to take the whole bumper out. I live very close to Colorado mostly remote area and most of the trucks and SUVs have them. Wondering if I should install these.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.