Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a 500 mile round trip to St. Louis and back (wife and I still absolutely love the car (about 3000 miles in)), and the bumper and mirrors are caked with bug carcasses. I want the bugs gone while being extra nice to the paint job. I have heard of using dryer sheets, WD-40, etc to get the bugs off. What have you guys on the forums found to be the best for bug removal while also not hazardous to the paint job? Crystal white pearl if that matters. Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Automotive bug and tar remover from most stores is safest bet rather than getting too cute.

Bug and tar remover softens the residue then allowing removal with water and microfiber (or car wash pressures) without the hard rubbing that can haze the paint.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used to live in the upper Midwest, where we had lots of bugs. I used to rinse the effected areas and cover them with a wet towel for 20 minutes or so, that helps loosen them up, then rinse again and then wash and dry.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Down here in Central Florida, we are in the "love bug" season and they are THE worst bugs. The acid in their bodies will eat your paint if not removed within a couple of days. When the pair of loving(effing) bugs splat their effing bodies on your windshield, your wipers and washer fluid are no match. Best to just run home and scrub them off with soap and water. You'll work up a good sweat doing that because they don't easily just wipe away.

I tried the wet dryer sheet method, but all it did was leave a filmy residue that I had to use something else to clean it off. Essentially I was cleaning the same area twice. Now I use Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover (spray) and it seems to work well for me. It's a little thick and doesn't run off the car as soon as you spray it on. Let it sit for a minute, then wipe away, though with love bugs, you might need a little elbow grease too depending on how long they were there. Good luck with your bugs!

Reactions: Luis Padilla

·
Registered
869 Posts
My CWP after a trip from central Fl to Miami and back.These lovebugs are no joke,visibility was so bad I had to pull over and clean the windshield.For the windshield I use a metal scraper to loosen and wipe with Windex.As for the front bumper I set the nozzle on the sprayer to JET so to loosen any that would come off and then with a mitt with car wash soap(unconcentrated,no water added)then go add it with some elbow grease.

I use a spray on wax afterwards,don’t know if it help but it can’t hurt either.Let May be over but they’ll be back in September to start the battle all over again.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought some Jax Wax BugZapper from Amazon. We don't have love bugs but still have plenty of other species willing to step in. I tried the Jax Wax for the first time last week on a month's worth of dried, encrusted bug guts. It is sprayed on to a dry vehicle, sets for one minute, then rinse. I used my 2000 psi electric power washer and was impressed with the results. Most of the bug residuals came off with no scrubbing. There were a few that didn't come completely clean but a little scrubbing with a sponge took care of it.

The real test will come after a trip with our fifth wheel. The high front end is a bug magnet. I've used Bug-B-Gone, also from Amazon, on it for the past several years with mediocre results.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I feel your pain. Weekly hand washings on the weekends, with daily spot checks to the front with Chemical Guys Super Cleaner and a cloth. Windows? Nothing less than the bug scrubber side of a wash sponge along with soapy water. I can't help but roll my eyes whenever I see some fool try to clean their windshield with the wipers...all that does is make it infinitely worse. I'd much rather look through the love bug splats than through the smeared love bug guts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts