Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure it's a bug in the latest update to iOS.

The same thing has happened the last week on both my cars equipped with CarPlay - the Ascent and my Ford Fusion Platinum.

After connecting my iPhone and starting the car, CarPlay does not come up. On the Ascent the CarPlay icon from the Home screen does not appear. Unplugging and reconnecting the iPhone doesn't solve the problem.

The only solution I have found is to unlock my iPhone. Voila! CarPlay comes up.

However, I had already selected under Settings>General>CarPlay>Subaru>Allow Carplay While Locked. I did that the day we picked up our Ascent.

If you try this, please do not so while in motion. I say this knowing Subaru drivers are some of the best on the road. Please do not be offended.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Subiesailor is correct. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature. Seriously. To prevent someone from taking your locked iPhone and connecting its lightning port up to a hacking device that can extract your data (thereby bypassing the security of your phone), Apple changed the software so you need to unlock your phone in order for the lightning port to send data.

The phone only needs to have been unlocked once in the last hour in order for it to work, and if that is the case it can remain locked while connected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts