Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a chance to pick up our new Touring. It's been ready for a couple weeks, but we bought from a dealer almost 2 hours away and we finally got the time to do it.

In addition to the normal Touring bits, it had auto-dimming exterior mirrors, rear bumper cover, cargo tray, rear seat back protector, all weather floor liners, cross bars, cargo net, splash guards, towing kit, and LED upgraded map and dome lights. After taxes and tags and such, we ended up at $44,409.

Some initial observations from about 4 hours of use:

BAD:

1) The LED map lights are terrible. They have a diffuser that scatters WAY too much light directly into your eye. Even the passenger side one hurts my eyes in the driver seat. I've never had a car this expensive with map lights that didn't focus away from your eyes. The color is also too hot. The Touring has this nice accent lighting that is a different color temp, and the whole interior is brown on brown, so the hot LED lights are just mismatched. Also, the lights don't fade, which is not horrible, but considering how dangerous these things are at night, it would be nice if you weren't instantly blinded.

2) The sticker on the bottom of the driver's side interior door panel is tacky. Literally and figuratively.

3) Tire pressure is listed in kPa, despite everything else being set to imperial units. Would prefer that in PSI.

4) I have a Honda Pilot with push button shifting. I'm used to the car setting itself into park when you kill the engine. The Ascent beeps if I do this, but despite having 4 color LCD screens, no clear warning is given as to why the beeping is happening. Yeah, I know, it's a habit carried over from my other car, but some messaging for beeps would be nice.

5) Steering is... uncertain? It just feels loose. The suspension feels great on fast tight curves, but the steering doesn't match the feel. I found myself slowing down through the curves simply because I didn't trust the steering feel. Maybe I'll get used to it, but it's unlike anything I've ever driven before.

6) The mismatch on the chrome exterior trim, the fog light, windows, and mirrors trim, looks cheap. The mirrors look the best, so ideally, the rest would match, but they don't. It's just a strange styling cue that makes the Touring look cheap.

7) The front camera is nice, but I would still prefer forward distance sensors. The camera isn't always active when I need it, and even if it was, would require me to look at it.

8) Wish the towing receiver came with something to keep it secure in the rear cubby. It's so heavy that it slides around a bunch. There's plenty of room, just need somewhere to run a bolt through to hold it.

9) Crossbar storage would be nice.

10) Fuel cap? On a $45K '19 car?

11) Why are the Eyesight driver assistance toggles spread out so much? Put them all on the overhead console or all on the lower left button cluster. Makes no sense.

GOOD:

1) The feedback for the LKAS is great. It's subtle and unobtrusive and easy to fight.

2) The subwoofer is actually decent. Wasn't anything I was concerned about, but I don't mind losing a bit of storage space for it now.

3) The headlights are fantastic. Best I've ever used.

4) Kids love the USB and WiFi. Basically offsets the lack of a Blu-ray player.

5) 3rd row access is good, either by moving the second row or crossing between them.

6) The "HUD" is nice, actually. I thought it was cheap looking initially, but I'm appreciating it's simplicity now.

7) The interior accent lighting is slick. So good that it makes the LED ceiling lights look worse.

8) Engine compartment looks spacious. That flat 4 cylinder leaves a lot of room for everything. I don't miss the power compared to my Pilot or T&C. All feel very competent, but only the Subaru does it with such a small engine.

9) The handle on the rear hatch is great. No touching the dirty exterior or leaving finger prints.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I couldn't find a setting for that. I haven't read the owners manual yet though.
You'll be spending a lot of time in it. I have spent more time reading this owner's manual than I did with every other new car I've owned over the past 30 years, combined.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I couldn't find a setting for that. I haven't read the owners manual yet though.
You'll be spending a lot of time in it. I have spent more time reading this owner's manual than I did with every other new car I've owned over the past 30 years, combined.
Definitely, and I recommend downloading it to computer/tablet/phone to more easily search it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Fuel cap? How common is The cap less fuel tank on new cars today ? I have done a bit of business traveling in the last couple years and only one vehicle I have ever rented had a cap less fuel tank and coincidentally it was a couple weeks ago on a new Ford Edge.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A lot of thoughts in here that I agree with. I’m glad I skipped the LED’s as they are 5000K brightness when they should be a warm 2700k like the trim lighting.

The steering needs to firm up at higher speeds. It’s way too sensitive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.