Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to pick up my car from a dealer about 60 miles away. On the way back I will face some hilly sections of freeway. What precautions should I take with the new car to ensure I dont cause any damage during break in period? Or is it better to come via back roads (that is most likely more hilly and much longer, but will allow for slower speeds).
Thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
The hills aren’t necessarily a bad thing since it’s good to vary your engine rpm and speed. When you go uphill pay attention to your rpm so you don’t rev above 4K to maintain speed. 4K is actually pretty high for this vehicle and I never get that high unless I’m under hard acceleration. You might have to be more aware of stopping distance also so you don’t have to get on the brakes hard while going downhill. I attached a screenshot below of the break-in section of the manual.
Text Font

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
^^^ yeah. Speed basically doesn't matter. RPM and varying it is what does. I found that I could pretty much drive normally and not exceed 4000 rpm. Also, with the way this CVT works, you'd have to really work at trying to keep RPM constant. Using cruise control on a straight flat road would be one way and would be good to avoid as a consequence.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts