Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning a round trip of around 600 miles in 1 week with our Touring model. Currently we have 340 miles on the odometer. The manual says I should vary my speed if driving a longer distance. Does anyone have insight as to what that really means or should I worry about it at all? Or does anyone have more tips as to how to handle the care before I hit 1K? Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
A friend manages a performance car repair operation. His instructions:

1) always warm up engine before driving during first 3000 miles by revving lightly up to 3000 rpm then back to idle;

2) don’t let engine go above 3000 RPM first 3000 miles.

3) If long trip is a “must” first 3000 miles, watch your rear view and take the speed down to 45 mph +/- periodically if safe, then back up to speed limit, then vary with speed limit less 5-10
mph

4) try for 50/50 in town vs. highway first 3000 miles. Rings in a new engine need to seat correctly. Correct seating occurs if engine RPM varies.

5) When on road trip even varying between 60, 65, 70 mph will be a good thing to do.

6) Last note: dealer told me they recommend not using Cruise control for first 3000 miles. That way you are more likely to vary speed/rpm. Made total sense to me given instructions from my friend (he works with exotic sports cars).

·
Registered
219 Posts
I always just drive it like I stole it!... but just follow the manual which has 4 simple points and says break in period is 1,000 miles. Just vary speed once in awhile on highway without cruise and you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I did a 700 mile road trip when I first got my Ascent. I set the cruise to 55 then would bump it to 60, then down to 55 again off and on every 10 mins or so. Also kept RPMs under 2500.

Averaged 30mpg that trip. By the time I got home it was broken in and the turbo smiles made my mpg drop to 22-24! :D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice!! Will vary RPMs and slow/fast. Going to set my phone timer to 20 minutes so I vary "periodically".
In the for what it's worth department, just use the adaptive cruise control and you're probably going to be fine. I've had customers buy a new Subaru on Friday and leave on the road trip on Saturday before and need an oil change before they ever made it home - more than 6,000 miles in one month.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
In the for what it's worth department, just use the adaptive cruise control and you're probably going to be fine. I've had customers buy a new Subaru on Friday and leave on the road trip on Saturday before and need an oil change before they ever made it home - more than 6,000 miles in one month.
They probably needed butt massages, too... :D Geepers....6K miles in a month!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts