Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought our factory built 2020 Limited Ascent today using the VIP -2% off invoice trick. They said it was their 1st 2020 sold at the dealership.

We'll have approximately 120 miles of proper break in before the trip.

Other than keeping under 4k RPM and avoiding hard acceleration/breaking, what's the best way to drive our Ascent during our 630 trip in 4 days? We'll be coming back a week later, putting on another 630 miles. As such, a significant portion of the 1000 mile break in period will be at highway speeds. The 1st 315ish miles will be in various hilly areas, and 315ish miles will be pretty flat. And vice versa for the trip home.

The best plan I've come up with is to vary the cruise control every 5-10 minutes by 5 mph. e.g. 5-10 min @ 55mph, 5-10 min @ 60mph, 5-10 min @ 65mph, 5-10 min @ 70mph, 5-10 min at 75mph, etc.

Do I even need to worry about this as we're good on the other 3 areas? e.g. engine tolerances better, better lubrication, etc.
Could I increase the 5-10min interval to 30-60min to make this more practical?

Thank you

·
Registered
205 Posts
I’ve never followed a lot of the rules you read about break in and haven’t had any oil burn issues. I am nice to it though for the first bit of miles. It was closer to 2k on my 20 ascent before I really gave it a bit of gas beyond maybe 3500. I look at it as regular driving should be fine as it gives some fluctuations in rpm. You also mention hills and this will also cause the trans to fake downshift on occasion also changing the rpm.

Main thing is don’t pound on the engine for power. It was after 2k miles when mine started giving some better mpg as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,457 Posts
Sounds like you’ve got a pretty good plan per the break in instructions in the manual.
We could debate the effects of following or not following the manual all day, but in the end it’s just safer to be more conservative if you can.
The hills should be a good thing since they’ll cause the rpm to vary some. You shouldn’t have to worry about going over 4K unless you’re in a real hurry.
I wouldn’t use the manual shifting mode since that’ll lock it into a specific ratio and won’t vary rpm as much.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I would say vary the RPM and load, don't go over 4-5,000rpm and don't be afraid to goose it once in awhile. Used engine breaking a handful of times with the paddle shifters. I also used the paddle shifter to raise the RPM a bit while running in town...don't want to lug a new engine for sure.

No oil burn on 3 subies with this break-in procedure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm confident I'm stressing too much about this, but I thought I'd ask. I plan on keeping this vehicle for at least 10-15 years, so I want it to last.

I might just get behind an 18 wheeler with the adaptive cruise on. That should very the RPMs greatly in the hills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.