Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just purchased an Ascent Limited last weekend and was super excited about it until I started driving around town and am only getting 13 mpg! I've looked around these forums and most people seem to get 17-20 mpg in the city. I'm not even sitting in stop and go traffic, just short trips on neighborhood streets. I'm driving really conservatively -- not accelerating too quickly and coasting where I can. The car also feels like it drives a little different than the one I test drove and the engine is making noises like I'm not in the right gear. I keep checking to make sure I'm in Drive rather than one of the lower gears with everything going on. Did I get a lemon? Thanks!

·
Registered
897 Posts
FWIW I normaly average a tad over 20. I just got back from skiing and got 24. If I stay around my neigborhood, I can be at 13-15. So, what you're experiencing is within the realm or normal. This is a heavy vehicle that makes 100% of its torque at 2k RPM. It sucks gas when accelerating even at a normal pace.

I can't speak about you engine noises. Have you gotten any open recalls taken care of? A lemon has a very specific definition depending on your state of residence.

Some reading:

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,283 Posts
just short trips
That right there is why, unfortunately. Short trips are the lease fuel conserving driving you can do with any vehicle. While there are clearly some Ascents that get unnaturally lower fuel economy (just like any other brand), it's not likely that the "lemon" designation would apply from a legal standpoint. As the previous poster mentioned, actual lemon laws are state specific have some pretty exact requirements, too.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
235 Posts
also your vehicle is brand new and not broken in yet.. they do tend to burn more fuel when brand new so this isn't helping any either.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I started out in the same situation, and it improved to the upper 18s around 5k miles, but lately dropped to back into the mid-16's overall ( at this point I am probably at about 55/45 City/highway driving), although I did just get about 26.5mpg on a round-trip in hilly northern New England, all highway and 50 mph two lane roads.
Personally, I think the Ascent is really sensitive to the topography of where you live (hills versus flat), and the amount of stop and go driving you do. Overall, my other cars get rated mileage for the most part, the ascent never came close in town driving, and only rarely does on the highway. It's just the way it is with the kind of driving I do, even though I'm easy on the throttle. The long-term forum members know, the reason I'm so frustrated by this is that my twin turbo V8 gls450 got better overall mileage than my Ascent does, and I drove that with a pretty heavy right foot.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Any large vehicle (or any vehicle for that matter) the biggest use of gas is getting up to speed. The reason hybrids are so much more efficient is they use the electric motors to do (most of) that work, then recharge the battery while cruising at steady speed which is much more efficient.

Softer use of the gas pedal will help a lot. Staying under 2,500 rpms will help a ton too. But in stop and go, you're going to suffer.

When I lived 25 miles from work and drove mostly highway, I was averaging 24mpg. Now I'm only 10 miles from work and do mostly city/stop and go and I get 19mpg. Same car, same driving style. People with heavy traffic suffer even more.

Reactions: Big Superroo1

·
Registered
851 Posts
Short trips on neighborhood streets means the car does not have time to warm up and it holds “gears” longer to warm up the engine. This in turn kills gas mileage.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yep. Short trips on neighborhood streets are the worst. Cold engines need a richer mixture and have more drag. It'll improve a little as it breaks in, too. I get ~18 mpg on mixed suburban driving and mid to upper 20s on the open roads.

What did you drive before and what kind of mileage were you getting?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All, thanks for the replies. I took the car on a trip about an hour or so away over the weekend with mostly highway driving. The mileage was much better (and was as advertised on the highway). I live in a really hilly neighborhood and I think that's what's killing it locally. I've been trying not to accelerate as much and keep under 2500 rpm (but hard on some of the bigger hills), but it's still bad. If I had known this car would be so bad on hills I'm not sure I would have purchased it. However my husband is very tall, as are my kids, and it was really one of the only cars that fit us all comfortably so there weren't a lot of options out there (at our price point). We also have a Prius V that fits us all comfortably, but the hatch is too small for really long trips and we wanted something that felt a little more sturdy on the highway. The Ascent replaced an old Volvo XC60, which had no room in the backseat and we all couldn't fit in it any longer. The gas mileage on that wasn't great either, but wasn't as bad as the Ascent (even at 9 years old!). I wish Subaru would have been a little more up front on the real gas mileage. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Subaru's fuel mileage representation was in fact accurate. A buyer considering a purchase only needs to understand what those mileage stats were based upon for all manufacturers. Did you actually think that Subaru based its fuel consumption test on driving in the city on hills? Secondly, as I drove this morning for my one hour / one way commute and looked at my instantaneous mileage, I am well aware that I can significantly impact my mileage based upon how I drive (it is more than about acceleration). I spent about $40,000 on this vehicle. Based on fuel costs in Colorado and a high estimate of getting 5mpg less than what some expected to achieve (I actually get the advertised mpg), my extra costs per week of driving would be about $10. From my owner's perspective, if I cared a lot about the $10/week then I would adjust my driving habits to achieve better mileage. Since I do not care that much, I drive the vehicle so it is safe and enjoyable and I spend whatever the fuel costs. If I could not afford the extra $520 / year than I should never have purchased a $40,000 vehicle of that size. You upgraded to a larger heavier vehicle than your Volvo let alone the Prius curb wieght, yet seem to expect the same mileage performance as the Prius. In my opinion, those expectations are simply unreasonable to have and maintain.

My suggestion is to tape over the mpg indicator and enjoy your ride which is by all other accounts providing a safe, comfortable ride for your growing family needs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Subaru's fuel mileage representation was in fact accurate. A buyer considering a purchase only needs to understand what those mileage stats were based upon for all manufacturers. Did you actually think that Subaru based its fuel consumption test on driving in the city on hills? Secondly, as I drove this morning for my one hour / one way commute and looked at my instantaneous mileage, I am well aware that I can significantly impact my mileage based upon how I drive (it is more than about acceleration). I spent about $40,000 on this vehicle. Based on fuel costs in Colorado and a high estimate of getting 5mpg less than what some expected to achieve (I actually get the advertised mpg), my extra costs per week of driving would be about $10. From my owner's perspective, if I cared a lot about the $10/week then I would adjust my driving habits to achieve better mileage. Since I do not care that much, I drive the vehicle so it is safe and enjoyable and I spend whatever the fuel costs. If I could not afford the extra $520 / year than I should never have purchased a $40,000 vehicle of that size. You upgraded to a larger heavier vehicle than your Volvo let alone the Prius curb wieght, yet seem to expect the same mileage performance as the Prius. In my opinion, those expectations are simply unreasonable to have and maintain.

My suggestion is to tape over the mpg indicator and enjoy your ride which is by all other accounts providing a safe, comfortable ride for your growing family needs.
I certainly don't expect to get the 34 mpg that I get with my Prius, but I do expect to come close to the 19 mpg "city" that is advertised for this vehicle. Maybe Subaru should consider an asterisk "19 mpg city*" (*only on flat terrain)!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I certainly don't expect to get the 34 mpg that I get with my Prius, but I do expect to come close to the 19 mpg "city" that is advertised for this vehicle. Maybe Subaru should consider an asterisk "19 mpg city*" (*only on flat terrain)!
Your concerns should be rightly placed in big government who literally mandate all of the testing and labeling protocols. Subaru has nothing to do with your concerns.

"Therefore, the EPA ratings are a useful tool for comparing the fuel economies of different vehicles but may not accurately predict the average MPG you will get. "

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,283 Posts
Packout's post is spot on. The ratings are purely for comparison of vehicles and do not represent what one might obtain in all driving situations. Your definition of "city" is likely very different than the EPA's definition of "city" relative to the testing. I do get 20-21 in general rural driving, but my "short trips" are generally at least 12 miles round trip with a good portion of it at 45-50 mph plus a few town streets with stop lights. No way would I get that in urban driving.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Oh and if it's hilly, then you'll definitely suffer more.... IN ANY CAR.

Buy any large SUV and you're going to be in the teens for mpg in city driving and hilly driving.

When we rented a GMC Yukon Denali we were getting 13-15mpg on flat terrain around town (but not stop and go). It was rated 14 city and 21 highway. If it was hilly or heavy traffic, that would have gone down too.

Toyota Highlander 21/29
Honda Pilot 19/27
Subaru Ascent 19/27
Maza CX-9 22/28
Ford Explorer 19/27

They're all going to be about the same.... it's the size of the vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After 8 years of owning an Explorer, 20 years of Ford, I was ready for a change. We drove every SUV out there and nothing was comfortable or roomy enough. We finally tried the Ascent and loved it.

BUT, since getting it, I've had similar issues and it's been a constant disappointment. They told me the engine would break in between 2-4k miles. It didn't. My engine makes a noise like it never idles down or "warmed up." The last tune they actually fixed the issue, it finally stopped doing it, so I know it isn't supposed to idle so high and loud. It's so loud it's embarrassing. I can't go under 30 mph or it doesn't shift correctly. School zones are a nightmare. It's as if there's a bungee cord tied to my bumper and when I take my foot off the gas it starts pulling me back. My odometer drops immediately. It's really frustrating on a new vehicle and after owning it 1 year TODAY, I'm ready to cut my losses and trade it in.

I'm going to take it in one more time. The first time I took it in, they didn't know what was wrong and said it needed to break in. The second time, they had to make up a code to fix it. It didn't do much. I took it again the week the recalls came out for other cars (they hadn't even posted yet) so they did that "fix." Then, whaddyaknow, ot came out for the Ascent a few weeks later. It did work better for a few weeks and slowly slipped back into the old ways. Now it's worse than ever. I'm trying to be patient, but I'm tired of dreading driving my new car. If they don't fix it this time, I'm done with Subaru.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is really not that surprising as respects the low MPG statistics....you have a little mouse (granted this is a mouse on steroids/turbo) trying to pull a large elephant.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
After 8 years of owning an Explorer, 20 years of Ford, I was ready for a change. We drove every SUV out there and nothing was comfortable or roomy enough. We finally tried the Ascent and loved it.

BUT, since getting it, I've had similar issues and it's been a constant disappointment. They told me the engine would break in between 2-4k miles. It didn't. My engine makes a noise like it never idles down or "warmed up." The last tune they actually fixed the issue, it finally stopped doing it, so I know it isn't supposed to idle so high and loud. It's so loud it's embarrassing. I can't go under 30 mph or it doesn't shift correctly. School zones are a nightmare. It's as if there's a bungee cord tied to my bumper and when I take my foot off the gas it starts pulling me back. My odometer drops immediately. It's really frustrating on a new vehicle and after owning it 1 year TODAY, I'm ready to cut my losses and trade it in.

I'm going to take it in one more time. The first time I took it in, they didn't know what was wrong and said it needed to break in. The second time, they had to make up a code to fix it. It didn't do much. I took it again the week the recalls came out for other cars (they hadn't even posted yet) so they did that "fix." Then, whaddyaknow, ot came out for the Ascent a few weeks later. It did work better for a few weeks and slowly slipped back into the old ways. Now it's worse than ever. I'm trying to be patient, but I'm tired of dreading driving my new car. If they don't fix it this time, I'm done with Subaru.
Why not get SOA involved and also work with a different dealer? This sounds like a computer software issue. You should also document it with the camera and or a data capturing device.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts