Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 60 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also apparently had the latest pads installed as well. So same pads, resurfaced front rotors and now I can hear the noise but at least I can’t feel it like I did before. I also want to stress that I don’t drive this car any differently than I did with my crv and I replaced /resurfaced the rotors on that car only twice in 182,000 miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The brakes on the Ascent are junk. We have had our 2020 in numerous times in the first 10k miles, pads replaced, rotors resurfaced, etc. We are at nearly 11k miles, and I am about to take it in for its second regular maintenance visit. The brakes grind, and the steering wheel judders. This has gotten worse the last 3k miles.

This needs to be fixed. Are there any specific talking points or advice to cut straight to the chase without any run-around from a dealership?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The brakes on the Ascent are junk. We have had our 2020 in numerous times in the first 10k miles, pads replaced, rotors resurfaced, etc. We are at nearly 11k miles, and I am about to take it in for its second regular maintenance visit. The brakes grind, and the steering wheel judders. This has gotten worse the last 3k miles.

This needs to be fixed. Are there any specific talking points or advice to cut straight to the chase without any run-around from a dealership?
Contact Subaru of America. Collect your facts first so you can explain exactly what has happened and work performed.

At the least you get it on SoA’s radar and have a case number to refer to at the dealer. Ideally SoA steps in to work with the dealer on making things right.

If you’re still not satisfied research lemon law in your state. Brakes being a safety system they may have limited chances to get it right before qualifying as a lemon.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
12,726 Posts
I can't speak to what is or is not causing specific people's problems, but, to everyone getting new brakes and new/resurfaced rotors, please remember the 1,000 mile break-in restarts and is very important for proper pad bedding. Don't bother with the "jam on the brakes hard 5 times in a parking lot" method - these aren't 1960's brake pads on an old muscle car. Instead, full thousand mile break-in per the instructions.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Currently dealing with this hassle again on our 2020.
Dealer’s on the defense and I’m about to lose it on them.
The brakes are clearly F’d on the Ascent. 11 Subarus and only 2 had crappy brakes - the Ascent has been the worst.
Subaru needs to step up and do an actual recall because some of the dealers are sick of doing brake jobs and they’re starting to push back on the customer, which is BS.
A TSB is not enough, apparently.

·
Administrator
12,726 Posts
Currently dealing with this hassle again on our 2020.
Dealer’s on the defense and I’m about to lose it on them.
The brakes are clearly F’d on the Ascent. 11 Subarus and only 2 had crappy brakes - the Ascent has been the worst.
Subaru needs to step up and do an actual recall because some of the dealers are sick of doing brake jobs and they’re starting to push back on the customer, which is BS.
A TSB is not enough, apparently.
Do you know what they've done in the past, and with what parts?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,378 Posts
Brake jobs are paid warranty work for dealers. Warranty-pay jobs are usually not as much money as customer-pay jobs, but it's still work that keeps their shops busy and their techs employed. Dealers really need to push back on Subaru if they're observing complaint patterns that don't improve, not customers (I'm sure we all agree on this).

Having said that, it certainly is curious that Subaru's on the fourth version of front brake pad for the Ascent. It seems apparent that they're chasing something with it and can't get whatever that something is quite right.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Do you know what they've done in the past, and with what parts?
Have 26K mi on the car now. @ 12K the brakes were completely shot and they replaced both the pads and rotors with pad part/rev 2. They felt great for about 4k miles and then same thing - grinding / shaking etc and we’ve been dealing with it ever since. I advised them of the issue again about 5k mi ago and have been getting the run-around.
I just need to leave the car with them. It interesting they’re on their 4th pad now as about 3 months ago he seemed to say they were on their 3rd. Any feedback on how pad #4 is doing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
2020 Subaru Ascent Limited, I have been back to the dealership at least 5 times for this problem they changed the right front rotor and pads first time ,then after still no joy and many complaints and my own video with sound played for the service manager they stated they changed both front rotors and pads with superseded pad numbers (D) ,well that didn't work. After some searching I changed the front rotors with drilled and slotted rotors with a set of new pads, I also found out they never changed the left front rotor, It was still rusted to the hub I had to use the brake screw holes on the rotor to brake it free from the hub. the right side rotor just pulled off like butter.so far I have great joy. It is sad to say I do not trust the dealership service department. I am back to my days of doing heavy collision/car repair which I gave up for my career I am in for 33 years now. I also picked up the Autel diagnostic computer to do the rest of the work if need be .

·
Administrator
12,726 Posts
Any feedback on how pad #4 is doing?
I am running Version B, with no issues, still. Version D goes on in another 1,500 miles. I had an absolutely perfect break in, which I think contributed to the perfect brake operation. And that's not a dig at anyone; as I mentioned elsewhere (maybe FB, maybe here), I had my brakes done, picked up my car Friday morning, drove 25 miles home, packed the car, and started a 2,800 mile road trip. They had 1,200 perfectly done break-in miles (and then I went off roading in Ocala National Forest).

It's not that easy for most people to do a proper break in - myself included (and my first set of brakes were "broken in" wrong a bunch of times during the first 1,000 miles no matter how much I tried, thanks to NYC Metro traffic)

I also found out they never changed the left front rotor, It was still rusted to the hub
Sad to hear about your experiences. I hope you let SoA know directly. Considering everything, I am wondering if they followed the proper greasing instructions to allow the pads to properly move and break in.

·
Registered
738 Posts
2020 Subaru Ascent Limited, I have been back to the dealership at least 5 times for this problem they changed the right front rotor and pads first time ,then after still no joy and many complaints and my own video with sound played for the service manager they stated they changed both front rotors and pads with superseded pad numbers (D) ,well that didn't work. After some searching I changed the front rotors with drilled and slotted rotors with a set of new pads, I also found out they never changed the left front rotor, It was still rusted to the hub I had to use the brake screw holes on the rotor to brake it free from the hub. the right side rotor just pulled off like butter.so far I have great joy. It is sad to say I do not trust the dealership service department. I am back to my days of doing heavy collision/car repair which I gave up for my career I am in for 33 years now. I also picked up the Autel diagnostic computer to do the rest of the work if need be .
I recently did aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors / better pads on another vehicle, with success.

@ K9cop Would you mind sharing what you bought for the Ascent?

Thing is, the Ascent’s factory brakes are excellent when they’re new and working. Excellent initial bite and power. And I paid a crapload of money for Subaru’s 6yr warranty for crap like this. I’d like them to just freakin’ fix the issue for good.

This is their flagship SUV in the most competitive market there is. They really need to pay attention here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently did aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors / better pads on another vehicle, with success.

@ K9cop Would you mind sharing what you bought for the Ascent?

Thing is, the Ascent’s factory brakes are excellent when they’re new and working. Excellent initial bite and power. And I paid a crapload of money for Subaru’s 6yr warranty for crap like this. I’d like them to just freakin’ fix the issue for good.

This is their flagship SUV in the most competitive market there is. They really need to pay attention here.
2020 Subaru Ascent | Brake Rotors and Pads | R1concepts

I hope this helps , I will post how my brakes and rotors are . I did a good brake in the site has some instructions to follow if you wish. Be Safe . also I don't believe the extended warranty covers brakes, as I was informed by the dealership service it was only to 36,000 miles. but maybe they are wrong ( parts that are wearable )

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am running Version B, with no issues, still. Version D goes on in another 1,500 miles. I had an absolutely perfect break in, which I think contributed to the perfect brake operation. And that's not a dig at anyone; as I mentioned elsewhere (maybe FB, maybe here), I had my brakes done, picked up my car Friday morning, drove 25 miles home, packed the car, and started a 2,800 mile road trip. They had 1,200 perfectly done break-in miles (and then I went off roading in Ocala National Forest).

It's not that easy for most people to do a proper break in - myself included (and my first set of brakes were "broken in" wrong a bunch of times during the first 1,000 miles no matter how much I tried, thanks to NYC Metro traffic)

Sad to hear about your experiences. I hope you let SOA know directly. Considering everything, I am wondering if they followed the proper greasing instructions to allow the pads to properly move and break in.
I have been through the SOA route they were no help, As I stated I had to make a video with sound, even after the service manager watched and heard the noise which was loud he still stated ok I will make an appointment for you next week and have a loaner ready. In my opinion when it has to do with brakes and he knows there id a problem he should have taken the car off the road until fixed it's a safety issue..

·
Registered
738 Posts
^^ Thanks for the link. Did you just buy fronts? Or F/R?

So part of the point of the warranty is to cover something defective - even if it’s a wear item. Brakes that are toast @ 12K miles are defective. Then the replacements quickly becoming toast in the same timeframe are also defective. They should be replaced. They really should do a recall since brakes are a safety item.

As far as breaking in is concerned, I’ve driven / owned a lot of cars or all shapes and sizes with all sorts of brakes. I know how to break in brakes and I know how to make brakes last many tens of thousands of miles. 60K miles + in the car our Ascent replaced.

·
Administrator
12,726 Posts
he should have taken the car off the road until fixed it's a safety issue..
Noisy brakes aren't a safety issue. ;)

·
Administrator
12,726 Posts
I know how to break in brakes and I know how to make brakes last many tens of thousands of miles. 60K miles + in the car our Ascent replaced.
I'm on my 30th personally owned car, and slightly more than that for work vehicles driven. I had to relearn how to break in brakes properly, because, double chamfered pads do not seem to like the standard way of breaking in the brakes that were in the 29 other cars I've owned. Especially not the old school "slam on the brakes a few times to bed them properly" methods that worked wonders on my classic/muscle cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
^^ Thanks for the link. Did you just buy fronts? Or F/R?

So part of the point of the warranty is to cover something defective - even if it’s a wear item. Brakes that are toast @ 12K miles are defective. Then the replacements quickly becoming toast in the same timeframe are also defective. They should be replaced. They really should do a recall since brakes are a safety item.

As far as breaking in is concerned, I’ve driven / owned a lot of cars or all shapes and sizes with all sorts of brakes. I know how to break in brakes and I know how to make brakes last many tens of thousands of miles. 60K miles + in the car our Ascent replaced.
I purchased just the fronts as your front pads will wear before the rear more weight as you apply your brakes to stop and in my case and in many other people there problems are in the front. Yes there are many NTSB complaints on record . they replace the pads with new superseded pads as there up too Front Pads Part # 26296XC00D the last letter is still going up. Please check with your dealership service department as to what is covered (ie engine and drive train) usually . I agree my first cars had no power brakes drum all around no power steering no hydraulic clutch . I also have the extended and am under the impression it is engine and drive train ,But check with the dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm on my 30th personally owned car, and slightly more than that for work vehicles driven. I had to relearn how to break in brakes properly, because, double chamfered pads do not seem to like the standard way of breaking in the brakes that were in the 29 other cars I've owned. Especially not the old school "slam on the brakes a few times to bed them properly" methods that worked wonders on my classic/muscle cars.
What muscle car did you own, I started with a 68 goat,

·
Administrator
12,726 Posts
it was not noisy brakes the pads where pulsing when applied and steering vibrating .
Yep, mine did that too... annoying, but in my case, it definitely didn't affect my stopping distance. I drove about 20,000 miles like that and tested a few times. I hated it. I ran the original pads to 52,827 miles, but, I had two massive patches of mileage where mine did that. The first time I brought it in to be addressed, they turned the rotors and reinstalled the original pads.
Rectangle Font Circle Number Screenshot

The vibrations returned in about 15,000 miles and stayed until Rev B pads were installed on the original rotors at 52,827 miles. So, all pads lasted 52,827 miles (coulda probably made a few dozen more miles before I hit the scraper bar), and I am on my original rotors.
Rectangle Font Parallel Writing Magenta

I've been running them, all over the country, from Florida to Maine, from Montauk Point Long Island to Utah - so far so good. I am currently at just shy of 30,000 miles on them (29,496 miles). Tomorrow, I break the 30,000 mile mark (and then some) on another road trip.
Font Circle Logo Electric blue Rectangle

41 - 60 of 120 Posts