Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Can I get a consensus from others? Take a close look at your front and rear rotors and see if they have any of these lines on them going from the hub to the edge of the rotor. Ive been feeling a slight roughness in the brake pedal and I'm wondering if this might be the cause. I'm not looking forward to taking her to the shop for brakes again. Pictures attached show the area of concern.
View attachment 4572 View attachment 4573
The lines are unusual. Do they correlate with the internal fins (assuming the factory rotors are finned)?

·
Super Moderator
2,284 Posts
The lines are unusual. Do they correlate with the internal fins (assuming the factory rotors are finned)?
The factory rotors are slotted. I’m going to look at that tomorrow as well as see if some of the lines are parallel to the brake pads

·
Super Moderator
2,284 Posts
So I just checked. I had to use a small pick to feel where the fins are inside the rear rotors...
They do... they’re not directly over a cooling fin but each of them lines up with the edge of a cooling fin 🤔

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm replying to my own post just to publicly acknowledge that I am now on my sixth brake issue in 22 months of owning this car. It is true that up to this point, when the dealer has been able to reproduce my issue, that Subaru has covered the cost. I'm appreciative of that. However, Subaru of America has not really gone to bat for me on this issue and provides me no way to escalate beyond one level. I am now in a situation where my dealership kept my car for 4 days, cannot reproduce the issue, and I'll either need to pay to have it fixed or take it back to the dealership where we bought it with the hopes that they can get to the bottom of it. Still, that likely won't be a permanent fix and I'll be back at it early next year for another round.

It probably goes without saying, but I am quite frustrated about this issue. The dealerships do what they can, but generally I have no advocate. I have owned many cars in my life - including some really 'winners' and I've not had - to my recollection - brake issues as frequent as with this car. Seriously considering getting rid of it and starting over. I'm actually looking into local Lemon Laws, but I don't have a lot of faith in that process being timely or worth it. If I knew that Subaru had fixed this issue in the 2020 or 2021 models, I'd consider buying another one. But if they can fix it in later models, why can't they fix it mine?

One thing is for sure: I am not willing to pledge energy to fighting this battle 3-4 times per year for the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I'm replying to my own post just to publicly acknowledge that I am now on my sixth brake issue in 22 months of owning this car. It is true that up to this point, when the dealer has been able to reproduce my issue, that Subaru has covered the cost. I'm appreciative of that. However, Subaru of America has not really gone to bat for me on this issue and provides me no way to escalate beyond one level. I am now in a situation where my dealership kept my car for 4 days, cannot reproduce the issue, and I'll either need to pay to have it fixed or take it back to the dealership where we bought it with the hopes that they can get to the bottom of it. Still, that likely won't be a permanent fix and I'll be back at it early next year for another round.

It probably goes without saying, but I am quite frustrated about this issue. The dealerships do what they can, but generally I have no advocate. I have owned many cars in my life - including some really 'winners' and I've not had - to my recollection - brake issues as frequent as with this car. Seriously considering getting rid of it and starting over. I'm actually looking into local Lemon Laws, but I don't have a lot of faith in that process being timely or worth it. If I knew that Subaru had fixed this issue in the 2020 or 2021 models, I'd consider buying another one. But if they can fix it in later models, why can't they fix it mine?

One thing is for sure: I am not willing to pledge energy to fighting this battle 3-4 times per year for the life of the vehicle.
It should not matter which dealership you go to since it is under warranty. As long as you can document the issue they will cover it. If the issue continues, demand a SOA regional get involved to inspect the system.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
13 Posts
Issue not fixed with the 2021 model ... CVT is awesome and working, plenty of power, 24-26 MPG , The car is glued to the road even above 80 MPH , not mushy in the rear like other complaints. BUT, still cheap silicon impregnated rotors that at the slightest sign of moisture, rust the shape of the pad into the rotor and cause deformation of rotor surface and then hot spots then brake pulse. I now have 7K on this vehicle and I am going to order a set of front brakes from R1 , I have been a tech for over 20 years and have seen this sort of thing before (Jeep grand Cherokee WJ) Chrysler tried everything , new rotors , new pads , different style of caliper , hub matching the rotors , it all came down to cheep metal in the rotors. It will stop you just fine no worries there , so its not safety in the eyes of the manufacturer, they will just keep putting the same old garbage rotors on until you run out of warranty then blame it on driving conditions. By the way, I drive on the highway 98% of my commute. Believe me its not just Subaru that has this issue even high line cars are having the same issue, best fix is to buy good after market rotors. At minimum (due to the weight) use cross drilled and vented rotors with pads that have less metal in the friction material. I miss the days of asbestos friction material. Quite , great stopping power , makes a mess of the rims and lungs but that sure would stop all the noise and pulsation complaints. Hahaha 😜

Carl

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Issue not fixed with the 2021 model ... CVT is awesome and working, plenty of power, 24-26 MPG , The car is glued to the road even above 80 MPH , not mushy in the rear like other complaints. BUT, still cheap silicon impregnated rotors that at the slightest sign of moisture, rust the shape of the pad into the rotor and cause deformation of rotor surface and then hot spots then brake pulse. I now have 7K on this vehicle and I am going to order a set of front brakes from R1 , I have been a tech for over 20 years and have seen this sort of thing before (Jeep grand Cherokee WJ) Chrysler tried everything , new rotors , new pads , different style of caliper , hub matching the rotors , it all came down to cheep metal in the rotors. It will stop you just fine no worries there , so its not safety in the eyes of the manufacturer, they will just keep putting the same old garbage rotors on until you run out of warranty then blame it on driving conditions. By the way, I drive on the highway 98% of my commute. Believe me its not just Subaru that has this issue even high line cars are having the same issue, best fix is to buy good after market rotors. At minimum (due to the weight) use cross drilled and vented rotors with pads that have less metal in the friction material. I miss the days of asbestos friction material. Quite , great stopping power , makes a mess of the rims and lungs but that sure would stop all the noise and pulsation complaints. Hahaha 😜

Carl
today I learned the dealership is once again replacing my pads and rotors. Presumambly the pads will be the fourth iteration. I have the gold plus plan so I suspect if the poor quality rotors are the issue, that I will have these replaced under warranty for many years to come.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
today I learned the dealership is once again replacing my pads and rotors. Presumambly the pads will be the fourth iteration. I have the gold plus plan so I suspect if the poor quality rotors are the issue, that I will have these replaced under warranty for many years to come.
update:

the dealership replaced my pads with revision D, resurfaced rotors (I still have 29+ thickness) and replaced my ball joints all under warranty. I have just over 37,000 miles and the Gold Plus zero deductible. They stated they drive it afterwards to brake in the pads. No noise noticed after this work.

·
Super Moderator
2,284 Posts
update:

…and replaced my ball joints all under warranty. I have just over 37,000 miles and the Gold Plus zero deductible. They stated they drive it afterwards to brake in the pads. No noise noticed after this work.
what was the reason for doing the ball joints?
(I have only a couple thousand miles more than you and the same gold plus to 100k mi)
Please keep us posted here after several thousand miles on the new pads and resurfaced rotors. Last time mine were replaced (revision b pads) the noise was gone for a while but has come back with a vengeance lately. I’m going a different route this time and putting on aftermarket front rotors and pads. I’ll be happy to save my old set for future use if all goes well with yours and/or aftermarket aren’t up to par.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
what was the reason for doing the ball joints?
(I have only a couple thousand miles more than you and the same gold plus to 100k mi)
Please keep us posted here after several thousand miles on the new pads and resurfaced rotors. Last time mine were replaced (revision b pads) the noise was gone for a while but has come back with a vengeance lately. I’m going a different route this time and putting on aftermarket front rotors and pads. I’ll be happy to save my old set for future use if all goes well with yours and/or aftermarket aren’t up to par.
I just reported noise from the passenger wheel. I thought it was a warped rotor given the frequency during rotations. They must have looked into it and found too much play and or dried joints.

·
Registered
51 Posts
2020 Ascent with 8,000 miles. Pads and rotors all around. At least it is covered under warranty. My old 2019 Ascent had the same issue at ~12,000 miles or so.

8,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
2020 Ascent with 8,000 miles. Pads and rotors all around. At least it is covered under warranty. My old 2019 Ascent had the same issue at ~12,000 miles or so.

8,000 miles.
were your pads replaced with c or d version pads? you can read this in the parts number on your invoice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchase a CPO 2021 Ascent with just over 4000 miles on March 31 and yesterday I had to take it in for a loud shuddering vibration from highway speed car now has just over 8000 miles. Service advisor said he wants to turn all four rotors and check to see if I have the latest pads installed. They had the car all day yesterday and asked if they could keep it this morning as well. I always assumed new rotor surface new pads regardless of the mileage but we will see…not thrilled about this issue. Disc brakes are not a new technology and this being the third model year I thought Subaru would have this issue figured out. I am patiently waiting and understand all cars have issues, hopefully this will be resolved for good.

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just when braking just got back from 150 mile trip after dealer resurfaced front rotors only helped greatly but not 100%…i’ll see if the problem gets worse and go back in

21 - 40 of 41 Posts