Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed slight brake grinding when I drove home my new 2020 Ascent. I thought it might be a new break-in issue. Drove another one and no such issue. Dealer checked it out, found “front rotors to be pulsing and vibrating.” They replaced rotors and pads. Now it’s better but still there. Could this be an issue further up the assembly than the roters?

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
Noticed slight brake grinding when I drove home my new 2020 Ascent. I thought it might be a new break-in issue. Drove another one and no such issue. Dealer checked it out, found “front rotors to be pulsing and vibrating.” They replaced rotors and pads. Now it’s better but still there. Could this be an issue further up the assembly than the roters?
Not that's been reported. Did they grease the pads?

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been to our dealership three time in 10 months to address the brakes on our vehicle. Pulsating, grinding. I filed a complaint with Subaru, b/c at my last visit (today) the dealership told me that Subaru told them not to perform any repair on the car (they are working on some sort of fix?). I honestly don't know who to believe but I am driving a still-under-warranty-less-than-1-year-old Ascent with brake problems. I am hoping Subaru - and by extension the dealership - will make good on whatever short and long term remedies need to be applied.

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
I've been to our dealership three time in 10 months to address the brakes on our vehicle. Pulsating, grinding. I filed a complaint with Subaru, b/c at my last visit (today) the dealership told me that Subaru told them not to perform any repair on the car (they are working on some sort of fix?). I honestly don't know who to believe but I am driving a still-under-warranty-less-than-1-year-old Ascent with brake problems. I am hoping Subaru - and by extension the dealership - will make good on whatever short and long term remedies need to be applied.
Have you considered calling Subaru of America, or contacting a different dealership? I would do both.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, I have an SR# from Subaru. Subaru told me I should expect a callback today concerning my complaint. In the meantime I'm attempting to make contact with the dealer who sold us the vehicle.

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
Yes, I have an SR# from Subaru. Subaru told me I should expect a callback today concerning my complaint. In the meantime I'm attempting to make contact with the dealer who sold us the vehicle.
My dealer turned mine, and reinstalled the pads per the instructions in the TSB related to pad installation. I'm at 42,000 miles (and then some) without issue since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Subaru has acknowledged the problem and is apparently working to solve. No ETA on permanent fix, however my local dealer got clearance to provide me with workaround until then - which amounted to new front/rear rotors yesterday covered under warranty. I estimate they’ve now covered about $1,200 of labor and parts on this issue just this year.

I’m pleased that I’ve received support locally and from Subaru so far. Now, if it takes them another year to solve I’m sure my dealer won’t be super happy, but they’ve partnered with me to solve, so I hope they keep up the pressure on Subaru. Plenty of heavy vehicles out on the road outfitted with quality rotors.....

·
Super Moderator
2,284 Posts
Are they supposed to look like this?
E58A9D88-21CF-425A-A59A-118A99360CFB.jpeg

Unfortunately it’s taken 4 dealership visits to make any progress but hopefully 4th time is a charm (different dealer than the first 3; shout out to RK Subaru for taking care of me this time)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Are they supposed to look like this?
View attachment 2597
Unfortunately it’s taken 4 dealership visits to make any progress but hopefully 4th time is a charm (different dealer than the first 3; shout out to RK Subaru for taking care of me this time)
I don’t think so...my front rotors had blue streaks. Dealer replaced the front pads and rotors. Glad you got them fixed.

·
Super Moderator
2,284 Posts
I don’t think so...my front rotors had blue streaks. Dealer replaced the front pads and rotors. Glad you got them fixed.
Blue streaks? Getting them fixed. I’m not taking it back with anything less than new rotors.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Mine had obvious overheat marks That is the blue streaks. If yours has signs like that of overheating I am sure they will replace the rotors. Not sure why mine did because I am fairly easy on the brakes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2019 Ascent in Ontario, Canada. Pulsating under highway braking (higher speeds). Subaru replaced the rotors under warranty as they were warped. I had 20K on the Ascent. I hope the replacement rotors are better quality than from the factory if they are not this seems like an issue that many people will run into again and again.

·
Registered
724 Posts
My 2020 has had this since purchase. Right out of the showroom. What the heck?
Does swapping rotors seriously solve the issue long term?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi-
I’m noticing the same on my 2020 Ascent. I purchased it two days ago and now I’m noticing loud squeals when I brake. Seems like its coming from the right side not both sides. Little disappointed I have to drop a new car off at a dealership for service.

Lady I spoke with over the phone at Subaru mentioned a glazing on the brakes that they could try to remove?

Anybody heard anything similar? Should I just ask for new rotors instead?

t

·
Super Moderator
2,284 Posts
Can I get a consensus from others? Take a close look at your front and rear rotors and see if they have any of these lines on them going from the hub to the edge of the rotor. Ive been feeling a slight roughness in the brake pedal and I'm wondering if this might be the cause. I'm not looking forward to taking her to the shop for brakes again. Pictures attached show the area of concern.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts