Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.
I have seen other post that their Ascent brakes have had issues. Our brakes started squeaking day 2 of getting it with 5 miles on it. So far we have had two service appointments. First they blew the brake lines out and that helped a bit but was back by the time we got home. Second service they machined the front rotors lightly to remove any glaze. That fixed it for a day, but is back but not as bad. When it goes back I'm guessing they will want to machine the rears. I had said I didn't want to go this route as it essentially kills the life of the brand new rotors. Thoughts?

We also have a pinched weather stripping requiring a full replacement of the front passenger seal. In addition to that both front window's shudder when the window are wet/wash the car. Now they are going to replace both weather stripping and lucubrate the mechanisms with the window.

Lastly we have a creaking cup holder that creaks loudly anytime you turn the cars slightly. They are replacing the whole cup holder trim pieces as it's not to standard. The chrome trim piece is the spot we isolated to.

We love the car, and so far great service from our local dealer. Sadly these issues have damped our excitement on such a big investment. I'm debating calling SOA about the brakes but scared our local dealer won't be as helpful once we make the call.

Anyone else encounter these issues and had them resolved?

Best,
Adam

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
What do they mean by “blew the brake lines?”
FWIW my driver side window has always done that when it’s wet. It hasn’t gotten better or worse so I’m not too worried about it. Even when it does shudder it sounds better than any of the windows in my ‘98 Bimmer ?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
What do they mean by “blew the brake lines?”
FWIW my driver side window has always done that when it’s wet. It hasn’t gotten better or worse so I’m not too worried about it. Even when it does shudder it sounds better than any of the windows in my ‘98 Bimmer ?
"blew the brake lines out"

Brake system flush.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Hello all.
I have seen other post that their Ascent brakes have had issues. Our brakes started squeaking day 2 of getting it with 5 miles on it. So far we have had two service appointments. First they blew the brake lines out and that helped a bit but was back by the time we got home. Second service they machined the front rotors lightly to remove any glaze. That fixed it for a day, but is back but not as bad. When it goes back I'm guessing they will want to machine the rears. I had said I didn't want to go this route as it essentially kills the life of the brand new rotors. Thoughts?

We also have a pinched weather stripping requiring a full replacement of the front passenger seal. In addition to that both front window's shudder when the window are wet/wash the car. Now they are going to replace both weather stripping and lucubrate the mechanisms with the window.

Lastly we have a creaking cup holder that creaks loudly anytime you turn the cars slightly. They are replacing the whole cup holder trim pieces as it's not to standard. The chrome trim piece is the spot we isolated to.

We love the car, and so far great service from our local dealer. Sadly these issues have damped our excitement on such a big investment. I'm debating calling SOA about the brakes but scared our local dealer won't be as helpful once we make the call.

Anyone else encounter these issues and had them resolved?

Best,
Adam
I would suggest that after repairing the brakes (assuming the rotors are reduced) they give the next rotors for free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would suggest that after repairing the brakes (assuming the rotors are reduced) they give the next rotors for free.
So far it's been in service 3x for the brake issue. They machined the front and rears, and it still makes noise. It seems quieter but not resolved. I guess SOA will be my next stop, it seems it can't simply be serviced by the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As for the cupholder, that was replaced and the squeaks continue. I've looked in to it and probably will be taking off the center console and lining the screws/contact points with felt tape. I do not want the dealer to hold on to the car again, as it took them a week to do the brakes, weather stripping, and cup holder.

The only issue that was resolved was the shuddering windows, they redid both window weather stripping and re-lubed the track etc.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
As for the cupholder, that was replaced and the squeaks continue. I've looked in to it and probably will be taking off the center console and lining the screws/contact points with felt tape. I do not want the dealer to hold on to the car again, as it took them a week to do the brakes, weather stripping, and cup holder.

The only issue that was resolved was the shuddering windows, they redid both window weather stripping and re-lubed the track etc.
Find another dealer and call SOA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any update on the brake situation? My brakes are squealing, and I don't want to waste my time going to the dealership again. The first time, they just said that it's "normal". I've never driven a car in my life that squeals like this. I heard from another post that they're releasing new brakes? Has that happened yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any update on the brake situation? My brakes are squealing, and I don't want to waste my time going to the dealership again. The first time, they just said that it's "normal". I've never driven a car in my life that squeals like this. I heard from another post that they're releasing new brakes? Has that happened yet?
Nothing new, we've only had it back for a couple weeks. It's been serviced 3x with under 3,000 miles. Need some time off from the dealership. My next thing to to call SOA. Personally I don't think anything will fix the brakes on these cars unless they are all new brakes. New as in different type, as others have had new brakes put on and it still happens.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Front pads:
  • Part Number: 26296XC00B ◀ NEW
  • Supersession(s): 26296XC00A

Neither front discs or rear discs or rear pads have changed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m also getting brake squeak on our 2020 ascent. Noticed it at 800 miles and still squealing during light braking around 40 mph at 4k. Dealer explained that SoA is still working on a fix, but that it’s the pad material. They assured me it wouldn’t damage the rotors, but not sure I trust that. Suggested I keep checking in for future update ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have had the same break issue since day 1, brought to dealer 3x said new pads are causing it. Have 18k miles and really bad and now feel rotors are going.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.