Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought our 2019 Ascent from the first shipment that arrived to our dealer. The brakes squealed occasionally, but not enough to bring them in for replacement like some have here. We just dealt with it until they were worn and ready for replacement last June. Shortly after getting new pads and rotors, they were squealing. Now I have to say, I cannot hear it. It is at a hertz/frequency/whatever that is the same as the ringing in my ear. However, my wife and three kids hear it all the time. My son states every time, "YOU CAN'T HEAR THAT??!!". So, around August or so I saw the TSB out for the brake pad design that was supposed to stop the squealing. Drive 30 mins to the dealer, they can't hear it. Drive home, and record the sound when my son says it makes it. Go back to the dealer a, play the sound, a few can't hear it, but others can. The replicate the sound, change out all the pads to the new design. This was in December. Well the new pads are squealing again, of course I can't hear it, but everyone else in the car can. I guess I don't know what to do at this point, Subaru pads for the Ascent suck and when I talked to a shop to replace the brakes, they said only the Subaru ones were available.

Anyone else having similar issues?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just had ours replaced per the recall. We do hear a squeak a little at the end. However, we figured we give it a little time for the brakes to bed in a little. We didn’t have a squeak to begin with, more of a grinding during hard braking that had us have the shop looking into it.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,377 Posts
Our 2020 Ascent is at the dealer today for a squeal that has returned since installing the new (3rd redesign) brake pads. It's also there for the hood shake, to rebond the hood skin to the structure underneath.

I'm really surprised that aftermarket pads aren't available for these yet.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Our 2020 Ascent is at the dealer today for a squeal that has returned since installing the new (3rd redesign) brake pads. It's also there for the hood shake, to rebond the hood skin to the structure underneath.

I'm really surprised that aftermarket pads aren't available for these yet.
Napa shows pads for 2019 ascent

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,377 Posts
Unfortunately, our dealer has extended its disappointing service history on this latest visit. The brake noise "could not be replicated" and they attempted to fix the hood shake by unscrewing the rubber stoppers.

I drove it home on the interstate and the hood skin is still shaking and the brakes squealed on the deceleration on the off-ramp.

I've become pretty dissatisfied with our dealership's service department. I'll write another email to try to get this resolved. I may be resorting to aftermarket brake pads sooner than I had hoped.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Unfortunately, our dealer has extended its disappointing service history on this latest visit. The brake noise "could not be replicated" and they attempted to fix the hood shake by unscrewing the rubber stoppers.

I drove it home on the interstate and the hood skin is still shaking and the brakes squealed on the deceleration on the off-ramp.

I've become pretty dissatisfied with our dealership's service department. I'll write another email to try to get this resolved. I may be resorting to aftermarket brake pads sooner than I had hoped.
I would imagine there are numerous dealers in your area to choose from for service.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,377 Posts
I would imagine there are numerous dealers in your area to choose from for service.
The next closest dealer would, unfortunately, require too much of a time commitment for me to be interested in pursuing that option (70-80 mile round trip). If we can just get the initial things worked out of this car, I'll be happy to not take it back in unless absolutely required.

I've considered doing the hood bonding procedure myself, but it appears to require a special application gun (tool) that mixes the two parts of the adhesive. If it was a simple one-part adhesive, I'd buy the parts and do it myself. If and when a quality brake pad is available for the front brakes, I'll probably replace the brakes myself as well.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,377 Posts
I try to let the techs and service advisors do their jobs, but this is often to my own frustration. I even seeded my complaint with all the right key words. I said the hood panel skin vibrates at high speed and especially in cross winds, almost as if it's become unbonded from the structure underneath. Then they give me the car back with jacked up hood bumpers, clearly not having test-driven the car.

I guess I will have to be more blunt.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
Your description of the problems is a good start, but if you know about a TSB, it's not a horrible idea to provide a copy.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts

I would let SOA know that despite your clear concern about the hood, the dealer did not initiate the tsb that was or should have been known to the service department at the time. Consider talking with the head of the service department as to why they did not follow the tsb.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We bought our 2019 Ascent from the first shipment that arrived to our dealer. The brakes squealed occasionally, but not enough to bring them in for replacement like some have here. We just dealt with it until they were worn and ready for replacement last June. Shortly after getting new pads and rotors, they were squealing. Now I have to say, I cannot hear it. It is at a hertz/frequency/whatever that is the same as the ringing in my ear. However, my wife and three kids hear it all the time. My son states every time, "YOU CAN'T HEAR THAT??!!". So, around August or so I saw the TSB out for the brake pad design that was supposed to stop the squealing. Drive 30 mins to the dealer, they can't hear it. Drive home, and record the sound when my son says it makes it. Go back to the dealer a, play the sound, a few can't hear it, but others can. The replicate the sound, change out all the pads to the new design. This was in December. Well the new pads are squealing again, of course I can't hear it, but everyone else in the car can. I guess I don't know what to do at this point, Subaru pads for the Ascent suck and when I talked to a shop to replace the brakes, they said only the Subaru ones were available.

Anyone else having similar issues?
ohhh man I have the same issue, we just have to find a different brand I'm about purchase this one ----> For Subaru Ascent 19-20 Disc Brake Pads Power Stop Z16 Evolution Clean Ride | eBay

·
Super Moderator
4,578 Posts
Just keep in mind that during your Subaru 3/36 OEM warranty, brake pads are covered under that warranty at no cost. (same for wiper blades)

·
Super Moderator
4,578 Posts
rotors are as well if they prematurely wear.
True, but they are not called out in the warranty language like the pads and wipers are.

Reactions: packout
1 - 20 of 24 Posts