Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having issues with the brakes squealing especially after a lot of stop and go driving? We noticed this happening two weeks ago and ours only has 800 miles on it. I spoke to another owner yesterday and he noticed the same thing. Just wondering if this a problem for others and if I should take the car in to have it checked. Thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would think it lends itself to breaking in the brakes. (bedding them) Have you called your dealer/service dept to get a set answer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brakes still squealing!

Yes, after only 400 miles on our Ascent we noticed the brakes were squealing. Took our vehicle in for service and the technician indicated the brake pads were not aligned properly. After waiting a week for the new brake pads to come in, we took our vehicle back and they installed them.

A week later the same issue has come up. The brakes are squealing again. So once again, back to the dealership we go.

Not feeling the LOVE right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Had the same issue with the brakes squealing. Had the brake pads replaced at the dealership, but same issue occurred within 2 days. Spoke to Troncalli Subaru of Cumming, they investigated the issue and found the answer.

As of 2019, brake pads can not contain copper anymore. Federal regulation according to my dealership. So, after about 4,000 miles the brake squealing should disappear. A regional Subaru sales manager confirms this.

Not sure if all dealerships know this or not?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any other users experiencing this or update info? I’m at about 3k and I started noticing the squealing for almost a week and half now. Reaching out to my local dealer to see what they suggest. Mentioned the previous post about 2019 brakes causing this issue and how another Subaru regional sales manager confirmed this. So far the local dealer at Haldeman Subaru (NJ) hasn’t heard anything about this.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Yes, after only 400 miles on our Ascent we noticed the brakes were squealing. Took our vehicle in for service and the technician indicated the brake pads were not aligned properly. After waiting a week for the new brake pads to come in, we took our vehicle back and they installed them.

A week later the same issue has come up. The brakes are squealing again. So once again, back to the dealership we go.

Not feeling the LOVE right now.
No worries, you will fit right in with all the AMG/MB owners.

·
Administrator
13,172 Posts
No squeal yet, 5,678 miles so far. Still have the speed limit sign issue where it keeps switching the display to KPH even though the settings are locked at MPH.

EDIT: Wow, 5678 miles. How neat.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi all,

Had the same issue with the brakes squealing. Had the brake pads replaced at the dealership, but same issue occurred within 2 days. Spoke to Troncalli Subaru of Cumming, they investigated the issue and found the answer.

As of 2019, brake pads can not contain copper anymore. Federal regulation according to my dealership. So, after about 4,000 miles the brake squealing should disappear. A regional Subaru sales manager confirms this.

Not sure if all dealerships know this or not?
Have this stopped for you? I heard the squeal recently. Ours is at around 1100KM. From what people say here, I guess there is no point getting it in the dealership if it'll go away soon?

Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ever since my close encounter and automatic braking engaged a while back, my brakes squeal and creek once in a while. Its not enough to bother me because I know it will just come back up if I get them replaced. Ill just wait until they issue a recall if they do. I try my best to stay away from dealerships when fixing my car. Since this is a lease I wont go crazy over it.

·
Administrator
13,172 Posts
Mine just started squealing, generally toward the end of coming to a stop. Annoying on a new car.
How many miles have you driven so far?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a limited and a touring on the same day. Brakes started squealing on the touring about 3000 miles in. Have had the front and rear pads replaced along with the front rotors at this point and every time I have something replaced the squealing gets worse. At nearly 7000 miles on the squealing one now. My limited brakes have never made a peep and it has over 5000. Subaru is flying an engineer our for a second time to look at it. That whole wait it out bit is a bunch of bull. Other than the brake issue, we love our ascents and have a 2019 Forester due in any day now. Would love to hear updates from the others with the squealing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ve got about 2500 and the car still squeals, especially in the morning. Maybe because the brakes/rotors are cold. Don’t hear it other than cold starts. But it sure is embarrassing for my brand new car to squeal out of the neighborhood!

Any updates from anyone else?

I plan to have the dealership look at it, which likely will be a giant waste of time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My wife's CX-5 did the same thing until I put new pads on it 40k miles later. I've read that some new formulations for brake pads really hate any type of moisture on them. Even the smallest amount of dew in the morning make them squeak like crazy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine does the same first thing in the morning at low speed pulling out of my driveway. It then goes away.

My recent 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport did exactly the same in the mornings.

I think these new-fangled brakes don't like any moisture.

If the sound persists after a couple minutes of driving, may be something more.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.